+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Tip] Run Applications in Background(er)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I have previously said that FlyCast is better than all the other streaming music apps available for the iPhone for one reason. FlyCast allows me to browse the web while
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default [Tip] Run Applications in Background(er)

I have previously said that FlyCast is better than all the other streaming music apps available for the iPhone for one reason. FlyCast allows me to browse the web while listening to music. I wished for that ability in my personal favorite AppStore app Pandora. Not only has my wish come true I can now check my mail, surf the net, and do other things while listening to my beloved Pandora (please don't die).

How is this possible? Backgrounder.

Released via Cydia Backgrounder is an extension to SpringBoard that allows applications that would normally be terminated when exited to run in the background. Not only is it awesome, it's also easy to use!

Enter the application of your choice. Hold the home button and you will see the message "Backgrounding Enabled." The app will exit sending you back to the homescreen but it will still be running!

To disable Backgrounding enter back into the application and hold the home button.

If the basic features aren't enough you can also specify apps that will enable Backgrounder by default.

Create a new plist.
    Code:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/jp.ashikase.backgrounder.plist
    Format it as follows:
    HTML Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
      <dict>
        <key>enabled_apps</key>
        <array>
          <string>com.apple.weather</string>
          <string>com.apple.calculator</string>
        </array>
      </dict>
    </plist>
    Freaking awesome app. Check out the dev's site. Mad props.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

fungrified (10-07-2008), l0uisz (10-05-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i love using these music stream apps at LA fitness
    Last edited by andrewe13; 10-03-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

SLIGHTLY off topic maybe... I have been using this with palringo and after 10-15 minutes it still closes. What gives?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW this BRICKED MY IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully restoring right now............................... jesus christ, right after it installed in cydia, it just froze up restarting the springboard.. just hangs on the apple logo starting up now !

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Works great for me.

The only issue ("0" notification badge issue) I've had has been reported on gaizin's page.

Works great though! I was able to run Tuner, BeejiveIM, and Safari all at the same time with no issues.

On 1.1.4, running OrbLive (for radio), AgileMessenger, and Safari all at the same time was a nightmare.

Great work gaizin!

Thanks

wow! i saw it today but didnt know how to use it. now that i do, cant wait to reinstall and try it again!! AWESOME!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWW this BRICKED MY IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully restoring right now............................... jesus christ, right after it installed in cydia, it just froze up restarting the springboard.. just hangs on the apple logo starting up now !
    Yeah, when my phone freezes/hangs on the Apple logo iJust hold the sleep+home until iT restarts again. That usually does the trick for me! Then again, i'M still on 1.14. Waitin' for iToday and vWallpaper aka video background on lock and home screen. And iCan't forget video ringtone which iS also iNcluded with vWallpaper. Just upload pretty much any .mp4/.mov and your good to go!

-sent from my iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone dhruvmalik's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, finally we will be able to keep our IM client connected. Tested it with parlingo, beejiveIM so far and works great.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    SLIGHTLY off topic maybe... I have been using this with palringo and after 10-15 minutes it still closes. What gives?

Dont expect the app to be sittin there no matter wut.... the iphone has shared mamory for all its apps as soon as the system needs some ram n somethin is usin it.. it wil be terminated! Palringo is not light on memory usage as i saw.. Aim on the other hand seems to stay still (even tho i get like 7 times the same message ) while usin safari, which matters the most to me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Would anybody care to provide the repo source for this tool? Thanks.
    Last edited by Marecki; 10-03-2008 at 06:32 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default A little offtopic but..
    Ive been trying to find a way to pick up pandora ever since it was released for the iphone but I live in canada and supposedly it isnt available on the canadian appstore. Does anyone know of a roundabout way of getting the app onto my phone? Thanks..

Green Apple
    Thanks

i installed backgrounder, but when i'm in an application i.e. beejive i press the and hold the home button, but it just quits the program, no popup. i also tried in pandora, same thing. anybody know what could be the problem?
    i think i'm getting an error: key.mismatch???
    Last edited by moto_noob; 10-03-2008 at 07:53 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

i found out that you can not SSH into your phone if you have an app running. other than that, i like that it works with pandora and palringo (for the 1 minute that i tested it it did)

Green Apple
    Thanks

using beehive right now, programs works perfect for me. Thanks fellas

Thanks

It doesn't work for me either. I have Intelliscreen installed. Could that be blocking the Backgrounder app from running?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It was not working for me. I had Intelliscreen Installed. I unistalled intelliscreen and now it works.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colorado Steve's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing I don't like is that this app makes my songs skip like a dirty cd sometimes.
    other than that, this app is whats been missing.

Thanks

Love this app except it deosn't follow my default sound settings and vibrates even when on silent

Thanks

I installed this and noticed an adverse effect on quicktime clips via Safari. The first one opens fine, then if you click Done and try to open another you get no video.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyreiz View Post
    It was not working for me. I had Intelliscreen Installed. I unistalled intelliscreen and now it works.

Intelliscreen 2.25b3

2.25 BETA 3
    - Support Backgrounder and IS Perf Booster
    - Calendar date label Today/Tomorrow doesn't update unless another calendar event ends first