+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Tip] Run Applications in Background(er)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
dTunes is even better now...
    My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

dTunes is even better now...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

wasn't apple supposed to release their background application with the smiley face in september? what happened?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneWUH View Post
    This app brick my phone! Tried restarting and more, restoring it soon. Hope i can get all my contacts.

FW:2.0
    brick = unusable paperweight.

Thanks

wow does work great thanks for this topic post!!!
    Username : l0uisz
    Device: 16GB iPhone [2G]
    Firmware: 2.2 [ FULLY UNLOCKED ]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone tried running netshare in the background? Works great with visua radio app I use to stream radio. Wow, why wouldn't they include this with un jailbroken os?

Thanks

i love it...this is one thing i REALLY wanted to have on the iphone. seems to work well with AIM and Pandora in the background with safari and other apps running on top.

Custom sebgonz sig.

iPhone? More like MyPhone saifeeab's Avatar
    Thanks

does anyone else have the problem about Cydia not updating the sources properly? Backgrounder doesnt show up in my cydia yet. This is the second time this has happened. First it started with Snapture showing the old version (2.0) (still showing the same) whereas for the world it was 2.1. Then it was Mobile Finder (thank god it corrected that) and now Backgrounder. Correspondence with Saurik too has not helped much .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree with the aboves - this program is not very stable.
    It may work for some, but for me, it made everything function very slow, and caused hangs and freezes.
    Great idea - just needs more work......

Thanks

This **** isn't working with AOL Radio. It worked with AIM, but it it caused AIM to send quaruple copies of incoming IMs. It worked briefly with Twinkle & WhosHere, but it timed out or something after a while.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saifeeab View Post
    does anyone else have the problem about Cydia not updating the sources properly? Backgrounder doesnt show up in my cydia yet. This is the second time this has happened. First it started with Snapture showing the old version (2.0) (still showing the same) whereas for the world it was 2.1. Then it was Mobile Finder (thank god it corrected that) and now Backgrounder. Correspondence with Saurik too has not helped much .
    Same here, the only workaround I know is to uninstall bosssources and reinstall and then you see all the updates.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWW this BRICKED MY IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully restoring right now............................... jesus christ, right after it installed in cydia, it just froze up restarting the springboard.. just hangs on the apple logo starting up now !

Same thing happened with mine. Stayed at the apple logo for 15 - 20 mins and reboots didnt work

Do I have any other option besides restoring the phone from iTunes and losing everything (apps/data)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just found out how this application worked and i have to say that its great. tried it with beejive and flycast and they're both running concurrently and nicely.

Thanks

if you have sbSettings installed it gives you a window of time to use SSH to delete the program

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpulley8 View Post
    if you have sbSettings installed it gives you a window of time to use SSH to delete the program
    dpulley8 - can you elaborate in slightly more detail how that works with sbsettings? it could come in useful down the line. thanks.

Thanks

Post SBsettings
    Quote Originally Posted by pendolino View Post
    dpulley8 - can you elaborate in slightly more detail how that works with sbsettings? it could come in useful down the line. thanks.
    you install Sbsettings and Open SSH
    and SBsettings always leaves ssh on on restart which gives you the window when you see the apple logo to use SSH to try and fix your phone.
    Here is a link to his site where you can learn more.

iPhone SBSettings SSH on Reboot | iPhone News, Help and Guides

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

How do you create this extension or whatever

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/jp.ashikase.backgrounder.plist

and modify the string tags...

enabled_apps

com.apple.weather
    com.apple.calculator

So clueless. lol

When I use Palringo and hold the home button, the background is enabled and works for a couple hours, but after a while, Palringo doesn't stay logged in and I have to wait for it to reload. But it doesn't disable the background, because if I hold the home button again after that happens, it says "background DISabled". What causes this? Will adding that thing up at the beginning of this post fix this issue? I just want Palringo to always run in the background, so I get notified of new IMs all the time.

EDIT: OMG! WTF is up with my title? "What's Jailbreak?" hahaha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

I have previously said that FlyCast is better than all the other streaming music apps available for the iPhone for one reason. FlyCast allows me to browse the web while listening to music. I wished for that ability in my personal favorite AppStore app Pandora. Not only has my wish come true I can now check my mail, surf the net, and do other things while listening to my beloved Pandora (please don't die).

How is this possible? Backgrounder.

Released via Cydia Backgrounder is an extension to SpringBoard that allows applications that would normally be terminated when exited to run in the background. Not only is it awesome, it's also easy to use!

Enter the application of your choice. Hold the home button and you will see the message "Backgrounding Enabled." The app will exit sending you back to the homescreen but it will still be running!

I'm still a 1st Gen Iphone owner, but doesn't the 3G Iphone do this automatically? What programs will it allow you to do simultaneously? Just be phone usage and net access?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    just tried to uninstall this app after it caused my phone/mail apps to act strange, froze up while uninstalling, now i'm stuck with apple logo after several attempts to restart.

careful installing/uninstalling this and remember to back your important data up. I just bought a new computer so I'm pretty much out of luck.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123