Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Crack Down on Cracked Apps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
guess i gotta remove all my cracked apps rofl
...
  1. #21
    What's Jailbreak? solarstar101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    guess i gotta remove all my cracked apps rofl

  2. #22
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Cody Overcash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    11,894
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    yeah the kid that was saying that has no clue what he is talking about. mr- jailbreaking is okay but not having cracked apps. they are both against your user policy so why do you think your better? lol. people kill me with their sanctimonious crap.


    more sanctimonious crap
    jailbreaking technically voids your warranty. It is not illegal.

    Distributing cracked copyrighted software is illegal.

    One is legal, one isn't. There really is no argument to be had about that.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

    DoerrFan (10-01-2008), mbaharvard (09-30-2008), OneRing2Rule (09-30-2008)

  4. #23
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFrost View Post
    Hackers always want to justify what they're doing, of course, but I was impressed by what this one had to say.
    You know, you could replace the word "Appstore" with the name of just about any big software house out there and they'd still stand behind their reasoning for piracy.

    If an app looks like junk, don't buy it, simple. Wait a while, see what the reviews end up being, and perhaps look at it again in the future. If there's still any question, either find a free alternative (Cydia/Installer), or suck it up and go without. If it looks good, shell out the few dollars to give the bloody dev a pat on the back, and use the app.

    There are a few "expensive" apps in the appstore (if you can even call $10 "Expensive") that I didn't buy when they first came out because I wasn't sure if they were quality or not. I waited for some quality (non childish) reviews to trickle in and made a decision then, I didn't run off and pirate the app right away because I was in some way trying to justify in some strange way that I shouldn't need to pay because the app "might" suck.

    Personally, I hope Apple continues cracking down. I'd like the appstore to actually still have some developers around in a year or two developing applications. If piracy runs rampant there will be allot who will simply throw up their hands and give up on the platform since if 50% of their installations are pirated and they're only making pennies per actual legitimate sale (assuming a 99c app) it's probably not worth their time. Huge piracy numbers are more tolerable when your making $20, $40, $60 for a software package, but devs aren't going to waste their time given the appstore pricing structure if there's little to no ROI.
    Last edited by oshawapilot; 09-30-2008 at 05:37 PM.

  5. #24

  6. #25
    What's Jailbreak? PStuLovesCrackk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago (219)
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by OneRing2Rule View Post
    Have you heard about the rumor that iTunes will now (or soon will) "pick up" on cracked apps on your iPhone and then simply charge you for them the next time you sync?

    Jailbreaking, sure. Cracking? Nah. I pay for mine, both AppStore and in the wild (think Snapture)

    OneRing2Rule

    i dont know about itunes picking up cracked apps but if you have registered with itunes when they didn't require a creditcard then how are they going to charge you with the credit card they dont have? but i do have a feeling they will find a way to detect our crackkd apps but we will also find a way to bypass. good thing that the monkey's ball is still up!!
    Last edited by PStuLovesCrackk; 09-30-2008 at 06:17 PM.

  7. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    jailbreaking technically voids your warranty. It is not illegal.

    Distributing cracked copyrighted software is illegal.

    One is legal, one isn't. There really is no argument to be had about that.
    Thanks.
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

  8. #27
    iPhoneaholic equlizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    couldnt apple be sued for charging for stuff we have on our phones we didnt pay for? I know the person having the "apps" on their phone is illegal, but wouldnt it be illegal for apple to violate your privacy and "check" your iphone?

  9. #28
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Piracy of app store apps is going to be hard to stop just like regular apps. Take one site down another pops up.

    For app store my stance on cracked apps is kinda in between. If you just want to run the apps and never pay for it then it's wrong but if you are just evaluating and then will purchase I don't see a prob with that.

  10. #29
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by b3nny View Post
    yeah ssh (.app method) should keep working. but, if you're synching through itunes (.ipa method) all they probably need to do is change how the mobile installation file works right? that would at least slow everyone down. wouldn't surprise me a bit if we saw this from an itunes update and/or iphone/touch firmware update. but in any case, yeah, us jailbreakers will always have ssh. so poo on you apple (hows that more immature)

    uh. i mean, wait, what? mobile installation file? .ipa? whats that? cracked apps? who? where?
    Changing the mobile installation file would do nothing. It was changed in 2.1 and was cracked the day it was released.

  11. #30
    iPhoneaholic Nefarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts

    themobileapps was actually recently sold to a new owner and should be back online in the near future.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nefarious For This Useful Post:

    Cody Overcash (09-30-2008)

  13. #31
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,356
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    themobileapps was actually recently sold to a new owner and should be back online in the near future.
    Source?

    All I can tell you about TMA is that it has been on every server in the eastern and western hemisphere, and kicked off every one of them.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  14. #32
    Green Apple mbaharvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Why are you people even concerned about cracked apps? Just pay for what you want - it truly is akin to stealing (I will try to use words you can understand). If you want to crack apps, find another way to do it and I hope the cracked sites may have deposited a few viruses your way - much the same way it can happen of you interact with prostitutes! SORRY - all of this usage of cracked apps transfers the real reasons we jailbreak - it is for some freedom to modmyi(phone) and experience what other developers offer us through Cydia - NOT TO STEAL!!!!!!!!!!

  15. #33
    iPhone? More like MyPhone kainisable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hollywood California
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts

    oh geez, thank god torrenting lol

    i hope my monkey site doesn't go down i live by that site, i don't think apple can charge you for cracked apps,

    Quote Originally Posted by mbaharvard View Post
    Why are you people even concerned about cracked apps? Just pay for what you want - it truly is akin to stealing (I will try to use words you can understand). If you want to crack apps, find another way to do it and I hope the cracked sites may have deposited a few viruses your way - much the same way it can happen of you interact with prostitutes! SORRY - all of this usage of cracked apps transfers the real reasons we jailbreak - it is for some freedom to modmyi(phone) and experience what other developers offer us through Cydia - NOT TO STEAL!!!!!!!!!!
    Well believe what you want. there's no way in heck I'm going to pay 200+ dollars for all the apps I've downloaded. its just not worth it!, id pay for the apps if the was 99 cent each!, i would still end of paying over 100 dollars (which is unacceptable!!)
    Last edited by kainisable; 09-30-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost


    Like What i Said?, Hit The Thanks Button!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to kainisable For This Useful Post:

    NakedFaerie (10-01-2008)

  17. #34
    Green Apple mbaharvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kainisable View Post
    oh geez, thank god torrenting lol

    i hope my monkey site doesn't go down i live by that site, i don't think apple can charge you for cracked apps,



    Well believe what you want. there's no way in heck I'm going to pay 200+ dollars for all the apps I've downloaded. its just not worth it!, id pay for the apps if the was 99 cent each!, i would still end of paying over 100 dollars (which is unacceptable!!)
    You do not set the price - the developer does! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY THAT PRICE - DON'T BUY THE APP!!!!! So you are telling me you have stolen $200? This entire thread is going nowhere but into legal troubles and should be terminated. I am sure you who desire to keep stealing will find a way to do so; I am just happy MY wallet is nowhere near you! Torrent away..............

    Oh, and quote me again while you continue to steal and justify your actions - you, sir, are an idiot!
    AND I would buy Ferraris all day if they were 0.99 but I am NOT going to steal one because that is what I think the price should be - GET A CLUE!
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 09-30-2008 at 10:56 PM.

  18. #35
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Montgomery Village, MD
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mbaharvard View Post
    I would buy Ferraris all day if they were 0.99 but I am NOT going to steal one because that is what I think the price should be - GET A CLUE!
    That isn't a very good comparison because Ferraris are worth the money and are high quality, unlike many apps in the appstore where you can't try it out first before buying it.

    Personally, if I download a c-app and like it. I delete it and buy it from the appstore and then I know that I didn't just throw out $1-10 for nothing.

  19. #36
    Green Apple mbaharvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DiPSET08 View Post
    That isn't a very good comparison because Ferraris are worth the money and are high quality, unlike many apps in the appstore where you can't try it out first before buying it.

    Personally, if I download a c-app and like it. I delete it and buy it from the appstore and then I know that I didn't just throw out $1-10 for nothing.
    WHAT?!?! You STILL have to play within the system, or it is outright stealing! I have yet to hear a cohesive argument that tells me cracked apps are OK. Truthfully, there are none. If you feel the opportunity to try out apps before buying is ALL you are doing, then let Apple know about your concerns and WHEN they change the system in place, you can download to you hearts content and decide which apps you want. Until then, you are just plain and simple stealing!
    BTW, ever driven a Ferrari? They are crap to drive....So your argument is null, I prefer BMW, which I drive, and I did not steal one before I brought it back to the dealership and decided to buy it. The system in place is download the app and pay for it - until that is changed, you are stealing!
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 09-30-2008 at 11:18 PM.

  20. #37
    iPhoneaholic Nefarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Source?

    All I can tell you about TMA is that it has been on every server in the eastern and western hemisphere, and kicked off every one of them.
    TheMobileApps.com was sold for $2100

    TheMobileApps.com | 6000+ Unique Visits per Day | 24k+ Pageviews per Day

    The new owner took possession of the domain on 9/5.

    I'm a systems admin for one of the large domain registrars

  21. #38
    Green Apple mbaharvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    TheMobileApps.com was sold for $2100

    TheMobileApps.com | 6000+ Unique Visits per Day | 24k+ Pageviews per Day

    The new owner took possession of the domain on 9/5.

    I'm a systems admin for one of the large domain registrars
    Hmmmm, $2100? Not too profitable at $5 a day. Maybe, just maybe, some people are getting honest! Thank you for the information.

  22. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Montgomery Village, MD
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mbaharvard View Post
    WHAT?!?! You STILL have to play within the system, or it is outright stealing! I have yet to hear a cohesive argument that tells me cracked apps are OK. Truthfully, there are none. If you feel the opportunity to try out apps before buying is ALL you are doing, then let Apple know about your concerns and WHEN they change the system in place, you can download to you hearts content and decide which apps you want. Until then, you are just plain and simple stealing!
    BTW, ever driven a Ferrari? They are crap to drive....So your argument is null, I prefer BMW, which I drive, and I did not steal one before I brought it back to the dealership and decided to buy it. The system in place is download the app and pay for it - until that is changed, you are stealing!
    I'm not trying to saying anything against you or offend you.
    Also I don't mean to "steal", when I really don't because like I said if I like the app or find a use for it, I simple buy it and if not I don't and delete it. And I'm not trying to make it seem like c-apps are okay or anything. I just don't like throwing away money at this point in time. If they offered demos then I wouldn't even think about the other apps and would try and buy/not buy.
    And about apple changing their system, I wouldn't upgrade to the next iTunes or firmware if c-apps weren't still there. (Maybe if there's a big update)

    About the Ferrari, no I've never driven one and probably never will but I know they're expensive.

    Don't mean to offend anyone.

  23. #40
    Green Apple mbaharvard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Ferrari's are expensive and so are the ramifications of all the cracked app stealing. Just because we decide a cracked app is OK to use for a short amount of time - and I believe your intentions are good - there are many others just happy to use a cracked app and never pay. Maybe one day, Apple will change their app-store policy, but until then, we do have to play their game - AFTER ALL WE ALL HAVE IPHONES (from Apple). And thank you, no offense taken and, likewise, I hope.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to mbaharvard For This Useful Post:

    DiPSET08 (10-01-2008)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts