Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint/Verizon Getting the iPhone?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Default Sprint/Verizon Getting the iPhone?

Currently in the U.S. and across the world the iPhone is a GSM network only device. That means that even unlocked you can not run the iPhone on the Verizon network which is CDMA. This may change soon -- as early as Macworld 2009. Where does this come from? A Verizon tipster told 9to5mac that "Apple will be announcing iPhones for Verizon Wireless in 2009, perhaps as early Macworld 2009."

While there are many reasons that this rumor could be true we think these are the big ones:
    • Apple has been looking for EVDO and CDMA engineers with their job listings. You can check out these job listings here, here, here and here.
    • Apple has been working very hard lately to expand their market share to other countries. Last count the iPhone is available for purchase in over 79 countries. It only makes sense that Apple would want to expand to also cover other network protocols to put their phone on networks currently excluded like Sprint, Verizon, and other networks in places like Canada (which currently has the iPhone on lame Rogers).
    • Verizon and Vodafone are partners. Vodafone has contracts with Apple. Partners + pre existing contracts with Apple = iPhone on Verizon. It's just simple addition folks.
    • Apple originally wanted to go with Verizon for the iPhone. Verizon refused, AT&T was the second choice and the rest is history. One of the major reasons that Apple and Verizon couldn't play nice together is Apple didn't want their jesus phone distributed at Verizon retailers like Best Buy. Since then Apple has become less paranoid about distribution channels and you can pick up the iPhone at Best Buy. Maybe now Verizon and Apple could both be happy together.
    • AT&T's exclusivity contract with Apple may be ending soon. There is a lot of speculation about the ending of the deal between AT&T and Apple. Some folks say five years, some say two, others say three. We just don't know. If it is in fact 2 yrs. that would open Apple up to put the iPhone on other carriers sometime during 2009.

Odds are looking good for Apple's expansion on to other carriers like Verizon or Sprint with the iPhone. While many are happy with AT&T service many are not. If other carriers previously unable to support the iPhone start selling it we get more options on what carrier we use. In the end more carrier options + iPhone = consumer win.

[via 9to5mac]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

WillyDavidK (09-29-2008)

So awesome if this would happen, when i worked for verizon and heard that they passed on it i was sad, especially since verizon has much better reception where i live. CMON VERIZON!

wow second post and so much for "only at&t" lol =/

iPhone? More like MyPhone jfmsam's Avatar
    Thanks

Another factor to consider why releasing a CDMA phone is plausible is that Apple may release an iPhone in a different form factor (maybe the new Nano could mark a trend in new design forms), that may not entirely overstep on their current relationship with AT&T or any other exclusive carrier.

There have been rumors that Patent filings have been spotted for clamshell and other fancy form factors for future iterations of Apple's mobile device.

If Apple really wants to be a player in the mobile device arena, they will even have to entertain releasing a device with a physical keyboard...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay good job cash 3 articles! Anyways verizon iPhone, no me gusta.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is interesting. So what happened to the exclusivity contract with ATT (something about 5 years right?) Either way this is a WIN WIN situation as I think ATT will have some price competition finally. No more iphone monopoly! (I am sure this is also a ploy to battle android which will most certainly end up on all carriers)

EDIT: When I say WIN WIN I mean for me
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

I think it would be great too, AT&T would have more competition. I could actually threatened AT&T to lower my bill or I would go to verizon LOL , eventhough I don't know if I would actually get an iPhone on verizon. They probably cripple the OS and disable GPS and other features unless you pay for them. I wouldn't get it on sprint because I dealt with sprint they are the worst. The only good thing sprint has going for them is the fact they roam with verizon. I'm happy with my 3G on AT&T I get 20% off my monthly bill so I can't complain.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mawells787 View Post
    I think it would be great too, AT&T would have more competition. I could actually threatened AT&T to lower my bill or I would go to verizon LOL , eventhough I don't know if I would actually get an iPhone on verizon. They probably cripple the OS and disable GPS and other features unless you pay for them. I wouldn't get it on sprint because I dealt with sprint they are the worst. The only good thing sprint has going for them is the fact they roam with verizon. I'm happy with my 3G on AT&T I get 20% off my monthly bill so I can't complain.

Sent from my iPhone
    Hopefully the crippling thing would be stopped by Apple. I hate Apple for being so strict with things, but this is one time it would actually be a positive thing LOL. I am thinking they would say "no deal" if VZW wanted to cripple their apps, but you never know. Those VZW vastards cripple the hell out of blackberry and other pda phones
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Apple is taking over the cellphone game

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by helloimalive View Post
    Apple is taking over the cellphone game
    Sorta. I think Google has one up on Apple in that they produce an OS and not hardware. This can be a double edged sword however, since bad hardware will send bad connotation to the android software. The battle royale has begun and it should be fun watching (not so fun if iphone doesn;t stay on top since we all want the newest and the best, LOL)

I tell you what....I HATE SPRINT! The only problem is that I had the best coverage all over the US, better than any other service I've had. The customer service licks b**** ! ATT is the worst coverage I have had. I would love to have an iPhone on sprint just because the coverage is massive and when the technology finally merges with nextel it will be even better. Don't tease me now:0
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

hmm... could be interesting. and while i have been on AT&T since the first gen iphone came out... i would definitely think of switching to verizon or back to sprint. i had a SWEET service plan with sprint, hardly paying anything at all... but canceled it because i wanted the iphone.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Verizon is also going to be rolling out their 4G network next year (and it is going to be GSM as a matter of fact) Could this be a hint at a 4G iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post
    I tell you what....I HATE SPRINT! The only problem is that I had the best coverage all over the US, better than any other service I've had. The customer service licks b**** ! ATT is the worst coverage I have had. I would love to have an iPhone on sprint just because the coverage is massive and when the technology finally merges with nextel it will be even better. Don't tease me now:0
    you realize the only reason that you had such great coverage on sprint is because they roam on verizon. Because if you look at native coverage maps sprint has the smallest but through roaming agreements they get coverage everywhere. ad far as att being the worst i guess thats your personal experience. but i have yet to find a place where sprint works and att doesn't. because my cousin has sprint and we go into buildings and subways (NYC) and i always have coverage and her with sprint with roaming on can't pick up service in many places.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Verizon is also going to be rolling out their 4G network next year (and it is going to be GSM as a matter of fact) Could this be a hint at a 4G iphone?
    that is possible, but i don't think LTE will be ready until at least the end of next year even though i know verizon has being doing testing, but LTE is barely in its infancy so a LTE compatible phone is even further away. att is planing on releasing HSPA realese 7 which will boost 3G speeds up to 20mbts even though the iphone can only handle 7mbts.

one reason im not so sure about verizon with iphone is since the blackberry storm is exclusive to verizon i don't think blackberry wants to deal with the iphone competition. so either verizon will have to give up exclusivity of the blackberry storm or not take on the iphone.
    Last edited by mawells787; 09-29-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

this is big. bad new for at&t

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tudtran For This Useful Post:

oliverhart77 (09-29-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Thanks

Wouldnt any contract AT&T and apple had together been renewed when they changed the rules with the 3G? Anyway this is probably false since AT&T has an exclusive contract until at least 2010 (as reported in the New York Times, and pretty much everywhere else)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfleigle View Post
    Wouldnt any contract AT&T and apple had together been renewed when they changed the rules with the 3G? Anyway this is probably false since AT&T has an exclusive contract until at least 2010 (as reported in the New York Times, and pretty much everywhere else)
    LOL all it takes is money and a handshake. If it's in Apple's best interest to branch out they may have paid ATT a lump sum to shred that contract.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

virozon will proberly make there own theme for the ifone and without a doubt it will be red and damn ugly
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    virozon will proberly make there own theme for the ifone and without a doubt it will be red and damn ugly
    I doubt Apple will give them the OK for this... but you never know. (not like the Apple stock theme is any marvel IMO)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just don't like the idea of verizon having the iPhone. I've always made fun of how verizon never had any good phones, at least compared to the iPhone. Most of my friends have verizon and I like having that type of leverage over the lol. Plus, I don't like the idea of one time use with verizon. For example, if you buy a phone from verizon it's branded with their OS and when your contract ends and your phone is resonably in good condintion you can't just unlock it and pop a sim in their it's branded to verizon and verizon always wants you to get a new phone for a new contract.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast