+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint/Verizon Getting the iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Cherrysoda_zx I just don't like the idea of verizon having the iPhone. I've always made fun of how verizon never had any good phones, at least compared
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoda_zx View Post
    I just don't like the idea of verizon having the iPhone. I've always made fun of how verizon never had any good phones, at least compared to the iPhone. Most of my friends have verizon and I like having that type of leverage over the lol. Plus, I don't like the idea of one time use with verizon. For example, if you buy a phone from verizon it's branded with their OS and when your contract ends and your phone is resonably in good condintion you can't just unlock it and pop a sim in their it's branded to verizon and verizon always wants you to get a new phone for a new contract.
    That's true but how often are you popping a sim from a phone that came from another network to your network. It just doesn;t happen much. I am sure VZW will subsidize the hell out of the phone (maybe more than ATT has done) By the time the ontract is up on the one phone you will probably not want to use the thing because there will be something better anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    That's true but how often are you popping a sim from a phone that came from another network to your network. It just doesn;t happen much. I am sure VZW will subsidize the hell out of the phone (maybe more than ATT has done) By the time the ontract is up on the one phone you will probably not want to use the thing because there will be something better anyway.
    this is a very good point. by the time the 2 yr contract is up there will prob be the iphone hologram where all you do is carry around a little button and when you press it boom a hologram iphone right there!

(in school and really bored)

Green Apple
    Thanks

if they could get it on Verizon's stronger network without verizon branding and crippling it like they do with all their phones this would be great

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i left verizon to get the iphone. The iphone will truly suck on verizons network. They charge an arm and a leg for any good features. Verizon always blocks good features

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Im just afraid with this the iPhone will go the way of the Razr
    iLive an iLife

Green Apple
    Thanks

can you imagine, an iPhone without a sim tray slot on the top? Yuck. That's like a human without a belly button man. I just can't dig it.

Thanks

Verizon might have the best coverage bu their hand sets and service is expensive...
    I like Tmobile...poor coverage, very good customer service and good phone...

But the new android looks very ugly....very ugly.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post
    I tell you what....I HATE SPRINT! The only problem is that I had the best coverage all over the US, better than any other service I've had. The customer service licks b**** ! ATT is the worst coverage I have had. I would love to have an iPhone on sprint just because the coverage is massive and when the technology finally merges with nextel it will be even better. Don't tease me now:0
    Sprint, of all carriers, has had more time to roll a their network as they were one of the first in the onslaught of cellphones. Yet their network is one of the worst nationwide. The only thing they have done recently that made any sense was acquiring Nextel's push to talk customers as most of them are businesses. Nextel's network is terrible too. If you do not get a Nextel signal you cannot make a call.

The only thing Sprint could lure me in with is there $99 for everything plan, but like I said before...their network is not good considering I travel a lot.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Sprint, of all carriers, has had more time to roll a their network as they were one of the first in the onslaught of cellphones. Yet their network is one of the worst nationwide. The only thing they have done recently that made any sense was acquiring Nextel's push to talk customers as most of them are businesses. Nextel's network is terrible too. If you do not get a Nextel signal you cannot make a call.

The only thing Sprint could lure me in with is there $99 for everything plan, but like I said before...their network is not good considering I travel a lot.
    even with the $99 everything plan i wouldn't go to sprint because god forbid you have a question or concern and have to call their customer service, there the worst a bunch of unprofessional pieces of crap.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When that day comes, i will no longer want iphone...i hate verizon "sir sub-charges" they steal as much as ATT..so I better get used to modmygphone hehe...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfleigle View Post
    Wouldnt any contract AT&T and apple had together been renewed when they changed the rules with the 3G? Anyway this is probably false since AT&T has an exclusive contract until at least 2010 (as reported in the New York Times, and pretty much everywhere else)
    Well that's an easy fix. Apple will have to change the hardware to an extent anyways because of the different signal type. All they have to do is change the case and call the phone something slightly different. Voila! It's a new piece of hardware and therefore doesn't fall under the 'exclusive' iPhone contract. That is, unless the contract somehow states any device capable of making phone calls, that is manufactured by Apple - which sounds like something ATT would do

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

VCast on the iPhone? I'm an At&t guy but this I might like!
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

iPhone? More like MyPhone HarlemState's Avatar
    Thanks

thing is wit att you can acually catch a signal in the middle of the desert, not wit verizon sprint or tmoble... they mite be ok carriers but they dont have a wider signal span then att..... and plus the 3g on att is faster then any other 3g carrier.....if you have a verizon iphone and load a web site using 3g or whetevr verizon uses for a 3g signal, it wouldnt be faster then an att iphone on 3g :-D i bet you

iPhone? More like MyPhone dillonsmith9147's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HarlemState View Post
    thing is wit att you can acually catch a signal in the middle of the desert, not wit verizon sprint or tmoble... they mite be ok carriers but they dont have a wider signal span then att..... and plus the 3g on att is faster then any other 3g carrier.....if you have a verizon iphone and load a web site using 3g or whetevr verizon uses for a 3g signal, it wouldnt be faster then an att iphone on 3g :-D i bet you
    last time i checked vzw had the fastest speeds but i could be wrong but this sucks Ive had ATT for 4-5 years, they still have not fixed the service within 7 miles of my house. however vzw i can get signal easy here. so in my situation this sucks cuz its lose lose, stay with att dont make, any calls at the house, go with vzw, pay for voiding my contract plus have to pay for a new phone and have to pay the bill, ugh stupid contracts im getting a sattelite phone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmith9147 View Post
    last time i checked vzw had the fastest speeds but i could be wrong but this sucks Ive had ATT for 4-5 years, they still have not fixed the service within 7 miles of my house. however vzw i can get signal easy here. so in my situation this sucks cuz its lose lose, stay with att dont make, any calls at the house, go with vzw, pay for voiding my contract plus have to pay for a new phone and have to pay the bill, ugh stupid contracts im getting a sattelite phone
    at&t actually does have the fastest network see link
    CW: AT&T's 3G Network Leaves Verizon, Sprint in the Dust || The iPod Observer - Now Playing

also aside from being faster at&t has the only 3G network that allows you to use the internet and be on a phone call at the same time. which comes in handy a lot when im talking to someone and watching live updates of a baseball game. if at&t doesn't have coverage where you are i think you can technically terminate your contract without an ETF. call them an complain and tell them you contacted the BBB or something.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thank god Verizon passed the first time. Id just now be getting a really good phone to use with TMobile. Im so happy with TMobile, they have been outstanding, and even used to bend the rules when I bought the latest and greatest blackberry every 9 months. Normally you'd have to wait at least 11-13 months before you got a discount on newer phones within your contract time, but not them. Now I qualify for more discounts, because ive been on my iPhone for so long, I hadnt purchased a phone in a while with them. Rarely does the customer win in the Cell Phone game, but thanks to the iPhone this one has

Uggh just unlock it already and let any carrier who adapts use it. You dont have to retail it in cell companies' stores, a simple Apple Kiosk and service center will do, where a full blown store would cost too much money per average sales in a smaller demographic. Talk about units sold.......

by the way: I know what Im saying is a little childish and wishful thinking, but why not?

Great article though thanks!!!
    Last edited by Muggz5; 09-29-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This can be a double edged sword however, since bad hardware will send bad connotation to the android software.
    Reminds me of one of Apple's many arguments against PCs/for Macs: Macs just work because the same people that design the software design the hardware, unlike PCs; Microsoft makes the software, Dell/Gateway/eMachines/Compaq/whatever make the hardware, so what can loosely be called "compatibility" is faulty at best.

I'm seeing the ads right now...

"Hi, I'm an iPhone."
    "And I'm an Android."

Thanks

I still doubt Verizon will get iPhones. When I got my LG Voyager, the guy at Verizon said that Apple is too controlling to work with. Notice how you have to go to the Apple store to get the iPhone? And how you have to bring you iPhone to Apple for technical support? Verizon was offered to carry the iPhone, but Apple was too controlling, so they turned it down.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone know if the 3G iphone is compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network? I've read elsewhere that it isn't, but I haven't tested it personally.

Green Apple
    Thanks

that's what happens when apple does not get kick backs from att.