Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone 3G released secretly in Hong Kong!

now are these phones hardware unlocked or software? Can we post an Italian or whatever country .ipsw and have someone compare? Maybe the baseband is different (most likely)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    now are these phones hardware unlocked or software? Can we post an Italian or whatever country .ipsw and have someone compare? Maybe the baseband is different (most likely)
    It's probably the way it's activated, it probably has nothing to do with the firmware, seeing as every 2.1fw will be the same for all iPhone 3G's.
    Apple aren't that stupid.
    Might be based on serial number or imei so iTunes recognisess which iPhone needs to be unlocled.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The truth is that in some countries the law prohibits a company to lock its products. I don't know if this is the case in Hong Kong but IT IS true for Greece where I bought mine. Apple Greece is selling fully UNLOCKED stand alone 16G phones for 560 Euros and if u want a new contract with vodafone the price then is reduced significantly.
    I currently have a fully unlocked QuickPwned 3G iphone running 2.1.

But ok, if it's based on imei or serial, I'm sure the software reads that and activates it , so I know there's a way to change imei, don't know about serial, but u assume it can be done , even if it's the way iTunes does it , so, maybe compairing iTunes versions from different places... Just throwing ideas around ((god lolcopter is the dumbest thing I've heard)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    It's probably the way it's activated, it probably has nothing to do with the firmware, seeing as every 2.1fw will be the same for all iPhone 3G's.
    Apple aren't that stupid.
    Might be based on serial number or imei so iTunes recognisess which iPhone needs to be unlocled.
    This may be true, as I have upgraded each time within iTunes in the US. And the firmware seems to be from the Apple US site.
    Also, on the last link I posted there are different model numbers across the world.
    Too bad we don't know how it's done, someone could figure out how to spoof the data required to let the firmware/iPhone be unlocked, like a proxy between the iPhone and iTunes or something.
    -D

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    there that much from an official carrier in Australia and there locked
    so yes it is worth it.

can some one ban this guy that is incredibly racist
    Well, I may not have used his choice of words but he is absolutley correct about the Chinese manipulating their currency.

This has allowed them to flood us with cheap imports, killing off our manufacturing. In doing so, they have amassed a huge pile of Western currency. The scary thing is what will happen next.
    They will start buying up our cheapened assets for fun with this currency stockpile.

What I cannot understand is why US, UK and European countries have allowed such a huge trading partner to manipulate their currency in this way. (Maybe I do, it allowed these governments to take the credit for the low inflation resulting from the cheap imports).

Add that to a shocking attitude to the environment, product safety and counterfieting and it just beggars belief.

You may call that racist - I call it simple fact.

3G iphone unlocked at around 5000HKD is not so bad (for leagl iphone). i bought my 2G (illegal iphone) in HK for 5000HKD.

as for the 1 USD to 7.8 HKD, that is a fixed rate made when HK was a British colony. So blame the UK, not china.

China uses RMB. the current rate is 1 USD to 6.85 RMB. Last year the rate was 1 USD to 8.3 RMB. China is not controlling the currency as much as before.

Can I Jailbreak The iphone Hong Kong
    Last edited by pim-plex; 09-26-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by sayam View Post

According to a report at MacNN, Apple Stores in Hong Kong are now selling the unlocked iPhone 3G in Hong Kong.

Though there were no prior announcements (unlike apple) but the 8GB model is announced for 5,400 HKD and 16GB model is announced for 6,200 HKD

The Hong Kong online store mentions:

This is weird as they mention any carrier but Apple has fixed carriers in every country! So, this makes us believe that this one is definitely unlocked.

Maybe this is a surprise which Apple planned for Hong Kong citizens or just a mischievous act done by an employee. So, let's just wait for the official announcement.
    Is Good To Jailbreak the iphone Hong Kong

My friend has an unlocked 3g, apparently he got it for 180 or something. Seems fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    This is already offered in some EU contries. The price is 900 EU for unlocked iPhone. Way tooo expensive...
    No its not.
    Here in Greece you can buy the iphone 3G with 499 euros for the 8g and 569 for the 16g.

Check it out HERE
    Its expensive but not that much as 900 euros

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    Well, I may not have used his choice of words but he is absolutley correct about the Chinese manipulating their currency.

This has allowed them to flood us with cheap imports, killing off our manufacturing. In doing so, they have amassed a huge pile of Western currency. The scary thing is what will happen next.
    They will start buying up our cheapened assets for fun with this currency stockpile.

What I cannot understand is why US, UK and European countries have allowed such a huge trading partner to manipulate their currency in this way. (Maybe I do, it allowed these governments to take the credit for the low inflation resulting from the cheap imports).

Add that to a shocking attitude to the environment, product safety and counterfieting and it just beggars belief.

You may call that racist - I call it simple fact.
    america has let it happen dont blame the government .. check yourself and see how many items are made in the china in your house .. your the one who bought the products so dont complain

oh yea... im from HK.. haha

Iphone 3g is also available in pakistan unlocked one

Apple - Mobiles Pakistan

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    No its not.
    Here in Greece you can buy the iphone 3G with 499 euros for the 8g and 569 for the 16g.

Check it out HERE
    Its expensive but not that much as 900 euros
    Same here in Belgium. Since day one they sell unlocked at €525/8Gb and €625/16Gb. In my opinion far too much money for a cheap iPhone.

link

Quote Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
    Based on the currency exchange, the price seems right for an unlocked iPhone.

8GB iPhone 3G: HK$ 5400 = approx US$ 700
    16GB iPhone 3G: HK$ 6200 = approx US$ 800

US$ 1 = HK$ 7.77
    thus meaning there basically buying you are getting the off contract prices, those mofo's
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

Default Selling of 3G unlocked
    Hi guys.

I just want to say, that friend of mine bought in 3G iPhone without contract in the Orange store here in Bratislava, Slovakia and I can confirm, that phone is completely unlocked, because I've inserted into his phone my T-Mobile SIM, and everything worked perfectly.

Well, I've just replied, because somebody mentioned, that the phones are locked on the operator anyway.

Marcel

I have an unlocked iPhone 3G that I purchased from Italy as well. It is definitely unlocked, and you can jailbreak with QuickPwn. You don't need to use the other tools (like Pwnage Tool or WinPwn) since you can allow the baseband to be upgraded. Pwnage Tool and WinPwn are only required if you have a phone that is not unlocked because you can choose not to upgrade the baseband on these apps. My iPhone came with firmware 2.0.2; I restored with firmware 2.1 and pwned with QuickPwn without any issues. Now I just need to sell my other iPhone 3G to make up for much of the price that I paid for the unlocked phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_SE View Post
    As others have stated, I also have an iPhone from Itay which has worked out the box with both T-Mobile UK and Vodafone UK simcards. No issues upgrading software on it (only making sure I can jailbreak afterwards!)

It is worth a $700 price tag when people were and are paying around 1k for unlocked phones from australia and other countries that have these unlocked phones.

personally I just think that 1st gen iphone that is jailbroken/unlocked is a much better choice even though it may not be the latest and greatest

What would be awsome is if this is apples way of locking in their market share in response to Googles phone comming out soon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast