+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Installer 4.0b8!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by phi6 Actually DO NOT do this as it will make some of your apps disappear (they are technically still there but they will need a resync). Follow
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phi6 View Post
    Actually DO NOT do this as it will make some of your apps disappear (they are technically still there but they will need a resync).

Follow these detailed instructions. They will work, and you will retain all your apps.

If you don't have SSH already installed, then theres no hope for you I'm afraid, though iPhoneBrowser may work, I've not tried this.

iPhone ALoD: MAJOR design flaw!! - Mac Forums
    yeah makes em disappear but all it takes is time. a reboot or 2 and like 5 min waiting everything comes back..phone back to normal. im an idiot though..i just did it again. this new version needs some work. i will wait for a new release

Green Apple
    Thanks

AppStore app install works, just installed a free game.
    Cydia app install works, installed GRis.
    I don't even want to touch Installer now.
    Jimmie Geddes, Editor

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Okay, I've been rebooting after each new app install. Appstore and Cydia works, mobilewatchdog seems to be behaving well for each of these.
    Have not tried Installer, and probably won't bother as it'll likely break it again and theres nothing I really want on Installer anyway!

Hopefully it'll be fixed promptly as its a pretty big issue. I do like Installer's UI design compared to Cydia, theres nothing wrong with being "too professional" imo. Perhaps we will see much more Installer apps soon now that they are taking on the extra work!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 05VIII View Post
    just download the iphone kit which has iphonebrowser..hook it up..wait for it to load..then go private..var..mobile..Applications and change Applications to Application2...wait a few seconds and it should start..then change Application2 back to Applications and reboot..just did that like 5 min ago......after i used the new installer
    sweet!!!! thank you sooooo much!!!! ive restored my phone bout 10 times cuz thay crap. you rock!!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Anyway to re-install Installer, after deleting it?

Thanks

Saurik, (Jay Freeman) saved me on my update with Installer - it booted me into safe mode and allowed me to get back in! Oh, why do I even bother when I haven't used Installer on 2.0.x after I uninstalled Kate? I PAID for that app and it was good on 1.1.4 BUT it is only trouble on 2.0.x. THANK YOU Saurik - and PLEASE, delete your modified hosts file and replace it with the original! (Some of you know what I'm talking about!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinner23 View Post
    Anyway to re-install Installer, after deleting it?
    Why would you want to?
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 09-25-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    I opened up installer to get the update, updated it and the community sources. Then Exited installer. That was followed by a 5 minute spinning wheel, followed by a failed restart.

Apple screen of death

Thank god I can SSH in and get it started again.

Thats the last straw for me and Installer
    Ditto! Unfortunately out of my insane curiosity I opened up installer (which has not been opened since I pwned my 2.1 firmware) and updated the community sources and BAM.....the spinning wheel of death that I had not seen since upgrading to 2.1. Funny though, as I was doing all this I was also reading your post, lol, now I am getting ready to SSH into my phone and fix it!

Unlike the rumors of Steve Jobs death that were greatly exaggerated, the rumors of Installers death can not come quick enough.
    Last edited by dr33Rocks; 09-25-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Whoa I updated (on my itouch) and when i came out it gave me this. Yes i've went in and refreshed sources and restarted my itouch

This is an itouch btw

If you don't know what it is, its the installer red balloon

somehow mine went away
    the only thing i did was sync my ipod
    Last edited by FrostyBrett; 09-25-2008 at 09:58 PM.
    I'm not perfect, always correct me when I'm wrong

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

I got the same thing on my Iphone..
    How do you clear that thing
    I restarted my phone and uninstalled all my sources thinking that would do the trick

Thanks

Same here - I'm going to SSh in now and just forget about Installer! (Could this be Jay taking over the iPhone jailbreak world by brute force?) When I have better info about Installer, I may give it another try - in the meantime - Thanks, saurik (Jay), for all of your hard work and for your persistence in delivering a BETTER jailbreak option!

99 red balloons can just go by What was that about anyway, "0" balloon on the icon? Oh yeah, I have to check Installer, because there are "0" updates! It does have a way to go before viability with 2.0.x or 2.1 firmware.

Look MA, No Installer!
    Look. MA, No Installer!
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 09-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phi6 View Post
    Actually DO NOT do this as it will make some of your apps disappear (they are technically still there but they will need a resync).

Follow these detailed instructions. They will work, and you will retain all your apps.

If you don't have SSH already installed, then theres no hope for you I'm afraid, though iPhoneBrowser may work, I've not tried this.

iPhone ALoD: MAJOR design flaw!! - Mac Forums
    woe is me to find out the hard way!

thanks this will save me days of time and lost data!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Im glad im not the only one who had this problem. I didnt know about the about the SSHing to remove the watchdog, I use the renaming applications method. Since getting my phone back to normal, I have used BossPrefs to hide the installer icon, since I dont know exactly how to delete it completely. At least this way I wont accidentally touch it. with the next firmware update and the next Pwnage tool, Ill be making my firmware without installer. Since upgrading to 2.1 this was the 1st time I have had any problem with the phone.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

Green Apple
    Thanks

Whoa. i got so scared updating my installer after I heard all this. The loading screen took like 3 and a half minutes to finish and I was about to ssh. >.> Dodged that bullet.

Thanks

Man Cydia is 100% better then installer is true installer look more better than cydia but when you download from cydia and installer you now the different.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I was looking forward to rejailbreaking my iPhone because of Installer but after reading the post, hmmm maybe not now.

Btw, after installing/uninstalling something from Cydia can you get back to the homescreen straightaway instead of waiting ages, just browsing Cydia??

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    I was looking forward to rejailbreaking my iPhone because of Installer but after reading the post, hmmm maybe not now.

Btw, after installing/uninstalling something from Cydia can you get back to the homescreen straightaway instead of waiting ages, just browsing Cydia??
    Yep, Cydia is pretty much flawless
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post

Originally Posted by A.T
    Apple really are killing the iPhone slowly, but jailbreaking revives it again.

Just distribute all the apps that get rejected through Installer.

Soz Cydia, but your not good enough yet, gives me ALOD 95% off the time.

Um-mm, you are on 2.0.2? AND you use Installer? I feel sorry for you. Cydia works much better - last time I checked Installer, it was still stagnant. Cydia continues to evolve and offer new apps everyday! Are you on a different planet? Cydia has FAR surpassed Installer for 2.0+ iPhone software.

Funny, A.T, I tried to tell you that yesterday! And I'm just a green apple and you are a "more like myphone" poster! Well. I guess you'll just have to get up to speed here. Have fun with Installer as it is now, and let's hope they improve it. In the meantime, saurik has Cydia working quite well. If you are a "more like myphone" poster why haven't you already jail-broken and figured this out yourself? And what does SOZ mean? As in "Soz Cydia" in your previous post... Oh, wait. Soz may refer to:
    Soaz, a genre of poetry in Persian and Urdu
    Sozh, or Sož River, in Belarus
    Saifuddin Soz, cabinet minister in India
    or this:
    Nonsensical internet slang term for "sorry", used by illiterate morons who for some reason substitute a “z” for “rry”, the latter of which would take an entire quarter of a second to type out.
    "OMG, soz about that."
    Or maybe you meant this: Sod - This word has many uses. My father always used to say "Oh Sod!" or "Sod it!" if something went wrong and he didn't want to swear too badly in front of the children. If someone is a sod or an "old sod" then it means they are a bit of a bastard or an old git. "Sod off" is like saying "piss off" or "get lost" & "sod you" means something like "f*** off". It also means a chunk of lawn of course. You can usually tell the difference!
    OK I'm DONE!
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 09-26-2008 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    I opened up installer to get the update, updated it and the community sources. Then Exited installer. That was followed by a 5 minute spinning wheel, followed by a failed restart.

Apple screen of death

Thank god I can SSH in and get it started again.

Thats the last straw for me and Installer
    Same for me today, i take a more radical option, put in DFU restore and rePawn again, 2 times in 4 days thanks to Installer, but....
    this time only cydia no installer any more, this sound like a payback or a sort of revenge from the installer team

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbaharvard View Post
    Originally Posted by A.T
    Apple really are killing the iPhone slowly, but jailbreaking revives it again.

Just distribute all the apps that get rejected through Installer.

Soz Cydia, but your not good enough yet, gives me ALOD 95% off the time.

Um-mm, you are on 2.0.2? AND you use Installer? I feel sorry for you. Cydia works much better - last time I checked Installer, it was still stagnant. Cydia continues to evolve and offer new apps everyday! Are you on a different planet? Cydia has FAR surpassed Installer for 2.0+ iPhone software.

Funny, A.T, I tried to tell you that yesterday! And I'm just a green apple and you are a "more like myphone" poster! Well. I guess you'll just have to get up to speed here. Have fum with Installer as it is now, and let's hope they improve it. In the meantime, saurik has Cydia working quite well. If you are a "more like myphone" poster why haven't you already jail-broken and figured this out yourself? And what does SOZ mean? As in "Soz Cydia" in your previous post... Oh, wait. Soz may refer to:
    Soaz, a genre of poetry in Persian and Urdu
    Sozh, or Sož River, in Belarus
    Saifuddin Soz, cabinet minister in India
    or this:
    Nonsensical internet slang term for "sorry", used by illiterate morons who for some reason substitute a “z” for “rry”, the latter of which would take an entire quarter of a second to type out.
    "OMG, soz about that."
    Or maybe you meant this: Sod - This word has many uses. My father always used to say "Oh Sod!" or "Sod it!" if something went wrong and he didn't want to swear too badly in front of the children. If someone is a sod or an "old sod" then it means they are a bit of a bastard or an old git. "Sod off" is like saying "piss off" or "get lost" & "sod you" means something like "f*** off". It also means a chunk of lawn of course. You can usually tell the difference!
    OK I'm DONE!
    My iPhone used to be jailbroken from the 1.1.2 days, only until 2.0.2, I gave up jailbreaking as I got the ALOD 27 times in one week and it was a pain in the ***** restoring from backup. Last time I had Cydia it used to take me over half an hour to get back to the homescreen because the "home" button would never respond until the spinning circle in the bar ar top stopped.

I just want to know are the times any quicker on 2.1 before I restore my iPhone and then quickpwn it??
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 09-26-2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

yes it is faster than your previous experience. Thanks for understanding my attempt at humor (at least I hope you saw my post as such). The iPhone 2.1 firmware runs quite well with Cydia. I do still wait for the install of new apps to finish - only a few seconds usually, before I begin another task with Cydia, although it is becoming less necessary to do so.