+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did Apple clear out all the security flaws with 2.1? Nope, they didn't...

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Is this REALLY an issue? The first thing I (or anyone else I know) do when my phone get lost or stolen is to call AT&T and freeze my account.
    Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this REALLY an issue? The first thing I (or anyone else I know) do when my phone get lost or stolen is to call AT&T and freeze my account. What I certainly don't do is sit around going "oh damn my phone got stolen, I sure hope they don't make expensive calls with it!"

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Is this REALLY an issue? The first thing I (or anyone else I know) do when my phone get lost or stolen is to call AT&T and freeze my account. What I certainly don't do is sit around going "oh damn my phone got stolen, I sure hope they don't make expensive calls with it!"
    That would be the first I do!
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Two large assumptions are made here:
    1) Someone is going to go around with a large code memorized finding random iphones and calling all kinds of people (without the intent of stealing/keeping the iphone mind you!)
    --- Most likely, the phone will get stolen and you are out of a phone. If you report the phone stolen I am sure ATT will be kind enough to cancel the bill for you. In fact as soon as you report it stolen they will take any calls made up to 72 hours prior to it being reported and nullify it (I asked). I don't suggest calling taiwan multiple times and abusing this though, they will probably catch on.

2) The culprit won't just do a restore if they don't know how to get through the security.
    --- Give me a break. If I got a hold of someone's phone with the intent of making calls and stealing the phone I would just do a quick restore. Once the sim is shut down, sell it on eBay for a quick buck.

Bottom line: yeah, you are absolutely right. Shame on Apple for making it this easy. If you want my opinion, here it is. They pride themselves for having no viruses and lots of safety right? The only reason this is is because nobody gives a s*@#. People that want to hack generally put their efforts into PC. Why? They can do more damage. PCs in the workforce outnumber Macs probably 100 to 1. Apple doesn't have the experience necessary nor do they (I assume) put the money/time into anti-hacking as Windows and other PC OS's might. And for good measure, it's just not worth their time. That being said, this is still a huge flaw, though if it is patched it still doesn;t REALLY safeguard anyone from the guy looking to save a few bucks by making calls on someone else's phone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

enjoi4586 (09-23-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone agentfubu's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think this is a bug... How would apple know every local emergency number in every area? For instance on the highway there's a crass report line and what if you wanted to call that instead of 911?

Thanks

Just because they don't have a large amount of viruses for the mac does not in any way mean that there are no viruses for mac what-so-ever. Trojans, viruses, vulnerabilities, buffer overflows and worms effect all operating systems. sziklassy hit the nail right on the head when he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    "People that want to hack generally put their efforts into PC. Why? They can do more damage. PCs in the workforce outnumber Macs probably 10,000 to 1."
    I edited his post ever so slightly

PC's run the world, simply put. When you want to do damage, you target biggest group, which is always Microsoft.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

*sigh*

Again with these "super huge crazy dangerous security flaws" that aren't really security flaws?

Gimme a break.

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
    *sigh*

Again with these "super huge crazy dangerous security flaws" that aren't really security flaws?

Gimme a break.

Matt
    Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8L2127) crashdump Privilege Escalation Exploit

Humm, your right, that doesn't sound like a really dangerous exploit at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Well then approve news faster . Yeah I noticed this a while ago but what if your friend died and you didn't have a phone on you? Well first, using their phone, you would call 911, but what
    about reaching their family? You can't! Maybe too much, but hey just a thought.

Oh yeah and so far I've seen 1 Trojan for a mac ever and it was fixed by Apple in 3 days of the finding of the Trojan. Does Microsoft do that? I'm not trying to fight saying Mac is better than PC, but I'm saying Apple does spend time on security issues for their problems. My PC has gotten 3 viruses. Their was no fix by Microsoft for any of them. I has to pay my own money for a virus protection product.
    Last edited by Sparblaze; 09-24-2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default emergency numbers
    Quote Originally Posted by agentfubu View Post
    How would apple know every local emergency number in every area? For instance on the highway there's a crass report line and what if you wanted to call that instead of 911?

the emergency numbers can be called even without a SIM card inserted in... so it's definitely not any number you can think of (definitely not highway report line) ... there are only several (1-5) emergency numbers in each country (like 911 in US or 112 in Europe)

and they can be managed by Apple very easily ... using the carrier.bundle (they use it already to update the carrier settings (service numbers, APN, ...), they will just include the definition of the emergency numbers into that ...
    and update will automatically load into the iphone when you connect to iTunes, as it is currently working with network settings

Green Apple
    Thanks

this isn't serious AT ALL.
    if your phone gets stolen, then the thief has your sim card. he can pop it in any phone and start using it if he wishes. just because yours is passcode locked doesn't mean anything. if you realize you don't have your phone your first instinct should be to call your carrier and deactivate your sim card. plain and simple.

i don't think this is a big issue, and i would use this exploit if i actually passcode protected my phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparblaze View Post
    Well then approve news faster . Yeah I noticed this a while ago but what if your friend died and you didn't have a phone on you? Well first, using their phone, you would call 911, but what
    about reaching their family
    ? You can't! Maybe too much, but hey just a thought.

Oh yeah and so far I've seen 1 Trojan for a mac ever and of was fixed by Apple in 3 days of the finding of the Trojan. Does Microsoft do that? I'm not trying to fight saying Mac is better than PC, but I'm saying Apple does spend time on security issues for their problems. My has gotten 3 viruses. Their was no fix by Microsoft for any of them. I has to pay my own money for a virus protection product.
    because everyone knows their friend's family's phone numbers by heart. LOL.
    Last edited by corizzle; 09-24-2008 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whisky96 View Post
    the emergency numbers can be called even without a SIM card inserted in... so it's definitely not any number you can think of (definitely not highway report line) ... there are only several (1-5) emergency numbers in each country (like 911 in US or 112 in Europe)

and they can be managed by Apple very easily ... using the carrier.bundle (they use it already to update the carrier settings (service numbers, APN, ...), they will just include the definition of the emergency numbers into that ...
    and update will automatically load into the iphone when you connect to iTunes, as it is currently working with network settings
    Well I know at least 1 of my friends numbers by heart because my family is close with theirs. Like you said 911 isn't an emergency number in England. I used to live in England, but now I live in America. I guess they could preprogram emergency numbers around the world...
    Last edited by Sparblaze; 09-24-2008 at 06:31 AM.

What's Jailbreak? socialchameleon's Avatar
    Thanks

that 0161 number is a Manchester number. I wonder where its for......

Thanks

Default another possible new bug
    I was updating my iphone with a payandgo SIM card in and when the screen was saying slide to activate I recieved a text giving me my account balance and the full springboard appeared unfortuately my attention was elsewhere at the time and when I clicked to cancel the message the springboard dissapeared and went back to slide to activate

I'm not sure if this is a bug that can be exploited or not but maybe someone can confirm its there
    Last edited by ericidle; 09-25-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enjoi4586 View Post
    Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8L2127) crashdump Privilege Escalation Exploit

Humm, your right, that doesn't sound like a really dangerous exploit at all.
    Totally different. So someone can make long distance phone calls on your phone. Oh noes!!!1!!

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This was actually the case since June 30th. I remember doing this by accident. I didn't even know I was in emergency mode (drunk) and I called and while it's dialing I'm noticing that it was in emergency mode.

Green Apple
    Thanks

"The Emergency Call mode in passcode screen which is just meant to call emergency numbers like 911 can actually be used to call any number!"

Isn't it standard that all phones be able to contact an emergency number, with or without a contract? If that's the case, then have we been paying or bills for no reason?

-.-; Lame.

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be cool if that ow the main number pad GUI was!!
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12