+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lock Screen Alerts and Home Screen App Prefs in Apple Patents

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Application Preferences on Homescreen A patent filed by Apple hints to the possibility of individual preferences/settings for applications directly from the home screen instead of the current messy system of
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Default Lock Screen Alerts and Home Screen App Prefs in Apple Patents

Application Preferences on Homescreen

A patent filed by Apple hints to the possibility of individual preferences/settings for applications directly from the home screen instead of the current messy system of having to open up the app to change prefs or having to browse through the settings app menus to access preferences. The current system is a bit of a mess and I personally do not like app prefs being in the settings app at all.

"The user interface has a plurality of application icons. In response to a first gesture, the GUI changes the appearances of the application icons whose corresponding applications have user-adjustable settings," the filing explains. "In response to a second gesture on a selected application icon whose appearance is changed, the GUI displays user-adjustable settings of an application that corresponds to the selected application icon. In response to one or more additional gestures, the GUI changes one or more user-adjustable settings of the application that corresponds to the selected application icon."

From the patent diagram above it appears that Apple is thinking the plan is to put an "i" icon on the applications to open the settings from the home screen allowing settings to be easily accessed instead of having to browse through the menus. This system has been used before by Apple for Widgets. Not familiar with widgets? I made up a quick little image of what the system could look like if implemented.

LockScreen Advanced Notification

Apple also has a patent filed that looks a whole like IntelliScreen which is currently only available for jailbroken phones.

Apple could be planning on implementing this more advanced notification system for alerts like voicemail, email, text and possibly more on the lock screen. Further advances could be notifications that remain after the screen is unlocked so you don't have to rely on your memory to remember what notification you unlocked your phone for. Their patent also looks to cover buttons on the homescreen to take you directly to the notifications instead of unlocking your phone and making your way through the menus.

"In response to detecting an interaction by a user with the device, the plurality of icons display notification information for the plurality of communication modalities," the filing explains. "In response to detecting an unlock interaction by the user with the device, the device is unlocked, and a communication in the plurality of communications is presented that was received while the device was in the locked state, or information about the communication is presented."

Please remember the above to patents outline things that we could see on the iPhone. The patents do not mean that these features (while many of us would enjoy them ) are coming. It's up to Apple ---- or neat Apps like IntelliScreen

[via appleinsider]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally. I hope Apple adds these features!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yay. I would love that. Inteliscreen never worked on my phone, anyway, it looked complicated when it did!

Thanks

Come to think of it, it seems like it would be hard to open an app without accidently pressing the info icon. I can't think of a better fix though. Hopefully it will work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparblaze View Post
    Come to think of it, it seems like it would be hard to open an app without accidently pressing the info icon. I can't think of a better fix though. Hopefully it will work.
    According to the info above, the info icons (or whatever is used) would only appear in response to an initial gesture.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h.abdulhamid86 View Post
    According to the info above, the info icons (or whatever is used) would only appear in response to an initial gesture.
    Maybe the gesture would only show up after holding down the icon to get the wiggle effect?

Anyways, I don't see how Apple can make something better than Intelliscreen. It's so feature rich. Then again it's Apple so I'm waiting to see how this develops, if at all.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds good, hope these get implemented

iPhone? More like MyPhone A_SWELLGUY's Avatar
    Thanks

that would be another reason why I love my iphone. Geese this just gets better and better!
    iPhone: 16gb 2g
    firmware: 2.2.1
    Operating system: osx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Of course, if this is like Intelliscreen, then the patent application will probably fail because Intelliscreen can be quoted as 'prior art', in which case Apple may not implement it.

However, I suspect that Apple's lawyers have worked hard to get the legalese right so that they get the patent and can then sue the pants off Intelliborn for patent infringement!

Thanks

Dude, yes. It'll be nice to (hopefully) get an 'intelliscreen' like experience via Apple. Intelliscreen is nice and all, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way with their marketing.

Also, why not leave the prefs in the prefs? If you have so many apps that it takes a minute for your settings to pop up, then perhaps you should consider the necessity of all of those apps, rather than the necessity to put the prefs elsewhere.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be amazing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i CAN NOT WAIT
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

Thanks
    fingers crossed on this one!!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks promising. Is it going to have that ugly "i" because, well, it's really ugly! LOL

There are a few things I would rather see before this is developed.

1) MMS (old tech or not who gives a s*#^ I think most computers still come with a 56k modem FFS)
    2) Turn by turn directions (probably need to arrange with Google... just DO IT)
    3) Native themes (really, is it so hard... make money Apple and sell them on the appstore)
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-19-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

@h.abdulhamid86:
    Ok thx. Hmm. I wonder what that gesture could be. I think the wiggle idea would work, instead of dragging the icon around, just tap on it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Some of this is already on the iphone
    It is important to keep in mind that the parts the information screen patent are already put into place. For example we are already getting alerts about missed phone calls or text messages on the lock screen. Also when you get a text while you are using certain applications a screen pops up showing the text and giving an option to reply or close. That being said. If this is part of the original iphone patent then Intelliscreen is in trouble because Apple documented, patented and implemented the idea first.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Copy + paste, damn it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    oh god don't clutter the damn thing up it'll start to look like windows aagggg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to macgerry For This Useful Post:

mbaharvard (09-20-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

The "i" thing looks so ugly . Please let that not be it. I don't have a problem going to settings.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chbearsrock View Post
    Copy + paste, damn it!
    No kidding! Come on. I have Intelliscreen working perfectly.