Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Block Ads in MobilSafari

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I don't think the repos are dead - far from it.
    Missed the point..... traffic is down so it's already tight on the bills. If the repo's want to continue to operate they need a different ad revenue generator because the google ads own the internet.

Saurik is supposedly expanding Cydia to a full app store like environment. This is an example of taking the low traffic from the impending doom the repo's face and turning it into something. It's progressive thinking and it's moving on. It's the reason Cydia will survive and succeed. Saurik sees a problem and fixes it (though I don't care for his back peddling under pressure), he is to be complimented on continuing forward and moving with the times.

The day of the old style repo is dead. There's not enough being ported over, not enough devs aiming for free apps, when their eyes are on the prize... $$$ and Apple. Repo traffic is nothing like it was in 1.X. In this world you go with the flow and adapt, or you pick your tombstone. Saurik will succeed with his plans to expand, but the days of old repo's are just waiting for the final burial.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

2. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

freei (09-29-2008)

does anyone have their original hosts file for the 2g?
    i forgot to back mine up

Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

hmmm it's a tough 1!!!!!! Me personally I saw if u don't like the ads don't use the apps. Let the dev's sort out the advertising in their own time. No one is forcing u to use them. Ps without these guys u wouldn't b able to stop ANY ads. Show some respect!

I've been toggling the host file between the original & ad-blocked versions to suit my needs.

Most of the time I have the original in place. If for some reason I want to block ads I put the mod into /etc using MobileFinder. A BossPrefs service & bash scripts to toggle would be easiest. Not sure but it seems Cydia no longer updates with the host mod.

So my swapping very occasionally has no effect on dev income.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    I have never written a modification that in any way affected Apple's monetization strategies for their device.
    Ummm... Cydia comes to mind.
    I'm sure that Apple will explain to you that every app that doesn't go through the app store (free ones inclueded) affects their monetization strategies. Just having an alternative affects their monetization strategies. And that's not even getting into toolchains, compilers, jvms, and anything that lets one compile programs for the iPhone without first buying a mac, let alone an sdk.

On the flip side, I wouldn't have bought this iPhone if those things weren't possible. But I suspect you'll have a hard time explaining to Apple that you're helping them make money by providing a way to bypass their official monetization strategies. They'd probably just point out that you made this sort of adblocking possible the moment you helped port ssh.
    (I mean seriously, we're not even talking about any application development here. We're talking about a pre-dns arpanet era hosts file!)
    Which at the end of the day just means I'm grateful to you and your work, and Apple isn't so much. But don't try and pretend it's not what it is.

does anyone have the original 3g 2.1 hosts file? forgot to back mine up. I think this may be blocking cydia from updating, but not sure yet.

Edit: I used the hosts file jrentzke posted and cydia works again. what do i have to remove to make cydia and other apps work but still block ads in safari?
    Last edited by jdmmike; 09-30-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmmike View Post
    what do i have to remove to make cydia and other apps work but still block ads in safari?
    Delete any lines from the hosts file that include google ads for Cydia & anything that includes admob for Cycorder. There may be others.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    No offence to you personally, but your financial concerns aren't mine. If you're spamming me, I have every right to stop you. Bigboss has no authority and quite a bit of arrogance to tell someone not to block his ads.
    The idea that someone like oh, say, the 31 million+ monthly refreshes SOLELY on the MMi Cydia repo this month would

a) expect anything and everything for their iPhone at absolutely no cost to them,
    b) assume that dozens of TERABYTES of monthly bandwidth and multiple servers should be paid for by those people providing them free access to thousands of packages, and then
    c) term those people's SIMPLE REQUESTS to the community to not block the ONLY avenue of recompense they have as requests for "bowing down and pandering"

is what boggles me.

Speaking as someone who runs a repo myself, and sees the depressingly disproportionate amount of "you suck why isn't this better give me this now" email vs the LITERALLY less than two dozen thanks I've got since we started this repo (and no, I don't care - I'm solely pointing out attitude trends), I definitely think repo maintainers deserve a little respect, yes.

Remarks like
    No offence to you personally, but your financial concerns aren't mine. If you're spamming me, I have every right to stop you. Bigboss has no authority and quite a bit of arrogance to tell someone not to block his ads.
    and
    no one has the right to tell others how they should conduct the use of their own devices. Bigboss cannot demand that only his site be removed from this hosts file. You're all for telling Apple to stick it when it comes them trying to prevent you from modding your phone, but when it comes to a Dev making those same types of demands, you'll back them up? Seems rather two faced don't you think?
    are not "honest and direct opinions." They're blatant examples of disrespect. This has nothing to do with political games or posturing either - Ste or BigBoss "liking" MMi more isn't going to get them to send people to our site or convince them to run our ads in their packages. They have their own sites, lives, and priorities.

All I'm asking is that users (and mods, such as yourself) show a little respect to the people who spend HUNDREDS of hours a month contributing to this community (I personally spend ~ 3 hours a day on the repo alone, and BigBoss lists twice what I do) instead of labeling ONE simple, legitimate request as an assumption of deity on their part.

If you honestly think pissing on their requests is a proportionate response to the time they put in and the request they made, then maybe it would be better for you to step down.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    For the record, I am not telling you to not block my ads. I'm simply preventing my apps to load if you do block them. I'm sorry if you feel that is arrogant. No one has a noose around your neck forcing you to run my apps, however.

As a side note, I am submitting a few of my appstore worthy apps to appstore. If the audience there is large enough I may lift the restriction. I'd rather make my money off fanboys and leave jailbreakers alone. I'll experiment with it.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

My suggestion to BigBoss, Saurik and all those other excellent devs who have created very useful apps for the Iphone.

Make all apps that you develop support two modes of operation:-

a) If ads are enabled on the IPhone allow the app to run for free. On the other hand if ads are disabled show the error message that this app cannot run with ads disabled like some apps do and exit.

b) If the owner pays a reasonable license fee for the app then disable the ads. So those who contribute to the devs would get an ad free experience.

That should keep devs and users happy except for those freeloaders who feel entitled to get everything for free and i doubt you can make them happy while earning a living.

It would in my opinion be a better model than the Appstore model where you cannot try an app to see if its worth the money before you have to pay for it.

/sanjay

Quote Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
    My suggestion to BigBoss, Saurik and all those other excellent devs who have created very useful apps for the Iphone.

Make all apps that you develop support two modes of operation:-

a) If ads are enabled on the IPhone allow the app to run for free. On the other hand if ads are disabled show the error message that this app cannot run with ads disabled like some apps do and exit.

b) If the owner pays a reasonable license fee for the app then disable the ads. So those who contribute to the devs would get an ad free experience.

That should keep devs and users happy except for those freeloaders who feel entitled to get everything for free and i doubt you can make them happy while earning a living.

It would in my opinion be a better model than the Appstore model where you cannot try an app to see if its worth the money before you have to pay for it.

/sanjay
    The problem with that is that cracked version of jailbroken apps will start popping up. Hell cycorder is available without ads now via crack.

Quote Originally Posted by remf View Post
    Delete any lines from the hosts file that include google ads for Cydia & anything that includes admob for Cycorder. There may be others.
    the only problem i'm having with this is cydia isn't updating anymore. the last changes where from september 24th! I removed admob, im not sure if google is the problem, and i hope it isnt because i hate google ads
    Last edited by jdmmike; 10-01-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

it seems this thread is dead. its been a while since my post and i was actually coming back here looking for a modified hosts file because i had upgraded to 2.2 and the ads in safari are killing my edge speeds. i read through this whole thread and wow, crazy, just crazy. i'd just like to say i still think bigboss, saurik, and the repo hosts have ads because they need them there to have a source of revenue to keep making great apps.

on a side note, i didn't know why cydia had stopped updating itself a while ago for me, i just reinstalled cydia and it fixed the problem... im guessing the reinstall replaced my modified hosts file?

anyway, i'd like to make a simple request to saurik, bigboss, and any cydia repo hosts:
    can you compile a list of ad servers not to block so we can have some ad blocking in safari? this seems to me to be a sensible solution, have you (the developers and repo hosts) create your own modified hosts file that does not hurt your revenue in any way.

if this request still has implications for your revenue, then... i take it back? ha i can't remember the correct word, but yes, if it still implicates revenue, i don't mind having to deal with ads

andd to finish to this off, i'd just like to say thanks to bigboss, saurik, and all cydia developers and hosts (including you ste ) for all your hard work, as someone mentioned, most people here just like to ask and complain about things but never seem able to say a simple thing : thank you

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    (when it becomes more attractive to my future to go back and work at my old day consulting job rather than writing iPhone software, I will).
    Please do go back to your old job. How much money are you making on this anyway? The sooner you and BigBoss stop developing, the sooner we will get others to fill the void who will make apps without ads. I use Linux and there so many more packages available for free than on Cydia that have no ads at all. I do not even know of an ad-supported package available from my Linux distribution's repository. One day that will be the case with the iPhone jailbreak apps when there will be more choices and we will not have to put up with annoying ad-supported jailbreak apps. You stopping development would hasten this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to charles1194-94 For This Useful Post:

freei (12-14-2008)

Anybody who have the original hosts file for 2.2 FW??
    I need it thanks.
    //Hack´z

8GB 1:st gen. FW 3.1.2 Pwnage v3.1.4, 16GB 1:st gen. FW 3.1.2 Pwnage v3.1.4, 16GB 3Gs FW 3.1.3 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken Pwnage v3.1.4, 32GB 3Gs FW 4.0.1 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken jbme.com
    16GB 4G FW 4..2.1 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken GP
    16GB iPad WiFi FW 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP, 32GB iPad WiFi+3G FW 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP, ATV2 fw 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP
    MacBookPro OS X 10.6.6 1TB HD

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    Been doing this for over a week now. Had to remove admon.com line from host for categories.
    I can't find admon.com .....and i have deleted all admob referencesa as well but i still can't open categories....any help

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345