+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Block Ads in MobilSafari

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Well said. Very very true.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well said. Very very true.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Ad blocking technology has been an important in all browsers for years. Nearly everyone runs some form of add blocking or pop up blockers. It's built in to the browsers. Until now the iPhone was a cash cow for advertisers looking for hits, but when the iPhone gets it's first ad blocking everyone whines.

It's all about conduct. You're supporting and promoting a community that is built on file modifications, but when someone does something that affects your wallet it's "Put the brakes on here, whoa this is not good". It's been fine for over a year now until someone did something that affected YOU. When this happens you find ways to deal with it, properly, professionally. You come up with solutions like a dev should. You don't come onto an internet forum and whine about it.

It is in this conduct that you hypocritically criticize the very conduct you have built your existence off of. You damn the very action you promote (file modding, distribution, enhancement) because now it affects YOU indirectly. It has nothing to do with whether or not I think the package distributors deserve the money or not, it is a matter of hypocritical protest rather than quiet professional solution to the issue.

It's funny, Apple has been fighting people modding their phones with YOUR package sites every since the iphone came out fighting YOU and what you do, but when it happens to you.......

now we have to find a way to work around this *WHIMPER*
    Like Apple has been working around you for the last year+, right? It must burn when the wind shifts directions.

Both Boss and Saurik give the community a service that we can appreciate completely. Both deserve to get paid for doing so. NEITHER get the free pass to hypocritically whine about someone doing something to them that they have been doing to Apple and others for over a year now when the wind finally shifts one time against them. Solve the problem quietly, professionally, properly.

There are a lot of people on this earth that have done great things, then turned around and handled a situation stupidly and been forgotten no matter what they did good. It's how the tide shifts and the world turns. Remember when Metallica sued their fans? ..... heh, that was a good business move. Lessoned learned though, doesn't matter how good you are..... you screw up and whine about it and you'll be forgotten by next week. No one has given a damn about them since.

No one on the other side of the fence here should have responded further than "This will affect revenue that keep the apps going, please consider that" (the end) Then go into the lab and find a work around. The hypocritical whine doesn't go well with the cheese being served.

Until now it's been everyone against apple and everyone for Saurik and Boss. One big free ride with everyone supporting you and on your side. Now the first cut is the deepest, it's time to finally act like the businessmen you are trying to be. It's how the system operates. Apple doesn't come out whining about you and everything you do to promote communities working against them. They go back and HANDLE IT.

"Welcome to the business world boys".

You wanted it, you got it.
    Last edited by one1; 09-20-2008 at 05:27 AM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

3. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

freei (09-29-2008)

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Untrue backatcha, I am literally looking through Cydia as we speak. Same old "donate" screen it always was. Who wants to follow a link off the installer? Others are putting everything right there.
    I believe you are looking at my repository for 1.x, where it's true that I have not re-made all my packages to be in line with how I make my 2.x packages.

My 2.x packages are just as nicely done as any of the other major repos.

Have no fear though. You likely won't have to look at my old packages for long, if enough people block ads. Without the revenue, I'll be unable to host them and the repo will go away.

-ste

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sterickson View Post
    I believe you are looking at my repository for 1.x, where it's true that I have not re-made all my packages to be in line with how I make my 2.x packages.

My 2.x packages are just as nicely done as any of the other major repos.

Have no fear though. You likely won't have to look at my old packages for long, if enough people block ads. Without the revenue, I'll be unable to host them and the repo will go away.

-ste
    Kudos on re-implementing the 2.0 apps properly.

Thanks

Default Nice
    Ad blocking technology has been an important in all browsers for years. Nearly everyone runs some form of add blocking or pop up blockers. It's built in to the browsers. Until now the iPhone was a cash cow for advertisers looking for hits, but when the iPhone gets it's first ad blocking everyone whines.

It's all about conduct. You're supporting and promoting a community that is built on file modifications, but when someone does something that affects your wallet it's "Put the brakes on here, whoa this is not good". It's been fine for over a year now until someone did something that affected YOU. When this happens you find ways to deal with it, properly, professionally. You come up with solutions like a dev should. You don't come onto an internet forum and whine about it.

It is in this conduct that you hypocritically criticize the very conduct you have built your existence off of. You damn the very action you promote (file modding, distribution, enhancement) because now it affects YOU indirectly. It has nothing to do with whether or not I think the package distributors deserve the money or not, it is a matter of hypocritical protest rather than quiet professional solution to the issue.

It's funny, Apple has been fighting people modding their phones with YOUR package sites every since the iphone came out fighting YOU and what you do, but when it happens to you.......

Like Apple has been working around you for the last year+, right? It must burn when the wind shifts directions.

Both Boss and Saurik give the community a service that we can appreciate completely. Both deserve to get paid for doing so. NEITHER get the free pass to hypocritically whine about someone doing something to them that they have been doing to Apple and others for over a year now when the wind finally shifts one time against them. Solve the problem quietly, professionally, properly.

There are a lot of people on this earth that have done great things, then turned around and handled a situation stupidly and been forgotten no matter what they did good. It's how the tide shifts and the world turns. Remember when Metallica sued their fans? ..... heh, that was a good business move. Lessoned learned though, doesn't matter how good you are..... you screw up and whine about it and you'll be forgotten by next week. No one has given a damn about them since.

No one on the other side of the fence here should have responded further than "This will affect revenue that keep the apps going, please consider that" (the end) Then go into the lab and find a work around. The hypocritical whine doesn't go well with the cheese being served.

Until now it's been everyone against apple and everyone for Saurik and Boss. One big free ride with everyone supporting you and on your side. Now the first cut is the deepest, it's time to finally act like the businessmen you are trying to be. It's how the system operates. Apple doesn't come out whining about you and everything you do to promote communities working against them. They go back and HANDLE IT.

"Welcome to the business world boys".

You wanted it, you got it.
    That's a great post. Very well said.

Developer
    Thanks

Default Definitely Not Hypocritical

I have never stolen an iPhone. I have never stolen an App Store app. I encourage developers to put applications that Apple will let them sell on the App Store on App Store. I have never unlocked an iPhone (I proudly use AT&T) nor have I ever worked on unlocking software or technology. I have never written a modification that in any way affected Apple's monetization strategies for their device. Your comments are not just insulting, they are outright false. The /only/ person who is stealing any service here is you. Frowny /pants/.

Thanks

wow, I think this war is no good. At the end of the day I think we need the devs, their great apps & the repos more than no ads. Maybe a compromise could be that the ads don't run while on EDGE?
    Last edited by jrentzke; 09-21-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    I have never stolen an iPhone. I have never stolen an App Store app. I encourage developers to put applications that Apple will let them sell on the App Store on App Store. I have never unlocked an iPhone (I proudly use AT&T) nor have I ever worked on unlocking software or technology. I have never written a modification that in any way affected Apple's monetization strategies for their device. Your comments are not just insulting, they are outright false. The /only/ person who is stealing any service here is you. Frowny /pants/.
    You don't wash blood off your hands that easily my friend, nice try though. It's why they have the word "Accessory" in the judicial system.

Hmm let's load Cydia...

Well, there's the unlocking tool..........

....and there's all the Tmobile unlocked packages........

...and who prides themselves on making it available to the community? You would be one of the three.

You're really forcing the conversation further than I care to take it by trying to wiggle backwards with the "no blood on my hands" defense, so I'd really rather drop it because it's not going to go anywhere from here and I'd like to still respect you and your efforts to give the community what they want when I wake up tomorrow..... which at the moment I still do and would gladly donate (again).
    Last edited by one1; 09-20-2008 at 03:52 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

freei (09-29-2008)

Thanks

We know respect for Saurik, BigBoss, et al goes a long way. I have to say that one1 has put together a good argument about our right to block ads. After I donate to the developers (which I have) and buy many of the Cydia apps (which I also have) if I choose not to be subjected to ads that should be my choice - provided I have the knowledge to block them. I feel I have paid for services, GREATLY APPRECIATED services, from the developers and I hope that they continue to do the great work they do. Please, Saurik, the blocking of ads is not aimed at you with a bulls-eye - we love and admire your work - it is just an extension of the modding community and the ramifications on the whole are minuscule compared to the number of JB'ed iPhone users and those that can use this option to block ads.

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Um, beg pardon, Saurik? I have never stolen an iPhone or an AppStore App either. I am on AT&T as well, but my right to do with my phone as I please is why we are all here in the first place. I have donated to you and I am truly tempted to go back to an unjailbroken iPhone because of all this banter and posturing. Where will your revenue be then? Not that I am the only revenue source - it is just an example to signify that the impact of a few of us blocking ads because we know how will NOT significantly affect your revenue stream.
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 09-20-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It doesn't filter ads when t-zones hack is used. Need to edit the proxy.pac file instead of the hosts file?

maz
    Thanks

Add ads for deveoplment.
    Last edited by maz; 09-22-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    //Hackīz

8GB 1:st gen. FW 3.1.2 Pwnage v3.1.4, 16GB 1:st gen. FW 3.1.2 Pwnage v3.1.4, 16GB 3Gs FW 3.1.3 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken Pwnage v3.1.4, 32GB 3Gs FW 4.0.1 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken jbme.com
    16GB 4G FW 4..2.1 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken GP
    16GB iPad WiFi FW 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP, 32GB iPad WiFi+3G FW 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP, ATV2 fw 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP
    MacBookPro OS X 10.6.6 1TB HD

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    Hi bro!
    As my eyes are bleeding after try to find the BB ads in the host file I wanna ask u if itīs possible for me to have it from you with BBīs ads deleted from it??? I just want to have BigBoss ads away and the others left. Be coz I canīt find it and I have not that notepad stuff as u mention. Is that okay with you?? my mail are: matz.a at me.com

thx in advance
    I'm sorry, but I have to say this is really irritating me. Everyone seems ok with allowing the AdMob ads, which more and more developers are building into their apps, to show, but no one seems willing to allow Google AdSense ads to show, which is what those of us who run repositories use to display in Cydia (we can't use AdMob ads there, I believe, due to their design).

Do you really not want us to make ANY money? If that's true, then you will simply kill off all large repositories as we cannot afford to pay (hundreds or thousands (that's no exaggeration) of dollars) for the privilege of providing apps to people who don't want us to recoup our costs with ads. We distributors provide value to you, too. We take what the developers make, clean it up, package it up, test it, make suggestions for improvement, handle support questions, set up and maintain the repositories and/or servers and so on. We deserve to get something for our efforts too.

-ste
    Last edited by sterickson; 09-22-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: changed two words to sound less combative

maz
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
    BigBoss is one of the best devs on Cydia. I respect his choice and erased the line.
    Hi!
    Do u know where I can find that host file with BigBoss ads deleted?? I have tried to find it now and delete it and ssh in the file again for 1,5 hrs but canīt.
    Thx!

I'm sorry, but I have to say this is really irritating me. Everyone seems ok with allowing the AdMob ads, which more and more developers are building into their apps, to show, but no one seems willing to allow Google AdSense ads to show, which is what those of us who run repositories use to display in Cydia (we can't use AdMob ads there, I believe, due to their design).

Do you really not want us to make ANY money? If that's true, then you will simply kill off all large repositories as we cannot afford to pay (hundreds or thousands (that's no exaggeration) of dollars) for the privilege of providing apps to people who don't want us to recoup our costs with ads. We distributors provide value to you, too. We take what the developers make, clean it up, package it up, test it, make suggestions for improvement, handle support questions, set up and maintain the repositories and/or servers and so on. We deserve to get something for our efforts too.

-ste
    Sorry me!
    I didnīt mean it so. I can keep the ads as u guys have if u just give me a chance to take away all other crap who pops up from time to time. Iīm a nob so I canīt say so much about this issue but I want to have that choice. Is that fair?
    I have pay for many 3.rd part apps and Iīm glad if I can support u guys but plz donīt blame me as I was cheap charlie.
    Last edited by maz; 09-22-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    //Hackīz

8GB 1:st gen. FW 3.1.2 Pwnage v3.1.4, 16GB 1:st gen. FW 3.1.2 Pwnage v3.1.4, 16GB 3Gs FW 3.1.3 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken Pwnage v3.1.4, 32GB 3Gs FW 4.0.1 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken jbme.com
    16GB 4G FW 4..2.1 Factory Unlock'd & Jailbroken GP
    16GB iPad WiFi FW 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP, 32GB iPad WiFi+3G FW 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP, ATV2 fw 4.2.1 Jailbroken GP
    MacBookPro OS X 10.6.6 1TB HD

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't even see how this turned into a debate...

Simply put:

If you want things to remain 'free'. Keep the ads.

If you don't want ads, then don't expect things to be free (unlocking, jailbreaking, winpwn, winterboard, etc). Have fun with your boring little iPhone without ads that can't do half of what an ad backed, unlocked-jailbroken, winterboard-pimped-out iPhone can.

Saurik. Big Boss. As well as any other developer facing this same issue. Just start charging for your apps for a few weeks...months. Apps don't abide by Apple's rules for the AppStore? Then simply don't offer it. We'll see how quickly peoples moral begin to drop and sites like the one we're on now start to diminish.

Then, you can leave them with one simple statement.

"Told you so."

As for me, I will back you guys regardless of your decisions. The fact that you guys (some, not all) undertake the task of creating such awesome apps and then giving people the option of payment (donating), places you on a level of respect that is unparalleled by those who charge for their apps off the bat. I am in no way belittling those who do this, sometimes you have no choice. But there is still a significant difference.

Thanks for your time. I normally come to this site and do about 99% reading rather then posting. Something about reading this article and seeing peoples reactions and rationality of the situation kind of boggled my mind. But hey, to each his own...

Epiksol
    epiksol.com
    Last edited by epiksol; 09-22-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epiksol View Post
    Saurik. Big Boss. As well as any other developer facing this same issue. Just start charging for your apps for a few weeks...months.
    That won't work as people will simply crack the apps then, like they already do for App Store apps and any JB app that dares to require a donation before getting a license key.

Too many people think no one deserves to make any money for their efforts. Yet they want quality apps, complete with support, easy installation like from App Store, fast downloads, etc., for free.

Not to mention that those of us who run repositories have no way to charge for the services we provide. All we can do is earn money from the ads or perhaps get donations from users and/or developers.

-ste

Thanks

-ste
    Umm that's an easy one..... google adsense is EVERY WHERE ON EVERY FORUM AND MOST WEB PAGES. That's the entire point of wiping the ads where we surf. That's the big 70% of ads in one whack that are slowing down the internet for all of us when browsing. Thats was the entire point of the post, the ads slow down these dinky browsers on edge and 3g.

I'm sorry you get caught in the mix, but you're using the one ad EVERYONE wants to block. May want to use a different ad vendor? Dunno if that's possible, but that is the solution because blocking GOOGLE's almighty hand in every page of the internet is the main objective goal and that's not changing. That is what is slowing us down EVERYWHERE. You are basically asking the entire iphone community to suffer the entire internet over your one repo, and that is in itself selfish if you can perhaps find another ad revenue generator. Can I help you find one? Can I click a web page for you from my Mac here and make up some usage clicks? Can you create a web page and have it posted in the forums that simply say "click this once a day of you want a repo"?

I think so..... I think you just aren't looking at your options.
    Last edited by one1; 09-22-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Developer
    Thanks

Umm that's an easy one..... google adsense is EVERY WHERE ON EVERY FORUM AND MOST WEB PAGES. That's the entire point of wiping the ads where we surf. That's the big 70% of ads in one whack that are slowing down the internet for all of us when browsing. Thats was the entire point of the post, the ads slow down these dinky browsers on edge and 3g.

I'm sorry you get caught in the mix, but you're using the one ad EVERYONE wants to block. May want to use a different ad vendor? Dunno if that's possible, but that is the solution because blocking GOOGLE's almighty hand in every page of the internet is the main objective goal and that's not changing. That is what is slowing us down EVERYWHERE. You are basically asking the entire iphone community to suffer the entire internet over your one repo, and that is in itself selfish if you can perhaps find another ad revenue generator.
    It's not just me, but other repo maintainers as well. And I'm sure that the hosts file blocks eBay ads and many other ad sources in addition to AdSense ads.

People sure have a lot of balls to say that BigBoss can't tell people not to block his ads and then turn around and dictate to us what ad sources we can/can't use.

-ste

I will correct myself on something that I was just educated on. Apparently I *can* use AdMob ads in Cydia.

... goes off to look into this further ...

-ste
    Last edited by sterickson; 09-22-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

This isn't 1.1.4 and everybody's celebrating........ there are only a handful of people porting to 2.0 so you can't sit here and draw numbers from the last year and a half to predict for the future. How long do you expect the last few dwindlers to hang around on the packages and repo's?

Life is progressive. You're already running thin because you lost 75% of your traffic since "themes" aren't going to draw people to keep riding the 2.0 repo bandwagon and devs are porting to ..... the app store. It's change, it happens. Trends, times, move on.

Devs like Boss and Saurik have a shot of making it "good enough" to hang on, but we're going to be on 2.4 in 6 months and then what.... 3.0! Two main devs and a handful of one shot wonders are going to push repo's through 3.0? B.S........... This gravy train is already one foot in the grave, this is just grabbing the other shovel and filling the hole quicker.

8 months ago the repo's were so hot you couldn't keep up... literally. I watched them fall behind from all the programs being shoved through them daily. Hell, now someone ports a program what.... every few days maybe? OK, so they port an OLD program... how many devs are kicking out NEW programs for repos? Not many............

Big Boss has consistently put out the most useful apps of any source be it app store, repo, or some random link off rapidshare. Saurik as of late has been sticking it in the azz of the paid programs apps to drive traffic to the repo from the huge decrease in traffic from last year. Yeah, he's giving us what we want, and saving his azz in the process. Nothing wrong with it... that's business. He see's a problem, he creates a solution..... high traffic from making apps identical to paid apps, and putting them out for free.

Everybody in the REPO business is trying to save their azz. 1.4 is dead, 2.0 is "skimpy" the only place to get 700 apps......... Apple.

Go ahead and beg for the hits........ the repo's were dead the second the app store opened and 2.0 came out. Hanging on isn't going to make this last year again.

.......and for the record...... I think it sucks. Review my posts and all I talk about is "The good days"........... the golden days.

and PLEASE do not take this as an attack, but rather a reference to the facts of the timeline. If you do as I said and find OTHER ways to add revenue ad sources (like ad mob) you'll be OK, it's google that we need to remove from the internet for our browsers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great points One1, it's all about the getting rid of the glug that slows down the browser, no matter what platform.

Darwin's theory applies yet again...move on, migrate or get swallowed up. Migrate to the ad monetisation model that's not all pervasive & offer a nominal direct purchase option to remove ads or get lost in the tip calculators at Appstore. Sound advice, I'd say.

Thanks

I don't think the repos are dead - far from it. At least not as long as Apple has those strict limitations to what an app can do in place. There are many quality apps that you can only find on the repos, because they are not allowed in the App Store. I'm sure those devs would love to make some money with their apps, but with Apples restrictions, the only other avenue for distribution would be the repos. And if they choose to recoup / make some money off their apps, by not charging for it, but only from displayed ads, it shouldn't be such a big deal.
    The google ads are the worst. And if you live somewhere with high data charges, it makes it even worse. I do find though that the admob ads are about as unobtrusive as you are going to get. As I've mentioned before, a good compromise would be to only show the ads while on a wifi connection.
    Let's face it, ads are here to stay. Many new & free apps on the App Store are also incorporating ads now, so this is not just a jailbreak community phenomena.