Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneModem with zsrelay - Secure, Solid, and Free

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Default iPhoneModem with zsrelay - Secure, Solid, and Free

A few days ago, we showed you iPhoneModem, by Addition. If you like a super quick solution with no security, but a great interface and extreme ease of use, that solution is still a great one, and can be found on our Cydia source as iPhoneModem by Addition. It is shareware, running $9.99.

Last night we posted iPhoneModem zsrelay - a solution (which actually had the iPhoneModem name first, but didn't release a public beta until after Addition did - for now, the packages have the same name, and are marked as "by Addition" or "zsrelay") which offers SSH encryption, background running of the daemon, and best of all - its completely free.

Their website has instructions on how to get the Mac app running (its a tad more involved the first time you set it up - you have to go into the settings and put in your iPhone's MAC address, wlan name you'd like to make, and a password for it) - once set up, though, its fully secure and running beautifully.

From their site:

HOWTO iPhoneModem on Mac

Copy iPhoneModem to your Applications folder and launch it. A little iPhone icon will appear in your menu bar - click it. In the new popup menu choose "Setup...". Please fill in all fields exactly. "IP-Address of Mac" is the Address of your mac will use in the ad-hoc network. The last component (after the third dot) can be any value between 1 and 254 except 113, this reserved for the iPhone. "Password of Mac" is the password of the adminstartors account on your Mac (usually your account). "Wlan Name" will be used as the name of new ad-hoc network which you'll use to connect to your iPhone later on. For the WEP encryption enter a 13 character long password in the "Wlan-Password" box. Leave the "Socks Port" as it is. "iPhone root Password" should be clear - by default - is set to alpine and must be changed. To do so open Terminal with your iPhone and mac in the same network. Connect to your iPhone (ssh iphoneip -l root). The command "passwd" will change your root password - be sure to choose a password you remember! Repeat this step to change the password for the mobile user: "passwd mobile", (default here is alpine on fw ( 2.1 and dottie afterward). Finally fill in the MAC address of your iPhone's Wifi interface in the box "iPhone Mac Address". You can find your Wi-Fi Address under Settings > General > About. Save this settings, open the iPhoneModem popup again and choose "start connection...".

How to run iPhoneModem zsrelay on your iPhone

Running iPhoneModem zsrelay on your iPhone involves only a few easy steps:
    Install 'iPhoneModem zsrelay' from Cydia.It is hosted on the MMi repository and listed in the 'Networking' section.
    Restart SpringBoard - (optionaly if you want status icons)
    Go into your iPhone preferences and select 'iPhoneModem'.
    Choose your options:
    - 'Insomnia mode': Network connections will be keept alive even when you iPhone is locked (recommended).
    - 'SSH on launch': Start sshd along with zsrelay. This is needed if you want to use ssh for secure tunneling.
    Start iPhoneModem zsrelay - (flip the 'start proxy' switch) If you did restart your springbord a status icon will appear after a few seconds. Depending on your insomnia mode settings this icon is either gray or blue/orange. The colored reminds you that the network keep-alive is active.
    Connect your mac/pc to zsrelay using SOCKS5 on port 1080.
    'Advanced' preferences:The advanced tab contains some additional settings and status information. Here you can disable or enable the status icons and modify the URL used for keeping your outbound GPRS/EDGE/3G connection happy.This page also displays a nice traffic meter on the top so you can keep track on your active connections and data transfers.
    iPhoneModem, Internet für Mac und iPhone

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

mannyfresh (09-17-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Do either one of the iPHoneModem apps have Windows instructions? I never could get netshare to work with windows. I'm disapointed that these other two solutions dont seem to have windows insturctions as well. ANyone get it to work with Vista?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

zenecis (09-18-2008)

This works with 2G right?

Also I like how on the bottom of their site it says "Windows User Can use it out of the Box" but it comes in a .dmg file and they give no instructions on how to do so.
    Last edited by elr0y7; 09-17-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Read here if you want to share iphone's internet with microsoft windows
    AFter some research i found out a VERY easy method of sharring iphone's internet with you notebook. Im not into MAC so i just tested this method in Microsoft Windows Vista. You will be able to use every single application: yahoo messenger , any other time of messenger , internet explorer etc. any application will have internet if you fallow this guide.
    In this below method we will use a software that capture all network traffic from your microsoft running PC and forward the traffic to iphone's socks5 server.

You need to create an ad-hoc network connection betwen your iphone and your microsoft PC. After having the ad-hoc connection run Iphonemodem software on your iphone . On your microsoft PC install the Software called profixier (go to Proxifier - Bypass firewall and proxy, tunnel connections through an HTTPS and SOCKS proxy). You can use this software for 31 days . After the trial period you ll need to buy it for 39.99$ i guess unless you find a run around method to get it free(lol) After you install the software you need to go to OPTIONS>PROXY SETTINGS> use your iphone's IP and make sure you set the port to 1080. DONE!!!

You are good to go ...

P.S. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SET ANYTHING TO ANY PROGRAM . SIMPLY YOU NEED TO RUN PROXIFIER AND THIS SOFTWARE CAPTURES NETWORK TRAFFIC AND FORWARDS IT TO IPHONE'S SOCK5 SERVER USING THE AD-HOC CONNECTION THAT YOU CREATED!

ENJOY
    Last edited by deceneu; 09-17-2008 at 05:08 PM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deceneu For This Useful Post:

gazzax (09-18-2008), LaZARuZ (09-18-2008), mannyfresh (09-17-2008), r1994augusto (09-21-2008), smuth (02-02-2009)

get app, pretty much works perfectly. The only problem I have with it so far is that only Safari works by default, but the website says they are working on a fix for that. Once that is done it will be perfect. Oh and I am using an original iPhone with firmware 2.1 on 10.5.5.

they mention something about boss prefs control for Zrelay but i find nothing of that sort.

Craps out repeatedly at "Testing the environment", complaining about the iPhones SSH server not being activated. Gets through the initial "connecting to iPhone" stage fine though.

I've confirmed over and over that it's setup as instructed, and still nothing.

HI oshawapilot

It dos a test for the open port 22. If it give you an error then let the Message standing and do in Terminal:

ssh iphoneiphere -l root

Tell me the error. Have you realy installed the OpenSSH Package?

Ciao Marco

12. The Following User Says Thank You to marcoxyz For This Useful Post:

oshawapilot (09-17-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by marcoxyz View Post
    Have you realy installed the OpenSSH Package?
    Ahh, OpenSSH was the problem. I had it installed, but apparently it was corrupt. A reinstall of openSSH resulted in the tether working immediately.

Awesome! Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i keep getting an error every time i start iphonemodem, i get "applescript error, the command exited with a non-zero status. (255)

any help
    Last edited by pingwhen; 09-17-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: i cant read :)
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

pingwhen - you have a special character in your password?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Has anyone heard of people getting charged extra for using teather on the iphone without permission?

I have yet to see a single report. Curious if I missed it, or simply rare occurrence.

I use prepay so they can't really charge extra but I don't want to get disconnected and have to get a new phone# etc either.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    pingwhen - you have a special character in your password?
    well i got it to work, but i had to delete the file in libray/pref, anyways my password and my real password are different, so i cant change the mac password for some reason, anyways safari works and so does ichat is there a way to get firefox to work? or when i tether i just have to use safari
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

I like how this is integrated to the systems but it is completely unnecessary and causes a great deal of pain in the fact that you have to change your passwords and are limited to password authentication.

With macs you already have the benefit of locations under the Network Preferences and the iPhone saves static ips by connection and by editing the ~/.ssh/config file you can even save the ssh connection. This is the setup I have been using since day one of jailbreaking without any other software and it works great. No changes to my passwords, in fact I have key authentication setup for ssh.

I simply switch my location, create my adhoc network on my mac and select it on my iPhone then open my saved ssh (with remote 1080 parameter) and I am off. In fact I am using it now and have been for a long time with no problem. Easy to switch on and off and don't have to remember settings or passwords.

Just my two cents. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
    Has anyone heard of people getting charged extra for using teather on the iphone without permission?

I have yet to see a single report. Curious if I missed it, or simply rare occurrence.

I use prepay so they can't really charge extra but I don't want to get disconnected and have to get a new phone# etc either.
    In short... NO

Your usage is behind the proxy (iPhone) so it appears as if the usage is originating from the iPhone itself.
    Last edited by lehighkid; 09-17-2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lehighkid For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (09-17-2008)

this is an awesome app, took me some time to figure it out... finally got it to connect. My iphone only gets EDGE connection in my house, but I was still able to connect to Youtube and google and stuff in a fair enough amount of time. I couldn't browse via FireFox, but Safari worked.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lehighkid View Post
    I like how this is integrated to the systems but it is completely unnecessary and causes a great deal of pain in the fact that you have to change your passwords and are limited to password authentication............

Great post.
    Last edited by Muggz5; 09-17-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deceneu View Post
    AFter some research i found out a VERY easy method of sharring iphone's internet with you notebook. Im not into MAC so i just tested this method in Microsoft Windows Vista. You will be able to use every single application: yahoo messenger , any other time of messenger , internet explorer etc. any application will have internet if you fallow this guide.
    In this below method we will use a software that capture all network traffic from your microsoft running PC and forward the traffic to iphone's socks5 server.

You need to create an ad-hoc network connection betwen your iphone and your microsoft PC. After having the ad-hoc connection run Iphonemodem software on your iphone . On your microsoft PC install the Software called profixier (go to Proxifier - Bypass firewall and proxy, tunnel connections through an HTTPS and SOCKS proxy). You can use this software for 31 days . After the trial period you ll need to buy it for 39.99$ i guess unless you find a run around method to get it free(lol) After you install the software you need to go to OPTIONS>PROXY SETTINGS> use your iphone's IP and make sure you set the port to 1080. DONE!!!

You are good to go ...
    P.S. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SET ANYTHING TO ANY PROGRAM . SIMPLY YOU NEED TO RUN PROXIFIER AND THIS SOFTWARE CAPTURES NETWORK TRAFFIC AND FORWARDS IT TO IPHONE'S SOCK5 SERVER USING THE AD-HOC CONNECTION THAT YOU CREATED!

ENJOY

Ive attempted your method with no success.

The steps ive followed in an attempt to tether to my pc are as follows...

1.) created an Adhoc network called iphonemodem (not that it really matters)

2.) I then turned on this connection and connected to it on my computer as well as my phone

3.) I then fired up the software you recomended and set my port to 1080 as well as my phones ip which was this 169.254.51.59

With both of these connected
    openssh installed
    and this new modem software installed and on

I am still unable to connect

I have tried firefox, ie, google chrome, and safari as browsers and all have failed.

any thoughts on this?

I'm trying this on mac and keep getting "No DHCP server running" error. The website says stop VMWare, but i don't see that anywhere.
    Last edited by oo3; 09-17-2008 at 11:47 PM.

I support Special caracters but not all here a List:

! # % ^ & * ][ {} - + = ; : \ ? / , . <> ~` ()

For FireFox you simply put in Address Field : about:config

Then do a search for socks and make these Settings:

network.proxy.socks 127.0.0.1
    network.proxy.socks_port 9999
    network.proxy.socks_remote_dns true
    network.proxy.socks_version 5
    network.proxy.type 1

For Mail.app:

Mail.app is buggy Apple know it since years but dont fix it. Mail.app cant resolve names over Socks Proxy. So simply put ip-addresses instead of the Names in Mail.app for all your POP,SMTP and IMAP Servers also for MobileMe.

Ciao Marco

@oo3

Check your iphone mac address in settings maybe a ; and not : and if you find nothing open Console and send me the dhcpd messages to [email protected]

For the settings in applikations:

iPhone Modem Tethering alles neu - apfelcaf - forum

Describes in german but you can understand the screenshots
    Last edited by marcoxyz; 09-18-2008 at 02:20 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to marcoxyz For This Useful Post:

oo3 (09-18-2008)

"background running of the daemon..."

ya know, for the longest time I thought that there was somebody out there named "mailer daemon" that kept retuning all my damned emails!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast