+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneModem with zsrelay - Secure, Solid, and Free

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by deceneu AFter some research i found out a VERY easy method of sharring iphone's internet with you notebook. Im not into MAC so i just tested this
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deceneu View Post
    AFter some research i found out a VERY easy method of sharring iphone's internet with you notebook. Im not into MAC so i just tested this method in Microsoft Windows Vista. You will be able to use every single application: yahoo messenger , any other time of messenger , internet explorer etc. any application will have internet if you fallow this guide.
    In this below method we will use a software that capture all network traffic from your microsoft running PC and forward the traffic to iphone's socks5 server.

You need to create an ad-hoc network connection betwen your iphone and your microsoft PC. After having the ad-hoc connection run Iphonemodem software on your iphone . On your microsoft PC install the Software called profixier (go to Proxifier - Bypass firewall and proxy, tunnel connections through an HTTPS and SOCKS proxy). You can use this software for 31 days . After the trial period you ll need to buy it for 39.99$ i guess unless you find a run around method to get it free(lol) After you install the software you need to go to OPTIONS>PROXY SETTINGS> use your iphone's IP and make sure you set the port to 1080. DONE!!!

You are good to go ...

P.S. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SET ANYTHING TO ANY PROGRAM . SIMPLY YOU NEED TO RUN PROXIFIER AND THIS SOFTWARE CAPTURES NETWORK TRAFFIC AND FORWARDS IT TO IPHONE'S SOCK5 SERVER USING THE AD-HOC CONNECTION THAT YOU CREATED!

ENJOY
    Yes this works great.. i can now open itunes... Thank you....
    So now how do i change the password for SSH?? Oh one thing yahoo messager still needs proxy setting to be set then its all good...
    by the way im on vista64 and its working great.. i just gave you a thanks
    Last edited by LaZARuZ; 09-18-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks

I bet that the old Microsoft Proxy client would probably also work to redirect traffic. I'm at the office, so I can't really try the concept now but I don't see why it wouldn't. Best of all, it's free.

oo3
    Thanks

Just to confirm, I'm using my WiFi mac address from my iPhone. Secondly, I'm not sure how to pull up the dhcpd messages on my Mac.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Go to Spotlight and Type "Console" open the program... klick "all messages"... search for dhcpd and send me the result.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to marcoxyz For This Useful Post:

oo3 (09-18-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I cant even get into settings on this program. It shows up in my toolbar, i can view "about". Nothing happens when I click settings. Anyone else having probs like this?

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Omg, that annoys me because i just bought the other one, and this ones better!
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

It says connect your pc/mac to zrelay through SOCKS5 1080, but it doesn't give a host name? What is it?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi all

The Apple bootpd service is running if you have Internet sharing switched on. The DHCP Error comes up from iPhoneModem. Pls stop internetsharing befor you connect.

Ciao Marco

Thanks

Works fine with my first gen iPhone and 10.5.5
    Too bad not all apps work with their 'typical' settings
    Last edited by marcoiac; 09-18-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i downloaded it from the webpage but it wont even open on my mac. it's in the applications folder but nothing happens when i try to open it...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by groundedsst View Post
    Ive attempted your method with no success.

The steps I've followed in an attempt to tether to my pc are as follows...

1.) created an Adhoc network called iphonemodem (not that it really matters)

2.) I then turned on this connection and connected to it on my computer as well as my phone

3.) I then fired up the software you recomended and set my port to 1080 as well as my phones ip which was this 169.254.51.59

With both of these connected
    openssh installed
    and this new modem software installed and on

I am still unable to connect

I have tried firefox, ie, google chrome, and safari as browsers and all have failed.

any thoughts on this?
    The ip address of 169.254.51.59 is a private ip address that is not route able. You need to assign your network card on your computer an ip address that is also a broadcast ip.

Here is how I have mine setup.

First create an adhoc network - you can do this all through xp or vistas network setup wizard. I named mine iPhone.

next assign your network card on computer is set to ip of 192.168.0.1 and I assigned a static ip to my phone of 192.168.0.10.

With these simple settings you will be able to connect your phone to your computer and use iphonemodem.

If you have any other questions shot me a pm.

One other thing I followed the steps that DECENEU posted on page 1 after I setup my adhoc with the above settings and I was able to open up any program that connects to the internet and they all worked perfectly including playing games online and all this had been done on a windows xp and vista machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    It says connect your pc/mac to zrelay through SOCKS5 1080, but it doesn't give a host name? What is it?
    The host name is the ip address of your iphone when connected using the adhoc network on pc or mac.
    Last edited by Avalanchenut; 09-18-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: adding more info

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is where i get stuck in the proxifier software...

[04:54] Testing Started.
    Proxy Server
    Address: 192.168.1.11:1080
    Protocol: SOCKS 5
    Authentication: NO

[04:54] Starting: Test 1: Connection to the Proxy Server
    [04:54] IP Address: 192.168.1.11
    [04:54] Connection established
    [04:54] Test passed.
    [04:54] Starting: Test 2: Connection through the Proxy Server
    [04:54] Authentication was successful.

and then it stops.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys I'm trying to use the iphonemodem program for my MacBook pro. I managed to get the program says I'm connected to Internet, but my safari does not seem to go online. Can someone please tell me where to set the proxy? And where is the 5socks?

Green Apple
    Thanks

For those of you trying to use FireFox... there're 2 ways.. you can either use the regular Proxy Settings from FireFox which sucks or get FoxyProxy which totally rocks (you can switch from using the Proxy server or not on-the-fly)

Use SOCKS5, 127.0.0.1, port 9999

That should make any software work if it's got proxy settings...

Default Testing both .com and .de
    Hi all. I've been testing the tethering solutions available for the iPhone and I would like to share my thoughts, comparing the pros and cons of the two applications now on cydia, both named iphonemodem: "iPhone Modem 1.0" from www.iphonemodem.COM and "iPhone Modem zsrelay" from www.iphonemodem.DE.

----

iphonemodem.DE - "iPhone Modem zsrelay":

Pros
    1. It's free
    2. has an helper app for the latest version of Mac OS

Cons:
    1. I (and many others iPhoneModem Comments) have concerns on the purpose and security of this app.
    On the Mac side, the 4MB app as a security scanner inside (nmap), a dhcp server and an airport configuration terminal utility. They still haven't explained the need of a security scanner which can easily pinpoint any weakness of my Mac's configuration.

On the iPhone it's still worse. The socks server is opened also on the EDGE/3G public IP making it a piece of cake to connect to your Mac (or entire LAN) from the outside. It even runs on the background so you cannot know what's happening.
    That's really great. These guys are boasting on WEP and SSH security and they're leaving a HUGE hole on the net just inviting anyone to come in.

2. What were these guys thinking when they posted the "don't use the fake app" message everywhere on the net and on their site? I don't think iphonemodem.com is fake and I certainly don't think that's a way to market a new app.

3. A normal user does not understand what to do with the iphone and with the Mac app without going through the website read readme files on written on shaky english that is difficult to understand.

----

iphonemodem.COM - "iPhone Modem 1.0":

Pros:
    1. it's extremely user friendly - really one click setup
    2. real one-to-one user support going on
    3. also supports MacOS 10.4
    4. the web site and everything is written in clear english
    5. packaged on small (90k on the iphone; 200k on the mac) app(s)
    Note: I like things small because they are more likely to be bloatware free and that what they think is good software.

Cons:
    1. it's $10 to disable the recurring 500KB traffic reminder

----
    Final thoughts

I'm happy to pay $10 for a nice easy app with user support and no suspicious malware or security holes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unixphone View Post
    Hey guys I'm trying to use the iphonemodem program for my MacBook pro. I managed to get the program says I'm connected to Internet, but my safari does not seem to go online. Can someone please tell me where to set the proxy? And where is the 5socks?
    Alright, so this is my first post here, and I just got this app running on my 2G 2.1 iPhone a few minutes ago.

After I got all the necessary details for the iPhone Modem client on my Mac, and hit the start connection button, I waited for the 'Connect iPhone to network' screen. Go turn WiFi on the iPhone and hit the little arrow next to the network which is named Apollon by default, scroll down, hit proxy, and I just typed in SOCKS5 and under port, I typed, '1080'

Go ahead and turn on the SSH server in iPhone Modem Settings, hit ok on your Mac, wait for the whole thing to finish connecting, then load up all the sites on Safari you want! I haven't tried the proxy for FireFox yet but I will in time.

And this works great on T-Mobile too!

That's running the T-Zones hack with the new apn.

Does anyone know why the Zsrelay/Netshare tick box on the Mac is greyed out?

Also, make sure OpenSSH is installed before you try this, as stated earlier in this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcoxyz View Post
    network.proxy.socks 127.0.0.1
    network.proxy.socks_port 9999
    network.proxy.socks_remote_dns true
    network.proxy.socks_version 5
    network.proxy.type 1
    Just trying to understand, why would you enter 9999 when the SOCKS port is 1080?

Quote Originally Posted by alexnick View Post

Does anyone know why the Zsrelay/Netshare tick box on the Mac is greyed out?

Also, make sure OpenSSH is installed before you try this, as stated earlier in this thread.
    If you uncheck SSH, Zsrelay/Netshare will become checkable. Maybe it's one or the other.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 09-19-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

problem solved.
    i thought it is okay to use iphone's terminal to change the password apline.
    i guess not. thanks for the input
    Last edited by unixphone; 09-19-2008 at 06:42 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Eurisko

I have a solution for you... a very simple way to get all applikations work without setup every single application... i make a big update this weekend. Stay tuned.

Thanks
    Default Solwly..
    Hello Mr. Carson,

why not just state publicly that you work for addition?
    No one on this board will force you to use our free tools.
    But please be fair and stop posting wrong statements.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    On the iPhone it's still worse. The socks server is opened also on the EDGE/3G public IP making it a piece of cake to connect to your Mac (or entire LAN) from the outside. It even runs on the background so you cannot know what's happening.
    That's really great. These guys are boasting on WEP and SSH security and they're leaving a HUGE hole on the net just inviting anyone to come in.
    The ports may be visible if you portscan your iPhone but they are neither exposed to your outbound connection nor is it possible to connect to them from the outside (didn't know eh?).
    Second - If you're still concerned I bet you didn't know zsrelay has an IP-based connection restriction mechanism which can block connections an a per IP basis.

2. What were these guys thinking when they posted the "don't use the fake app" message everywhere on the net and on their site? I don't think iphonemodem.com is fake and I certainly don't think that's a way to market a new app.
    Here's what we thought:
    Marco did pay money to protect the name iPhoneModem long before addition did come up with iphonemodem.com.
    They did not ask or notify us and in addition they are charging users for their app.

That's what we thought.

3. A normal user does not understand what to do with the iphone and with the Mac app without going through the website read readme files on written on shaky english that is difficult to understand.
    What do you think READMEs and HOWTOs where made for?
    For people who are not genious-by-nature and who don't know how this app works..
    Ok Marco's English is far from perfect - but the documentation was writen before we joined our work and I promise improvements in this section.

Final thoughts

I'm happy to pay $10 for a nice easy app with user support and no suspicious malware or security holes.
    Do you even know what malware means?
    iPhoneModem does not include any malware and zsrelay has no knows security holes.
    As a matter of fact where working on a SOCKS5 protocol extension allowing for even better security.

Cheers,
    Shirk
    ~ I rather burn my wings than never fly at all ~