+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Review: Star Wars The Force Unleashed (iPhone)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Just released on the AppStore is the highly anticipated game Star Wars The Force Unleashed. It is available for download now for $9.99 here . Experience the Star Wars universe
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default Review: Star Wars The Force Unleashed (iPhone)

Just released on the AppStore is the highly anticipated game Star Wars The Force Unleashed. It is available for download now for $9.99 here.
    Experience the Star Wars universe as never before. The devastating power of the Force is in your hands. You are Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice, trained by the menacing Sith Lord to hunt down the last of the Jedi. Unleash a barrage of Force Powers - including Grip, Lightning, Jedi Mind Trick and much more - at the flick of your fingers you tap, touch and swipe your way through enemies . . .
    The game starts out as expected with the classic Star Wars screen describing the plot.

In this game you are Darth Vader's secret apprentice with the goal of defeating the Emperor. You must operate in secret while hunting Jedi so the Emporer doesn't discover your existence. You better destroy all those you come across!

Lets get down to the game. The first level you depart aboard your ship off to kill Master Kota. While on board the ship you have a training exercise to learn how to use your force powers. One you complete the training exercise you continue and start the level. Something you learn very quickly is that the accelerometer is not used at all in this game. Game control is touch screen only.

A lot of things go on now with multiple options of force powers to use. Defensive and offensive commonly appear on the screen at the same time giving you a choice on how to fight and requiring good attention and decent reflexes in order to successfully attack and defend.

Tip: If you pause the game (the bottom left arrow on the screen) you can view your current force powers and how to use them. This is useful if you can't remember some commands that you haven't memorized (force heal and jedi mind trick are very useful).

Uh oh time to fight Master Kota. This part of the level is a bit repetitive as you cycle through a couple different views and use your available attacks to weaken down Master Kota. Stay alive and go through the motions to defeat him.

After you pass the level you gain some new force powers and do another quick training session on the ship to learn how to use your new powers. Hey we gained force push and pull!

Hey we're on the second level with the intention of defeating Shaak Ti. Look at all those enemies you need to rack up on the way.

At this point in the game you run into another repetitive series to defeat the level's boss. Here on the second level there is a bit of a twist requiring a some basic problem solving. Maybe the beast way to defeat Shaak Ti is to change up the force power you are using and borrow a little help from that plant.

After defeating Shaak Ti we continue on in our journey and gain another force power on the way!

This game is unique in what I'm going to call "big name" iPhone games (read games coming from major game companies). Where many other games rely on the accelerometer for gameplay The Force Unleashed doesn't use it all and gameplay is entirely dictated by the touch screen. The controls are easy to learn and the game is quick to pick up.

At first I was concerned that I would be drawing the same symbols on my screen over and over. Luckily that may not be the case. Some thinking is required as early as level 2 and the added force powers in every level have kept things fresh and interesting. Star Wars The Force Unleashed has the potential to stay interesting to many levels -- perhaps the entire game unlike Spore which I found painfully repetitive for 30 levels.

After the first couple of levels my initial feelings say it is worth the $9.99 price tag assuming the game advances in difficulty, challenges, and force powers as it has so far.

EDIT. 6 LEVELs??!!?! Don't buy this game I can think of a lot of better things to spend $10 on for an hour of entertainment.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

40_ounce (09-16-2008), DoerrFan (09-16-2008), ipirate (09-16-2008), Rustynuts (09-16-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jltdhome's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally a game worth my time for the iPhone. I was getting tired of waiting for an update to Toy Bot Diaries.
    Lightning from the Sky - Thunder from the Sea

Green Apple
    Thanks

thats looks great!.. a real RPG for the iphone.. i got tired of Fire Emblem and Pokemon Emerald..
    Oldschool 12" iBook G4
    Mac OS X 10.5.6
    iTunes 8.0.2
    QuickPwn 2.2.5
    2.2.1 Jailbroken 8Gig iPhone 2G - for the wifie..
    3.0 Jailbroken 16Gig iPhone 2G - my WHORE..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sick!!

just downloaded and cant wait to play at work tomorrow!
    Last edited by alantoo; 09-16-2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: dl'd cracked ver

Green Apple
    Thanks

that looks SWEET and the gfx look VERY NICE. off to buy. ->

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i second Cash. I got this pretty much right as it came out, and haven't been disappointed. I'm not a big fan of accel. games, so this is right up my alley. Force moves are pretty easy to remember, and there's a lot of variety in enemies (so far) and what force powers work. Def. worth the 10 bucks!

pry

Thanks

Thanks for the review.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Awesome news thanks for the heads up...

**Wonders over to app store to click BUY

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

wow at this rate we might just see some crazy games. i cant wait till iphone 3 to see if they step up the inerds to make even more powerfull games
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks pretty nice! Is it a totally different game from the 360/PS3/Wii versions? I got it for the 360 and it is simply AMAZINGLY awesome.... lots of people are saying the iphone version is RPG... I know the 360/Wii is more of a hack and slash... is it different on the phone?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

barrow a little help from that plant.
    A little mistake cash
    Last edited by sayam; 09-16-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Woooo!!!! will download when I get home from work today.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

not a bad game. not quite my cup of tea. most of you may like it, it is a nicely made game which plays nicely on the iphone.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Now.. why isnt this game on the PC? I guess I have to make do playing on the iPhone and Wii!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    nope no mistake, unless it isn't a plant which it is. nice try
    cash edit - d'oh got caught typing about pushcarts again

LOL...i think they were referring to your typo mistake..."barrow"

FINALLY a game worth $9.99...took long enough...they shoud have trial versions for all these games that charge a fee, especially the more expensive ones...if you buy a game that looks good and seems to get decent reviews then you play it and it's not what you expected you lost your money...no refunds...that sucks...
    Last edited by jcrod73; 09-16-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

I hope its better than Spore was. All hype and just a lame game.

It looks ok on iPhone by the screenshots. I just finished it on 360 and its short but fun. Worth playing a 2nd time but thats about it.

What's Jailbreak? Christopher3712's Avatar
    Thanks

it looks nice, but i'm gonna wait for the free version
    Unlocked & Jailbroken running T-Mobile.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3712 View Post
    it looks nice, but i'm gonna wait for the free version
    the free version is already out

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redeyez69 View Post
    the free version is already out
    Way to support software development.. STEAL IT very nice

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

anyone stuck here? i feel like i just keep hitting the thing with lightning and deflecting the blasts with no end in sight...
    Last edited by AAAARRRRRRGGGGG; 09-16-2008 at 12:55 PM.