Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneModem - Extremely Easy 3G Tethering in OS X

Hi All

On Weekend i have a Solution to get all applications on Mac working without modification. It need some more tests but it is working.

For Linux and Windows users: You can use iPhoneModem out of the Box it provides a Socks5 Proxy and together with OpenSSH you can setup a Proxychain that AT&T never see your IP-Addresses .

Yes Mac users AT&T see your Mac IP also not ...

Ciao Marco
    Last edited by marcoxyz; 09-17-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Default WTF agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    I paid through paypal and never got an email with the registration number.....WTF
    Same happened to me. Do not pay for this app untill someone can actually verify that they get a registration code.

Testing zsrelay version now. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by marcoxyz View Post
    Hi All

On Weekend i have a Solution to get all applications on Mac working without modification. It need some more tests but it is working.

For Linux and Windows users: You can use iPhoneModem out of the Box it provides a Socks5 Proxy and together with OpenSSH you can setup a Proxychain that AT&T never see your IP-Addresses .

Yes Mac users AT&T see your Mac IP also not ...

Ciao Marco
    DO tell how to do an proxychain.? i have it working but dont know how to change password and setup a proxychain.? Please explain...Thanks.

ok now it stoped working keeps timeing out also the website are like what you see if it was made for the iphone browser.. ill stay with termenal and 5proxy its easy and get me by..
    Last edited by LaZARuZ; 09-17-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shirk View Post
    Nice to get some feedback - any estimates when we will be able to see it in cydia?
    I see it in Cydia now, but I am not a Mac user :/

I guess I will continue using iPhone Tunnel Suite until something comes my way that works for windows.

CaptainChaos:
    I guess I will continue using iPhone Tunnel Suite until something comes my way that works for windows.
    zsrelay _works_ on all platforms that support a system wide socks5 - just google on how to set up ad-hoc networking.

ok now it stoped working keeps timeing out also the website are like what you see if it was made for the iphone browser.. ill stay with termenal and 5proxy its easy and get me by..
    Did you enable insomnia mode? Otherwise network connections will be disabled after some time. Regarding you page formatting issues - there's no possibility for zsrelay to modify your page content (same count's for the server sending you the page - no way to distinguish between a direct and a zsrelay connection). If it's displayed wrong it's possibly a miss-configuration on your mac.

Could you file me a email with the steps you took to tether your phone?

Cheers,
    Shirk
    ~ I rather burn my wings than never fly at all ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shirk For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (09-17-2008)

Thanks

being an AT&T customer, I had no reason to jailbreak, untill now!
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shirk View Post
    CaptainChaos:

zsrelay _works_ on all platforms that support a system wide socks5 - just google on how to set up ad-hoc networking.

Did you enable insomnia mode? Otherwise network connections will be disabled after some time. Regarding you page formatting issues - there's no possibility for zsrelay to modify your page content (same count's for the server sending you the page - no way to distinguish between a direct and a zsrelay connection). If it's displayed wrong it's possibly a miss-configuration on your mac.

Could you file me a email with the steps you took to tether your phone?

Cheers,
    Shirk
    Thank you for elaborating.

This stuff is over my head so unless someone creates a How To for windows users I am stuck. I set up the ad-hoc, but the computer sits there trying to connect to it forever. I will have to do some more brain scratching.

Tomorrow i am on a Windows PC and i will provide you screenshots...

Ciao Marco

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marcoxyz For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (09-17-2008)

Thanks

Ciao Marco
    Thank you. It will be very much appreciated

Ciao Marco
    +1.. We windows users would greatly appreciate it a step by step how to do this

Well I'm on a pc running vista64 all I did was make an ad-hoc and connect to it from my phone and run the app. Like I said the sites don't look right but when I just use termenal and 3proxy everything looks right.

I downloaded it, paid, got a serial, and it works fine for browsing. Anyone know how to make it work with iTunes & the messengers? Also, I seem to not be able to make it work in virtual PC (usually, I can piggyback off the airport connection using shared networking, but while using this, it doesn't see the connection) Anyone have any suggestions (I tried setting the proxy in messenger, that didn't work, and iTunes doesn't seem to have a proxy setting)

@miriv365 So you paid for it drop this guys a message with your questions or donate us... I never se one of these guys in one forum to answer questions, We make us the work but nobody is donating us for our work... And they stole our Name sins 20 pages of google was saying that we are iPhoneModem. I hate those Suckers.

@all pls. donate shirk and me for all our work or klick the ads... that will help us to keep up the good work...

Ciao Marco

Default Testing both .com and .de
    Hi all. I've been testing the tethering solutions available for the iPhone and I would like to share my thoughts, comparing the pros and cons of the two applications now on cydia, both named iphonemodem: "iPhone Modem 1.0" from www.iphonemodem.COM and "iPhone Modem zsrelay" from www.iphonemodem.DE.

----

iphonemodem.DE - "iPhone Modem zsrelay":

Pros
    1. It's free
    2. has an helper app for the latest version of Mac OS

Cons:
    1. I (and many others iPhoneModem Comments) have concerns on the purpose and security of this app.
    On the Mac side, the 4MB app as a security scanner inside (nmap), a dhcp server and an airport configuration terminal utility. They still haven't explained the need of a security scanner which can easily pinpoint any weakness of my Mac's configuration.

On the iPhone it's still worse. The socks server is opened also on the EDGE/3G public IP making it a piece of cake to connect to your Mac (or entire LAN) from the outside. It even runs on the background so you cannot know what's happening.
    That's really great. These guys are boasting on WEP and SSH security and they're leaving a HUGE hole on the net just inviting anyone to come in.

2. What were these guys thinking when they posted the "don't use the fake app" message everywhere on the net and on their site? I don't think iphonemodem.com is fake and I certainly don't think that's a way to market a new app.

3. A normal user does not understand what to do with the iphone and with the Mac app without going through the website read readme files on written on shaky english that is difficult to understand.

----

iphonemodem.COM - "iPhone Modem 1.0":

Pros:
    1. it's extremely user friendly - really one click setup
    2. real one-to-one user support going on
    3. also supports MacOS 10.4
    4. the web site and everything is written in clear english
    5. packaged on small (90k on the iphone; 200k on the mac) app(s)
    Note: I like things small because they are more likely to be bloatware free and that what they think is good software.

Cons:
    1. it's $10 to disable the recurring 500KB traffic reminder

----
    Final thoughts

I'm happy to pay $10 for a nice easy app with user support and no suspicious malware or security holes.

Hey if it works. Great!

WoW an Expert!!!!!

Hey man whats your problem with nmap? It is the best portscanner ever build. And what is your problem with the open source tool airport. If you don't understand whats going on thats ok... tell me a question i will try to help you with my bad english . But please stop to talking such a FUD.

nmap never can pinpoint any weakness your Mac, its a scanner. nc (Netcat available on all Macs) can do... i better use for you next time nc if it makes you happy.

and here the nmap scan of my connected iPhone to the Internet:

21/tcp filtered ftp
    22/tcp filtered ssh
    23/tcp filtered telnet
    25/tcp filtered smtp
    53/tcp filtered domain
    80/tcp filtered http
    113/tcp filtered auth
    248/tcp filtered bhfhs
    256/tcp filtered FW1-secureremote
    389/tcp filtered ldap
    443/tcp filtered https
    465/tcp filtered smtps
    554/tcp filtered rtsp
    636/tcp filtered ldapssl
    1723/tcp filtered pptp
    3389/tcp filtered ms-term-serv
    5011/tcp filtered telelpathattack
    6142/tcp filtered aspentec-lm
    6148/tcp filtered ricardo-lm
    6544/tcp filtered mythtv

Hmmm... looks like a FW of my Provider... T-Mobile. Completly not one open port. Thats what i call FUD.

Every Body can test it self with:

Installing Mobile Terminal from Cydia. Put in ifconfig and get the external IP (open before mobile Safari). and then make a Portscan with the nice tool nmap:

namp -P0 ExternalIP use it simply from my application is in the package .

I hope your english is better then your technical understanding, perhaps you have some ideas to make the website better ...

And for all think about that: I hope you dont have also installed OpenSSH with this FAKE APP... Your WLAN is open for every one. The default passwords are alpine for root and dottie for mobile... everybody can simply going in your Ad-Hoc Network use your EDGE/3G connection for what ever, and can make a simple rm -R * in the root directory... Your traffic can easily scanned by every PacketAnalyser like CocoaPacketAnalyzer Password and accounts are wide open with that. Here a screenshot:

With the real iPhonemodem it is not possible if you use the OpenSSH Socks Proxy all traffic is encrypted also when somebody hack your WEP encryption.

And so: Don't be victims Be smart

Ciao Marco

An Ineresting thing:

WARNING:

Before you start iPhoneModem 1.0 on your iPhone you have following services running:
    Use Mobile Terminal for that or a Terminal with ssh :

netstat -a:

tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.42.ssh 192.168.1.34.54173 ESTABLISHED
    tcp4 0 0 169.254.181.158.ssh 169.254.226.221.50543 ESTABLISHED
    tcp4 0 0 *.ssh *.* LISTEN
    tcp4 0 0 *.62078 *.* LISTEN
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.50729 *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 127.0.0.1.30000 *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*

This are the services and connections established when iPhoneModem 1.0 is started:

netstat -a:

tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.42.socks *.* LISTEN
    tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.42.freeciv *.* LISTEN
    tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.42.personal- *.* LISTEN
    tcp4 0 0 172.23.17.198.54762 89.247.131.148.https ESTABLISHED
    tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.42.ssh 192.168.1.34.54173 ESTABLISHED
    tcp4 0 0 169.254.181.158.ssh 169.254.226.221.50543 ESTABLISHED
    tcp4 0 0 *.ssh *.* LISTEN
    tcp4 0 0 *.62078 *.* LISTEN
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.50729 *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 127.0.0.1.30000 *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
    udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*

WoW WoW WoW: For what is the open 5555/tcp freeciv port. A Multiplayer game?????
    And for what open port 5556/Tcp????

What says me that: Internet Storm Center says that makes the [trojan] BO Facil and [trojan] ServeMe happy

Port Details - Port 5555

Port Details - Port 5556

That friends is realy incredible. nmap shows that these ports are open. iPhoneModem 1.0 crashes on port scan on these Ports. Why? To hide these ports from user? Be warned.

Ciao Marco
    Last edited by marcoxyz; 09-20-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

this app sounds great, but I'm also having trouble with setup in XP. I've created the ad-hoc network, and I can connect to it with my iPhone but the data still won't work (the actual tethering). I'm guessing it has to do with the settings for the ad-hoc connection. Any help would be appreciated.

Edgar J.

Make shure that the iPhone IP and the PC IP in the same network... better you give both an static IP. Open the cmd.exe and try a "ping" on iPhone IP to check it is reachable.

Ciao Marco

Default Slowly
    Hello Mr. Carson,

why not just state publicly that you work for addition?
    No one on this board will force you to use our free tools.
    But please be fair and stop posting wrong statements.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    On the iPhone it's still worse. The socks server is opened also on the EDGE/3G public IP making it a piece of cake to connect to your Mac (or entire LAN) from the outside. It even runs on the background so you cannot know what's happening.
    That's really great. These guys are boasting on WEP and SSH security and they're leaving a HUGE hole on the net just inviting anyone to come in.
    The ports may be visible if you portscan your iPhone but they are neither exposed to your outbound connection nor is it possible to connect to them from the outside (didn't know eh?).
    Second - If you're still concerned I bet you didn't know zsrelay has an IP-based connection restriction mechanism which can block connections an a per IP basis.

2. What were these guys thinking when they posted the "don't use the fake app" message everywhere on the net and on their site? I don't think iphonemodem.com is fake and I certainly don't think that's a way to market a new app.
    Here's what we thought:
    Marco did pay money to protect the name iPhoneModem long before addition did come up with iphonemodem.com.
    They did not ask or notify us and in addition they are charging users for their app.

That's what we thought.

3. A normal user does not understand what to do with the iphone and with the Mac app without going through the website read readme files on written on shaky english that is difficult to understand.
    What do you think READMEs and HOWTOs where made for?
    For people who are not genious-by-nature and who don't know how this app works..
    Ok Marco's English is far from perfect - but the documentation was writen before we joined our work and I promise improvements in this section.

Final thoughts

I'm happy to pay $10 for a nice easy app with user support and no suspicious malware or security holes.
    Do you even know what malware means?
    iPhoneModem does not include any malware and zsrelay has no knows security holes.
    As a matter of fact where working on a SOCKS5 protocol extension allowing for even better security.

Cheers,
    Shirk
    ~ I rather burn my wings than never fly at all ~

Thanks

nice...have for window?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast