+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneModem - Extremely Easy 3G Tethering in OS X

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Does it work on regular iPhone ( not the 3G) ?
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does it work on regular iPhone ( not the 3G) ?
    Last edited by axxllAxxll; 09-14-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So AT&T has specifically stated that this isn;t allowed. My question is, can they detect it? Or is it just going to show up as bandwidth to them. I am thinking the answer is the latter, but I would rather not find out with a $500 bill.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm trying to install iphonemodem on my jailbroken 2.1 3g phone, but I keep getting a "Source Error: NetDB: apt.modmyi.com nodename nor servname provided, or not known."

Is this to do with the domain name change here?

Update: the source needed upgrading. Problem solved!
    Last edited by amblongus; 09-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i would love to see an more detailed guide for us windows users!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ungltxx View Post
    hbelkins, try quickpwn. It's the just about the same thing as ZiPhone... maybe even easier...
    QuickPwn worked like a charm, thanks!

I'll try iPhone modem out tomorrow when I am trying to get online away from home. But unfortunately I see no SOCKS proxy options for Yahoo messenger and Eudora, two apps I use frequently. :-(

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds awesome...can't wait to check it out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Send all my stuff to mmi to get it in mmi repository as iPhoneModem... On iPhoneModem, Internet for Mac und iPhone is now the Version 1.6. Dont forget to save the Settings again. I also working on a solution zo get all applications to work with port redirection. Stay tuned i think i have a solution this Week.

Ciao Marco

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So AT&T has specifically stated that this isn;t allowed. My question is, can they detect it? Or is it just going to show up as bandwidth to them. I am thinking the answer is the latter, but I would rather not find out with a $500 bill.
    Well, it's not going to show up saying "TETHERED DATA USAGE: xxxxKB" but you do have to be intelligent about it. There is only so much you can legitimately download over a small period of time on a mobile device which isn't supposed to allow direct file downloading. I have no idea what the limit is before ATT can legally decide that you are violating your contract by tethering, but I do know that they can charge you for the full price of all of the data usage, with additional fees, as well as immediate termination of your contract. That is, if they catch you.

Anyways, this is why it says in the original post to be smart - don't be torrenting the first season of Heroes over this connection. Just for that emergency situation where there's no wifi for your laptop and you need to connect (or you're just hella bored in the middle of class, lol). Or when your ISP is down for a day or two and you really need to check your email and read the latest MMi update
    Last edited by WillyDavidK; 09-15-2008 at 01:45 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

can you use itunes with this.. i been doing tethering the old way but cant get itunes to connect to the internet will this fix that or is there no way to get itunes to connect with socks proxy.?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Well, it's not going to show up saying "TETHERED DATA USAGE: xxxxKB" but you do have to be intelligent about it. There is only so much you can legitimately download over a small period of time on a mobile device which isn't supposed to allow direct file downloading. I have no idea what the limit is before ATT can legally decide that you are violating your contract by tethering, but I do know that they can charge you for the full price of all of the data usage, with additional fees, as well as immediate termination of your contract. That is, if they catch you.

Anyways, this is why it says in the original post to be smart - don't be torrenting the first season of Heroes over this connection. Just for that emergency situation where there's no wifi for your laptop and you need to connect (or you're just hella bored in the middle of class, lol). Or when your ISP is down for a day or two and you really need to check your email and read the latest MMi update
    The limit for "unlimited" is 5GB for a month but that doesn't mean that AT&T won't investigate if you've actually download 1GB within 5 hours. I've been an AT&T data plan customer since 2005 and have been using tethering with a number of phones since then. AT&T hasn't raised a red flag yet but then again, I don't think I've gone over 5GB. The most that I've downloaded on a single go was about 700mb via usenet when I was out of town.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    is there a right up to hook this up to windows?
    Bought the Iphone 3g on Friday jailbroke it on Monday!!!

Black IPhone 3g Jailbroken.

Thanks

Default Wtf
    I paid through paypal and never got an email with the registration number.....WTF

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I cant belive that, this tool have 6 line of code one for the Airport Tool from apple (in lack of the possibility to make a WEP connection) 4 for the Network setup and one for the Bounjour discovery... My first script was doing the same... Donate People like me before get your money spend for lamers. We work for the Community for free.

Stay tuned iPhoneModem is in mmi tonight... thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcoxyz View Post
    I cant belive that, this tool have 6 line of code one for the Airport Tool from apple (in lack of the possibility to make a WEP connection) 4 for the Network setup and one for the Bounjour discovery... My first script was doing the same... Donate People like me before get your money spend for lamers. We work for the Community for free.

Stay tuned iPhoneModem is in mmi tonight... thanks
    Okay, someone needs to help you with your english... are you saying you are going to release a similar app for free? If so please tell me you are not going to name it iPhoneModem.
    White 3G

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,778 Times in 1,213 Posts

I think the issue is he already /had/ named it iPhoneModem.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Gotcha!
    White 3G

Thanks
    Angry == To clear things up ==
    Hi,
    since this whole thread seems to cause a lot of confusion to all of us - here are the key facts:
    1. there is a free app called iPhoneModem.
      It is maitained by Markoxyz and it existed under this name
      long before the paid version appeared.
      You can download it from iPhoneModem, Internet für Mac und iPhone
    2. The paid iPhoneModem has many design flaws:
      • It uses unencrypted ad-hoc networks
      • Your tether can be discovered and used by any mac user
        smart enough to hook into your open wlan net
      • It doesn't background when run on your iPhone
    So PLEASE DON'T BUY IT!
    Wait for the free iPhoneModem to appear on the MMi repository. It uses zsrelay as it's background daemon. This allows you to run a tether and use your iPhone for your all day tasks.
    It even has integrated network keep alive (similar to insomnia). So in case you don't want to use your phone while tethering you can at least lock it.

While I'm at this - zsrelay is looking for volunteers to test out future releases and betas.
    If you're interested just send me an email or drop a PM.

P.S. Did I mention it is cross-fw e.g. works on 1.1.x AND 2.X?
    Cheers,
    Shirk
    ~ I rather burn my wings than never fly at all ~

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,778 Times in 1,213 Posts

Currently posting from the zsrelay version of iPhoneModem now. Works great...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks
    Nice to get some feedback - any estimates when we will be able to see it in cydia?
    ~ I rather burn my wings than never fly at all ~

Green Apple
    Thanks

sweet. got to check this out