Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 17 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Firmware 2.1 - Grab it While It's Hot

Quote Originally Posted by FTBoomer View Post
    Well then how does one turn it on because it doen't work for me.
    You need to add the lyrics to your mp3's. I suggest using something like iLyrics to help you with this:

ilyrics - Google Code

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

laz305 (09-12-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gorduxo View Post
    great! no i have an unlocked but UNACTIVATED 1st gen iphone! yes i did update, not restore!

anyone? help?

`!!!`!гргргрг (i think yall know what i mean)
    Everyone in this thread that successfully did an upgrade to 2.1 on their 2G phone and retained your unlock/activation please confirm or deny.

Wondering how the "genius" playlist feature works with music that isn't purchased form itunes. For instance at least half of my music collection is live music that I either recorded myself or got from someone who did. I do have it all tagged and what not so wondering how it treats those songs. Or how about all my CDs that I ripped into itunes?

One other thing I noticed when updating to itunes 8 with regard to album artwork. I had artwork for ALL of the albums in itunes before version 8 and after upgrading I lost a bunch of artwork and itunes doesn't find it when I click on get album artwork. Guess I'll need to go get it manually again.

Edit: I guess this should go in the itunes 8 thread, sorry.
    Last edited by oscar25; 09-12-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

I googled the feature and it seems you have to add the lyrics to your songs in iTunes and when you sync the iphone it downloads the lyrics and plays them with the song. here is a guide on how to do it
    How to - Getting song lyrics on the iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by FTBoomer View Post
    Well then how does one turn it on because it doen't work for me.

well...you guessed: DIDN'T WORK HERE! At least i can still receive calls...

Wait on the devs you guys dont update

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Everyone in this thread that successfully did an upgrade to 2.1 on their 2G phone and retained your unlock/activation please confirm or deny.
    A few people are having trouble updating while others are successful but not jail broken, im tempted, but im waiting on the devs
    Last edited by thebug3000; 09-12-2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    This has been a feature since 2.0.0
    It was supported since 1.1.4

iPhone 3GS with w/AT&T
    Technician
    Smart Cellphone Repair
    www.ifixsmartphone.com
    Ask me all your hardware problem!

Default Jailbroken Upgrade
    Hi had 2G iPhone 2.0 firmware jailbroken and unlocked with devteam pwnage tool and did "Update" to 2.1 with iTunes 8 on a PC:

iPhone works fine on 2.1, still unlocked. Except I have lost Cydia and 3rd party apps. I will plan on putting Cydia back as soon as the new tool is ready from devteam.

I am happy to report that the lag is greatly reduced (For now...Hopefully it will last). It used to take me like 4 seconds to go to SMS or settings.

Quote Originally Posted by iphnct View Post
    Hi had 2G iPhone 2.0 firmware jailbroken and unlocked with devteam pwnage tool and did "Update" to 2.1 with iTunes 8 on a PC:

iPhone works fine on 2.1, still unlocked. Except I have lost Cydia and 3rd party apps. I will plan on putting Cydia back as soon as the new tool is ready from devteam.

I am happy to report that the lag is greatly reduced (For now...Hopefully it will last). It used to take me like 4 seconds to go to SMS or settings.
    Sounds great that you have lost the lag !!! so just updated yeah ? hmm i may try it or wait and see what more people have to say. Although its not my phone so i dont want to ruin it for my mate.

Quote Originally Posted by todesto View Post
    It was supported since 1.1.4
    2.0.0, 1.1.4, who's keeping track, anyways? :P

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

uhmmmm i have the spinning wheel and the phone wont enter dfu mode what do i do?

Any words from the devs yet? I'll upgrade my iphone to 2.1 if devs can jailbreak it soon. I can live without Cydia and Installer for a couple of days or a week or 2.

Question: While upgrading via itunes, if i somehow lose my internet connection, will I face any problems?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a 2g 8gig 2.0.2. quickpwnd jailbroke, unlocked and activated on T-Mobile.
    Downloaded firmware 2.1 - 20 mins.
    I didn't put my iphone in DFU mode, I left it in the lock screen.
    clicked 'Update'
    iPhone Backup - 9:19am-9:34am
    Updated firmware and restarted itself.
    Lost cydia and related apps.
    Kept ipod videos, camera roll pictures, photo library pictures, contacts, sms messages, calendar entries, EDGE settings, mail settings, maps bookmarks, youtube still works, every stock app settings stayed.
    Everything works well.

Edit Poseidon: Thank you
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 09-12-2008 at 11:19 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony_Z For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-12-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Z View Post
    I have a 2g 8gig 2.0.2. quickpwnd jailbroke, unlocked and activated on T-Mobile.
    clicked 'Update'
    Kept ipod videos, camera roll pictures, photo library pictures, contacts, sms messages, calendar entries, EDGE settings, mail settings, maps bookmarks, youtube still works, every stock app settings stayed.
    Everything works well.
    That's reassuring-same as me, except i have a 16gb.

clicked 'Update'
    Everything works well.
    im guessing i gonna loose my cycorder videos right???
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is what I have after several hours of putting the phone through the test on 2.1.

First I tested on a 2G Unlocked/JB w/quickpwn 2.0.2

I upgraded through iTunes. I did not select restore because I wnted to see if I could keep some of the aps from cydia.

When I was done I sync'ed the phone and restored my backup. everything restored except:

Installer/Cydia---and the software I had installed from both repo's...
    (Bummer) But I knew this was going to happen prior.

Test #1

absolutley zero increase with the cell reception. Well at least none to get excited about....

2.0.1 signal test docking station
    Off docking station was -88
    I am not sure but I believe the docking station works as a small booster...

2.1 On the docking station:
    off the docking station was -85

A small increase but none worth measuring in my book. I wasnt to suprised because I believe the fix was just a soft fix for the 3g hardware chip.

NEXT TEST--- BATTERY LIFE

I love my iPhone but at the end of the day...its my phone and the #1 use...

--With the phone in call @ -95db (FULL BAR -100db is the best reception). It ran for 6hrs and 2 min... I did this test in 45 min intervals... No reaso except I did not want to run the battery that hot for 6 cont... hrs....

With 2.0.1 and 1.1.4 I had the incall time at 5hrs and 57 min.

During the incall test the bluetooth/wifi were off!

for the drop call test... I did not do... its a 2G and I never had the issue before... But I can say that 2.1 doesnt either...

The software...hmmmmm welllll

Ok not much I was hoping for a2dp support for the bluetooth.... oh well perhaps with a hack... anyone anyone? :-)

The "Genius" playlist and sound effects etc...

GREAT pretty kewl but...this option is not essential nor will most people use this after a few times messing with it....

Overall if you have a 3g with all the mad problems then...UPGRADE NOW... My friends phone is now up to the same standards as my 2g.. Only mine is metal and runs cooler... (did I mention mine is better? lmao love the 2g)

IF YOU OWN A 2G... This is a great update BUT....Ugrade AFTER the PWNAGE is available... Not worth losing your custom apps such as iCommander and Winterboard.

Take all this with as strickly my preferance but bottom line my recommendation comes from..

Phone 1st
    the rest second

With that said 2g on 2.0.2 is working perfect...(for me) so second takes priority with my decision.... Winterboard ;-)

However, If your iPhone is suffering then upgrade..(NOT RESTORE YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR ACTIVATION)

I am back on 2.0.2 with all my custom needs..

DFU - RESTORE to pwn 2.0.2 then synced with my profile from yesterday and all was back...

--MMI have a great weekend! headed to the Alps for a little fun..;-) Yet another thing the iPhone cant do..lol

D-OUT

No no really... Thank you I insist....

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

.:MirrorminD:. (09-12-2008), adrian1480 (09-12-2008), mbaharvard (09-12-2008), sgt sm00th (09-12-2008)

clicked 'Update'
    Everything works well.

Sounds as if apple have decided to leave the old 2G iphone alone, and focus more on the 3G one, unless............. the havent updated the modem firmware? hmmmm questionable.

ok before i make any attempts... i own a iphone 3g now... 2.0.2 jailbroken (legit contract with o2-uk so not fussed about the unlock..)..

Am i supposed to hit the "Update" button OR do i manually "Restore" the firmware which i have downloaded already? lol surely it doesn't matter either way as im going to loose the 3rd party apps & jailbreak hack on my iphone..

Oh and is it possible to backup all installer repo sources iv manually inserted..? if so .. how???

and is it possible to backup all applications or a list of applications iv downloaded with installer.app and cydia.app?

Just so it makes life a lot easier in near future in getting the same apps back on the phone...

cheers!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilkcards View Post
    I just noticed SONG LYRICS pop up on the screen. This was unexpected!

actually this been out since 1.1.3

My 2.0.1 phone shows lyrics if I single tap the screen. I use GimmieSomeTune to automatically find lyrics and artwork.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 17 ... LastLast