+ Reply
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Firmware 2.1 - Grab it While It's Hot

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Anyone having problems with reception going to squat? I just upgraded to 2.1 with pwnage tool. My buddy dropped the phone but it was about 2 feet and didn't even
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone having problems with reception going to squat? I just upgraded to 2.1 with pwnage tool. My buddy dropped the phone but it was about 2 feet and didn't even scratch it. I'm hoping its just the 2.1 software. If it doesnt improve I guess I'll roll back to 2.0.2. Anyone else with this kind of issue?

Thanks All!!

Went back to factory 2.1 and the bars are back..Guess I'll have to try again...
    thanks!

Dang it. Used the pwnagetool and it did the same thing again. Guess I'll download a different base image. Doh!

WOW I am one big dumb animal!!! I forgot to uncheck the "activate" selection... Now I have service...

But an interesting thing happened after that. I brought up the phone and selected restore from backup on itunes and the phone would start restoring from backup and then would restart and would come up to a pineapple(with a spinning hourglass on top of it) and just sit there and vibrate every 15 seconds. It was hosed. I tried this several times(6 gruelling times) and finally I got the bright idea to install as many of the apps and themes that I had had installed at the time of the backup. VOILA!! That did it.
    Weird but it worked. Thank God!!!

Last edited by frobroj; 09-14-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

aw crap, I Don't know whats wrong, but after installing any app that requires me to restart the Springboard wiht Cydia the Phone crashes and after a force restart its stuck at loading screen (ussually apple logo now my own custom one)

I've So far Isolated the problem to the Installation of any app that requires Cydia to restart the springboard, but stil, no good.

ok, just finished another try and it crashes If I uninstall also...

iPhone? More like MyPhone thebug3000's Avatar
    Thanks

you guys won't believe what the hell i just been through

I just tried jailbreaking at the link below

iPhone News & Review Blog Archive 2.1 2g and 3g Jailbreak

Now after everything right at the end i mistakenly removed my mobileinstallation folder and my phone couldn't boot i tried installing the custom patch and it wasn't doing nada, so i then removed the custom patch and used my girlfriends phone copied the mobileinstallion folder from her 2g 2.0.2 phone, i am using a 2g phone btw, and to my surprise, it work, i am now using a unlocked, activated, jailbroken 2.1 phone

strange but true
    cydia is working fine, installer is working, winter board is running smooth, cycorder is running nicely

sweet, thats all i gotta say for now,

P.S. this has to be the weirdest update ive ever done
    Last edited by thebug3000; 09-13-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just upgraded a clean 3G running 2.02, never JB, to 2.1... Which took all night, to get the infamous no music/spacetaken anyway bug... Hurrah... I guess I'll have to restore and upgrade again? Reception seems slower than before the upgrade, despite the new 3G logo LOL , and where is that 3 buzz mail notice option???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What happened to the turn by turn navigation?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey folks, I'm having a little issue with this new FW update from Apple. Although it fixes a lot of bugs and issue, I guess it created a new one... my Bluetooth isn't working. It's not picking up my jawbone earpiece that i've been using for months. If anyone else out there is having the same issue and have found a way to fix it, please let me know, this is aggrevating. Thank You.

iPhone? More like MyPhone thebug3000's Avatar
    Thanks

Update

I again tried the patch mobileinstallation file on my phone using diskaid, reason: my installer crashes whenever i try to install an app

I didnt remove the entire folder this time, [plus i backed up] i removed the file placed the patched file, rebooted the phone and it did'nt work, i got the apple logo and the cart wheel of death, i placed back the mobileinstalation file from my GF's phone [she is running 2g 2.0.2 jailbrokeen unlocked and activated] and it worked like a charm,

just putting this out there, cause the patch didnt work for me, but cydia works fine and everything else

anyone trying to jailbreak, make sure to back up your mobile installation folder before trying any patches, cause that file might be you fail safe

good luck fellas
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

Green Apple
    Thanks

so far i likes. much quicker. i have had a few crashes while running apps and games but maybe will get better.

this is finally an upgrade worth making. what 2.0 should have been in the first place

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

can someone with a mac post a JB'd and PWN'd FW image? it would be much appreciated as I just ebayed my macbook in anticipation of the new ones in october. i'm feeling a little cutoff as I have no mac and a stock 2.1 iphone
    Gracias in advance
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

2.1.. Sounds interesting..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Mine won't restore!!

Keep getting error messages...help?

Help.....anyone?

anyone?
    Last edited by jamesgrenard; 09-14-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgrenard View Post
    Mine won't restore!!

Keep getting error messages...help?

Help.....anyone?

anyone?
    restart pc and iphone, then kill the Ituneshelper process and then try to restore

Thanks

This questions was asked like 10 pages ago... but i don't see an answer yet...

The Firmware 2.1 states that it now has the ability to repeat alerts for text/voicemail messages. This doesn't seem to be working on its own, and i cannot find an option to enable this feature.... Does it really exist, or did they screw up and leave it out of this update?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aayman_farzand View Post
    restart pc and iphone, then kill the Ituneshelper process and then try to restore
    I ended up getting past the error messages after a good 100 tries of restoring..now I'm just stuck at the apple main screen with it vibrating every few seconds and a spinning wheel

Green Apple
    Thanks

2 days after upgrading to 2.1 on a non-JB 3G:
    -back up takes 3-4min!!!
    -backup+restore 10min flat
    -installing apps on the go is FAST too
    -keyboard ain't lagging anymore although haven't tried with multiple languages yet.
    -no more lag upon opening Contacts.
    -formerly great 3g coverage in Tokyo is now suspicious, but that might come from the carrier settings update.
    -I don't like iTunes 8...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgrenard View Post
    I ended up getting past the error messages after a good 100 tries of restoring..now I'm just stuck at the apple main screen with it vibrating every few seconds and a spinning wheel
    huh? thats weird. I guess the only things you can try now are, put the iphone in DFU mode, then try the restore again or, use a USB port, PC, or user account.

I went through hell yesterday trying to get cfw on my iphone. I faced the same problems as you and the Shift-Restore trick was not working. Eventually I was trying something totally new, but before I could finish that, Shift-Restore worked and I somehow installed cfw on my iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    for all of you with 3Gs

I'd like to report another successful update from pwned 2.0.2 to pwned 2.1

Simple, easy, done...

-no more text delay,

-(not noticing quicker app launches) although never really had a problem in the first place.

-3 bars of G in my office when I had ZERO yesterday

- new 3G and E icons are cute and adorable

- my MIM hacks Carrier logo, and banner name stayed (interesting)

-Boss Preffs numerical battery also stayed.. (also interesting)

- as expected lost all cydia and installer, installed apps but thanks to my newfound 3 bars of 3G reception in my office, I can reinstall everything withought having to do it at home :-)

anyone noticing not a lot of themes arent working with winterboard?

snapture crashes too :-(
    Last edited by ahreckon; 09-15-2008 at 02:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

fyi for my sms app it still lags to load. and i still see some lag in contacts loading, faster, but still slow.

another thing i noticed as a change i dont know if its itunes or the 2.1 but now the bar at the bottom when you sync now shows the size taked by apps. then color is green

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ahreckon View Post
    for all of you with 3Gs

anyone noticing not a lot of themes arent working with winterboard?

snapture crashes too :-(
    I believe the former is fixed (last night by Saurik) but - YES - Snapture is dead right now!

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
    what was all this about intelliscreen and updating to 2.1?

i have/had intelliscreen on 2.02 and currently updating.. but someone wrote i would see the circle of death if it was installed during update..

someone fill me in please..

also, do i HAVE to be JB to use intelliscreen?
    I doubt that would happen (no Circle of Death - Maybe the SWOD, but if installing anything gives me the COD, I'm outta here)! But, YES, you have to be JB'ed to use Intelliscreen and Intelliscreen needs to be updated along with Snapture to work with 2.1. I get Intelliscreen to start at boot-up, but after a lock action, it is no longer displaying the screens. Snapture just plain crashes.
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 09-16-2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm running 1.1.4 jailbroken with all the nice aps. I understand I lose all the aps if I upgrade.

Is there a way to put at least my ringtones and sms tones back in the phone without buying it fom itunes?