Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Firmware 2.1 - Grab it While It's Hot

I believe a lot of users are confusing people by not providing clear enough details about what they are experiencing, so I'll start by saying I have a first-generation iPhone 8GB on 2.0.2 that I pwn'd using WinPwn 2.5 on Windows Vista, so it is unlocked, activated and jailbroken.

I have just upgraded to iTunes 8 and I have now started to update this phone through iTunes 8 to firmware 2.1. Of course I can expect it to become un-jailbroken, but I'm really not phased about that. I must note that I shift-clicked Update, (NOT Restore) and I used the 2.1 firmware I previously downloaded the other day, though I'm sure it works just the same if you download the firmware through iTunes from the iTunes server.

OK, update complete, the phone is restarting itself (shame I lost my boot logos too, but never mind!). All done.

I can confirm that I am still unlocked, still activated, and running 2.1! Contact loading and what was left of keyboard lag has been obliterated as far as I can see. Apps are loading a LOT faster, most noticably the Hold 'Em app. Genius is brilliant, and I'm not naive, of course Apple just want you to buy the recommended music, but that's why we have torrents, right fellas?

All in all, absolutely no problems here!

Have fun!

restore to previous version

to update my experiences with this whole new iTunes 8 and fw2.1

iTunes 8 HATES my HP.. whenever my HP was plugged in when I plugged in my phone it would BSOD. keeping my HP unplugged until needed so far is the only workaround.

because of my own rush to install the shiny new 2.1 I forgot to unhide all my games and camera (used snapture) and they ended up in.. well, Purgatory for all eternity for all I knew. so I decided to try the Jailbreak thats over on Sleepers. went smoothly, definitely not a quick process.

couple notes for anyone doing this method. Categories, Docks, BossBref's dock area,...basically ANYTHING that launches programs outside of Springboard itself won't work, just klicks you back to Springboard. Categories and BossPref's has been updating to fix this. Docks and anything else STILL doesn't work, in fact, Docks was removed from Cydia, so... waiting for that update... cause I liked me some "Docks"

oh, and thanx for the QUICK jailbreak, a wait of a couple days.

I'm surprised at how many people are reporting "my reception is improved" and not really looking at the facts!

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
    Upon seeing this, I decided to try something out. I updated my 3g to 2.1 and left my fiancee's on 2.0.2... Put them both into field test mode and compare the dB signal strength.

Both matched, ranging between -97 -> -101.

Switched back to the "bars" display, mine says 5 bars, hers says 2-3.

Apple is pulling the wool over so many customers' eyes, and it's going to work too, placebo effect... I've already had a couple of dropped calls yesterday after upgrading and also a few failed calls when trying to call out)... I've also watched my phone go to 4 bars on 3g and then switch to EDGE, that's cause the 4 bars is about -108 dB with the new "accuracy calibration".

Well done, Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by questioncom View Post
    hmm they released different firmwares for the 2g and 3g?
    .....since day one LAWLS

i updated a spare iphone 2.0.2 pwnd to 2.1 via itunes, unlock is still active but the mail passwords don't save.

saw this too (look at attachment)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-7.png  

iPhone? More like MyPhone lostwhiteboyy's Avatar
    Thanks

On the dev teams blog there's a good right up about fake quickpwns that steal there work and then ask for money! Any how they also said we should see something good or fun today!

Quote Originally Posted by lostwhiteboyy View Post
    On the dev teams blog there's a good right up about fake quickpwns that steal there work and then ask for money! Any how they also said we should see something good or fun today!
    Could you provide a link to their blog? Everyone seems to like 2.1 so I'm itching to upgrade, I just don't want to lose Winterboard. I love my Vista ultiamte theme

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Jailbreak iPhone 2.1 | QuickPWN

Iv just jailbroken my 2.1 and winterboard is working just fine

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php

Rustynuys I can't quote cause I'm on the phone but how do u jailbreak 2.1?? I'm using a 2g iPhone 8gigs thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Jailbreak iPhone 2.1 | QuickPWN

Iv just jailbroken my 2.1 and winterboard is working just fine
    Rustynuts,

Can you do me a favor and see if the following work on 2.1

bitesms
    bossprefs
    cycorder
    winterboard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hatton920 View Post
    Rustynuts,

Can you do me a favor and see if the following work on 2.1

bitesms
    bossprefs
    cycorder
    winterboard

Thanks
    Hey Hatton,

Everything for 2.0 firmware works. I am using bossprefs, cycorder, and winterboard like nothing ever changed.

nevermind. please delete.

upgraded yesterday morning. I did get the spinning wheel of darn, but I was able to put it into DFU mode and restore.
    Much more stable release, better reception, better battery life (+ 1 hour under normal use), and the apps load better + much shorter backup times.

Darn! That was supposed to say spinning wheel of death.
    Last edited by NCMacMan; 09-13-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Daiskei View Post
    Hey Hatton,

Everything for 2.0 firmware works. I am using bossprefs, cycorder, and winterboard like nothing ever changed.
    Thanks,

Could you just check to see if bitesms starts.

I know the new beta of swirlymms doesnt work yet so some apps dont work

Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

follow these instructions from quickpwn...

i recommend using two computers!!! upgrade one with 8.0 and leave the other on 7.7... its much easier thn messing around with installing and uninstalling itunes....

You must install iTunes 8 first, so if you don't have iTunes 8 download or update to it right now.

If you're using an iPhone, you must download iPhone 2.1 firmware using the below link:
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....6_Restore.ipsw

If you're using an iPhone 3G, download iPhone 3G 2.1 firmware using the below link:
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....6_Restore.ipsw

1. Open iTunes 8, and update to iPhone firmware 2.1.

2. After you're upgraded to firmware 2.1, uninstall iTunes 8.0, and install iTunes 7.7.* from the download link here:

Download iTunes 8.0.0.35 - FileHippo.com

3. Click --> Download QuickPWN iPhone 2.1 Jailbreak <--, or use any of these mirrors if this link doesn't work:
    Mirror 1, Mirror 2

4. Run the QuickPWN-GUI.exe file and browse and select your iPhone 2.1 firmware.

5. Follow the on-screen steps, choose Installer and Cydia.

6. Once finished, your iPhone will reboot, but Installer and Cydia won't be visible.

7. Download & Install DiskAid from here:
    http://www.digidna.net/downloads/dow...on=1.5&sys=win

8. Connect your iPhone via USB to your computer and launch the DiskAID program.

9. When the DiskAid screen launches, you'll see a drop-down box on the bottom left that says "Media Folder". Click on it, and select "Root Folder" instead.

10. You'll get a Root Partition message, just click ok!

11. On the left side, scroll down and click the System folder. Now double-click the Library Folder. Scroll down and double-click the "PrivateFrameworks" folder.

12. On the right side, scroll down and click on the MobileInstallation.framework folder.

13. Select the MobileInstallation file, and click "Delete from Device".

13. Download the new MobileInstallation patch from Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

14. In DiskAid, click "Copy File to Device", and select the MobileInstallation file you downloaded.

15. After you've copied the MobileInstallation file, reboot your iPhone and you should see a jailbreaked iPhone 2.1 now! Enjoy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

that seems like alot of work there buddy.

sure this will work?

dev teams site says some "cool" stuff will be released today. I'll wait for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
    that seems like alot of work there buddy.

sure this will work?
    It works. It's been posted on bossman's site and several have tried it. It's just messy and requires you to del the cache everytime an app is added.
    Last edited by Nefarious; 09-13-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I only need jailbreak for themes, so losing apps wouldn't be a biggie since it would just be NES for me.

Is this update really only going to help 3g phones or is is beneficial to 2G phones also?

As a last thought, I have not looked into it, but would you be able to use iSSH in the app store to stick Cydia in your phone?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colmiak View Post
    thanks for info bout SSH...

i think im gonna upgrade my girlfriends iphone to 2.1 and see if ixfer will recognize it hehe, no point in experimenting with mine when her's is within reach...
    Lol! +1!

We can file her phone under the category of "Acceptable Casualties" :P

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast