Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
I believe a lot of users are confusing people by not providing clear enough details about what they are experiencing, so I'll start by saying I have a first-generation iPhone...
09-13-2008, 04:13 AM #301
I believe a lot of users are confusing people by not providing clear enough details about what they are experiencing, so I'll start by saying I have a first-generation iPhone 8GB on 2.0.2 that I pwn'd using WinPwn 2.5 on Windows Vista, so it is unlocked, activated and jailbroken.
I have just upgraded to iTunes 8 and I have now started to update this phone through iTunes 8 to firmware 2.1. Of course I can expect it to become un-jailbroken, but I'm really not phased about that. I must note that I shift-clicked Update, (NOT Restore) and I used the 2.1 firmware I previously downloaded the other day, though I'm sure it works just the same if you download the firmware through iTunes from the iTunes server.
OK, update complete, the phone is restarting itself (shame I lost my boot logos too, but never mind!). All done.
I can confirm that I am still unlocked, still activated, and running 2.1! Contact loading and what was left of keyboard lag has been obliterated as far as I can see. Apps are loading a LOT faster, most noticably the Hold 'Em app. Genius is brilliant, and I'm not naive, of course Apple just want you to buy the recommended music, but that's why we have torrents, right fellas?
All in all, absolutely no problems here!
09-13-2008, 05:09 AM #302
restore to previous version
09-13-2008, 05:25 AM #303
to update my experiences with this whole new iTunes 8 and fw2.1
iTunes 8 HATES my HP.. whenever my HP was plugged in when I plugged in my phone it would BSOD. keeping my HP unplugged until needed so far is the only workaround.
because of my own rush to install the shiny new 2.1 I forgot to unhide all my games and camera (used snapture) and they ended up in.. well, Purgatory for all eternity for all I knew. so I decided to try the Jailbreak thats over on Sleepers. went smoothly, definitely not a quick process.
couple notes for anyone doing this method. Categories, Docks, BossBref's dock area,...basically ANYTHING that launches programs outside of Springboard itself won't work, just klicks you back to Springboard. Categories and BossPref's has been updating to fix this. Docks and anything else STILL doesn't work, in fact, Docks was removed from Cydia, so... waiting for that update... cause I liked me some "Docks"
oh, and thanx for the QUICK jailbreak, a wait of a couple days.
09-13-2008, 05:31 AM #304
I'm surprised at how many people are reporting "my reception is improved" and not really looking at the facts!
Originally Posted by Apple
Both matched, ranging between -97 -> -101.
Switched back to the "bars" display, mine says 5 bars, hers says 2-3.
Apple is pulling the wool over so many customers' eyes, and it's going to work too, placebo effect... I've already had a couple of dropped calls yesterday after upgrading and also a few failed calls when trying to call out)... I've also watched my phone go to 4 bars on 3g and then switch to EDGE, that's cause the 4 bars is about -108 dB with the new "accuracy calibration".
Well done, Apple.
09-13-2008, 05:37 AM #305
09-13-2008, 05:50 AM #306
i updated a spare iphone 2.0.2 pwnd to 2.1 via itunes, unlock is still active but the mail passwords don't save.
saw this too (look at attachment)
09-13-2008, 05:50 AM #307
On the dev teams blog there's a good right up about fake quickpwns that steal there work and then ask for money! Any how they also said we should see something good or fun today!
09-13-2008, 05:53 AM #308
09-13-2008, 06:13 AM #309
09-13-2008, 06:27 AM #310
Rustynuys I can't quote cause I'm on the phone but how do u jailbreak 2.1?? I'm using a 2g iPhone 8gigs thanks
09-13-2008, 06:35 AM #311
09-13-2008, 06:39 AM #312
09-13-2008, 06:41 AM #313
nevermind. please delete.
09-13-2008, 06:48 AM #314
upgraded yesterday morning. I did get the spinning wheel of darn, but I was able to put it into DFU mode and restore.
Much more stable release, better reception, better battery life (+ 1 hour under normal use), and the apps load better + much shorter backup times.
Darn! That was supposed to say spinning wheel of death.
Last edited by NCMacMan; 09-13-2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
09-13-2008, 06:52 AM #315
09-13-2008, 06:57 AM #316
follow these instructions from quickpwn...
i recommend using two computers!!! upgrade one with 8.0 and leave the other on 7.7... its much easier thn messing around with installing and uninstalling itunes....
You must install iTunes 8 first, so if you don't have iTunes 8 download or update to it right now.
If you're using an iPhone, you must download iPhone 2.1 firmware using the below link:
If you're using an iPhone 3G, download iPhone 3G 2.1 firmware using the below link:
1. Open iTunes 8, and update to iPhone firmware 2.1.
2. After you're upgraded to firmware 2.1, uninstall iTunes 8.0, and install iTunes 7.7.* from the download link here:
Download iTunes 22.214.171.124 - FileHippo.com
3. Click --> Download QuickPWN iPhone 2.1 Jailbreak <--, or use any of these mirrors if this link doesn't work:
Mirror 1, Mirror 2
4. Run the QuickPWN-GUI.exe file and browse and select your iPhone 2.1 firmware.
5. Follow the on-screen steps, choose Installer and Cydia.
6. Once finished, your iPhone will reboot, but Installer and Cydia won't be visible.
7. Download & Install DiskAid from here:
8. Connect your iPhone via USB to your computer and launch the DiskAID program.
9. When the DiskAid screen launches, you'll see a drop-down box on the bottom left that says "Media Folder". Click on it, and select "Root Folder" instead.
10. You'll get a Root Partition message, just click ok!
11. On the left side, scroll down and click the System folder. Now double-click the Library Folder. Scroll down and double-click the "PrivateFrameworks" folder.
12. On the right side, scroll down and click on the MobileInstallation.framework folder.
13. Select the MobileInstallation file, and click "Delete from Device".
13. Download the new MobileInstallation patch from Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!
14. In DiskAid, click "Copy File to Device", and select the MobileInstallation file you downloaded.
15. After you've copied the MobileInstallation file, reboot your iPhone and you should see a jailbreaked iPhone 2.1 now! Enjoy.
09-13-2008, 07:07 AM #317
that seems like alot of work there buddy.
sure this will work?
09-13-2008, 07:22 AM #318
Last edited by Nefarious; 09-13-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
09-13-2008, 07:23 AM #319
I only need jailbreak for themes, so losing apps wouldn't be a biggie since it would just be NES for me.
Is this update really only going to help 3g phones or is is beneficial to 2G phones also?
As a last thought, I have not looked into it, but would you be able to use iSSH in the app store to stick Cydia in your phone?Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s
09-13-2008, 07:27 AM #320