+ Reply
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Firmware 2.1 - Grab it While It's Hot

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by colmiak man i wanna update baddd cuz my phones is sloww but i dont wanna give up all my cracked apps... does anybody know if theres another
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colmiak View Post
    man i wanna update baddd cuz my phones is sloww but i dont wanna give up all my cracked apps... does anybody know if theres another way to SSH into your iphone without installing SSH from cydia/installer? if i can just get in and replace my mobileinstallion file so i can use my cracked apps i would sooo update...but then again cycorder and snapture are soo nice..i'll wait unless someone has a way of using SSH without jailbreaking first, which i doubt anybody does...

but maybe knows of a program thats lets you browse and edit/replace files in a non-jailbroken iphone? maybe ixfer?
    Just wait... If your phone works than no harm in waiting... I did a test and then went back to 2.0.2 (2g iphone)

I also tried to ssh but no luck...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bretthartt View Post
    Wait, WTH? lol, does everybody's do this?
    It has always done it. That's what you see if your songs has actual lyrics in the lyrics tab. All you have to do is press the screen while a song is playing, if you have anything on the lyrics collumn, it will pop up. Its NOT a new feature.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elbello View Post
    It has always done it. That's what you see if your songs has actual lyrics in the lyrics tab. All you have to do is press the screen while a song is playing, if you have anything on the lyrics collumn, it will pop up. Its NOT a new feature.
    lol, i cant see the use of a grown man like myself needing a karaoke machine in my phone... But i've still learned something new.... Thank you
    The Best There Is...
    The Best There Was....
    And The Best There Ever Will Be.....

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

ALL,
    after looking at the tests (self) and reading about the 3g and playing around with it. 2G users should be golden with any of the Firmware versions... I do suggest waiting to upgrade to 2.1 until the winpwn/equivelent is out. (I did upgrade but went back as stated in my test post) Reason you ask? Cydia/Installer... No other reason... No sence in upgrading and then to do it all over again in a few days...

The 3G has new chips... one in particular that is causing all the heartache... 3G! (Outdated BTW) This FW is almost 100% for the 3G.

For us 2G until APPLE goes to A2DP support for bluetooth or there is a hack :-) no real reason to upgrade "immediatly" If bluetooth was unleashed then...... link to bluetooth GPS receiver/headphones/anybluetooth device....

Im Just saying....

Oh yeah 2G rocks... and so does 3g since I sold it...

DOES ANY DEV HAVE THE 411 on A2DP? Ill help...
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 09-12-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Just wait... If your phone works than no harm in waiting... I did a test and then went back to 2.0.2 (2g iphone)

I also tried to ssh but no luck...
    thanks for info bout SSH...

i think im gonna upgrade my girlfriends iphone to 2.1 and see if ixfer will recognize it hehe, no point in experimenting with mine when her's is within reach...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a 16gb 3G iphone jail break and my 3g recepection was terrible and now after updating my recepition is at full bar the whole time before it would go to edge and 3g and i had a lot of drop calls and now is working fine. I lost Cydia and Installer and some cracked apps but oh well i would just wait for the Dev Team to come with a new solution to jailbreak my phone again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Updated my 2nd gen (2.0.2) and it works perfectly on T-Mo, no issues other than the loss of Cydia and Winter. MUCH faster access to sms and contacts, well worth the time and effort to update IMO.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I dont see an option in the settings menu for the text tone to repeat, anyone find this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green_vaccine View Post
    Updated my 2nd gen (2.0.2) and it works perfectly on T-Mo, no issues other than the loss of Cydia and Winter. MUCH faster access to sms and contacts, well worth the time and effort to update IMO.
    Did you have T-Zones installed? Does it still work??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

damn now im debating. do i wait for the dev team or do i go ahead and upgrade now and go a few days without cydia or apps. decisions :/

Thanks

Also did the upgrade to 2.1. Had jailbroken, unlocked, activated pwned v2.02 1gen, ended up with unlocked, activated v2.1 1gen. Fast backups, fast installs, no app crashes (so far), no install issues - loving it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone thebug3000's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i just updated from jailbroken activated and unlocked 2.0.2 to unlocked and activated 2.1 not jailbroken anymore however

on Itunes 7.7 now i have to go itunes 8 for the phone to work cause it doesnt work on itunes 7.7

so far reception is great and time for settings and sms seems better

i hope a quick pwn comes soon, missing winter board already
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Never had t-zones installed in the first place so I can't comment on that, sorry.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to green_vaccine For This Useful Post:

enrigonz (09-12-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    easy one for me i'm waiting on a jailbreak version. I love winterboard way too much to lose all my wallpapers updating.

That is unless 2.1 really does have background push notifications like for AIM?

Thanks

if cycorder was made into an .ipa , will it install on un jailbroken phone thru itunes? i kno i seen a snapture cracked version on youtube that was installed like that (but it was jailbroken)
    saurik, i can live with out this, do you think its possible saurik?
    cuz if you say yea, i will upgrade lol
    my upgrade depends on your awesomeness and the devteams...sure gonna miss the stickers theme tho, but my 3g reception goes bad alot of times
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post

The iPhone 2.1 software update contains many bug fixes and improvements. To get it, connect your iPhone to your computer using iTunes 8 and click Check for Update.

Update includes:

Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls
    Significantly better battery life for most users
    Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
    Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
    Faster installation of 3rd party applications
    Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
    Improved performance in text messaging
    Faster loading and searching of contacts
    Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
    Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
    Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
    Genius playlist creation

You can find the update in itunes and we'll have it here shortly: (Thanks to Raxxal for the links)

Here you can get the new updates:

For 3G Iphone

For 2G Iphone

MMI Note: If you have a jailbroken phone or if your phone is unlocked.....DO NOT UPDATE....until we get word from the Devs
    *First generation users - if you upgrade in iTunes you will lose your jailbreak, but retain your unlock/activation due to the baseband not changing. If you restore, you will lose your jailbreak AND activation but remain unlocked.

Note to 3G Users - If you upgrade in iTunes to 2.1 and have intelliscreen installed (or other programs that modify your com.apple.springboard.plist you WILL get the Spinning Wheel of Death after you upgrade and have to restore.

Thanks to Reeko for posting it in the Iphone Talk Section
    Hello,

How do I activate my iPhone 2.1? I mistakenly Restored it,and it is unlocked, (i Pwned with winPwn).

Any help appreciated !

Take Care,

Mudassir Azeemi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just updated a 2G 16gb that was jailbroken winpwn 2.5 and unlocked to the new 2.1 firmware. Phone is still unlocked and activated, but cydia and installer are gone (not a big deal - knew they would be.) One suprise is that my numeric battery indicator is still there and functioning fine after the update.

Im new to my iphone anyways, just got it a couple weeks ago and never did really use much of the jailbreak features or apps from cydia/installer so this is not a big deal to me... I do wonder why/how the numeric battery is still there though...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OffsetZ33 View Post
    Just updated a 2G 16gb that was jailbroken winpwn 2.5 and unlocked to the new 2.1 firmware. Phone is still unlocked and activated, but cydia and installer are gone (not a big deal - knew they would be.) One suprise is that my numeric battery indicator is still there and functioning fine after the update.

Im new to my iphone anyways, just got it a couple weeks ago and never did really use much of the jailbreak features or apps from cydia/installer so this is not a big deal to me... I do wonder why/how the numeric battery is still there though...
    certain system images/settings will stay when you update rather than restore, or if you restore from a backup rather than setting up a new phone, and that's why. happened to me last time when i restored my phone (not update) but restored from a backup rather than set up the phone as new

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in now that I did all 3 of my iPhones.

I have a 2G that was winpwn'ed (Jailbreak and unlock for T-Mobile USA) on 2.0.2, upgraded it to 2.1, still unlocked, NO Jailbreak.

My ATT 3G, quickpwn'ed on 2.0.2, upgraded, went fine but no Jailbreak any more.

My iPhone 3G on T-mobile USA (from Italy, no SIM lock) was quickpwn'ed on 2.0.2 and I upgraded. No more pwnage/Jailbreak, but everything works.

No more 3rd party apps on any of them, but oddly I still have the number for battery status from BossPrefs.

-D

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dratk00l For This Useful Post:

mbaharvard (09-12-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dratk00l View Post
    Thought I would throw my 2 cents in now that I did all 3 of my iPhones.

I have a 2G that was winpwn'ed (Jailbreak and unlock for T-Mobile USA) on 2.0.2, upgraded it to 2.1, still unlocked, NO Jailbreak.

My ATT 3G, quickpwn'ed on 2.0.2, upgraded, went fine but no Jailbreak any more.

My iPhone 3G on T-mobile USA (from Italy, no SIM lock) was quickpwn'ed on 2.0.2 and I upgraded. No more pwnage/Jailbreak, but everything works.

No more 3rd party apps on any of them, but oddly I still have the number for battery status from BossPrefs.

-D
    like jtesnani said, "certain system images/settings will stay when you update rather than restore, or if you restore from a backup rather than setting up a new phone, and that's why."

btw; any update or eta from the dev team sorry im just getting anxious!
    Last edited by ToasterBoyOhFour; 09-12-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost