+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone most important CE product in 20 years?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default iPhone most important CE product in 20 years?
    Some seem to think the iPhone is the most important consumer electronic device to be released in 20 years.

“If you can reset in the consumers’ minds that cellphones can be priced at $499 to $699, instead of the thinking that it is just $1, that’s good.” He echoed the view of his colleagues that “the marketing and hype surrounding iPhone is good,” and said that even if iPhone isn’t all that it is supposed to be “you know that they are working on iPhone2, iPhone3 and 4 versions.”
    Smarthouse News via Macsimum News

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

hah yeah sure, the ipod was, this thing will have to do better in sales to take that title

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Well eventually, I bet it will.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

I bet it wont. I'll give you 2 to one odds

Thanks

Umm, Eventually iPhone will be sold in every market on the map. There will be a lot in circulation give it a few years. I bet in a few years time iPod will be discontinued and everyone will have iPhone.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

like i said

i'll give you two to one odds, first 5 yrs of iphone vs first 5 yrs ipod. any # you name, both our cash put into a high yield savings, winner takes all in 5 years. easy money you don't seem to have any knowledge about how demographics and the consumer markets work.

Thanks

Heh, I think that Eventually the iPhone will be sold more than the iPod. I wouldn't say within the first 5 years, but it will over time.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

maybe if they discontinue the ipod. otherwise no, not a chance, not even an argument to make about it, just stupidity

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

The reason this phone is the most important CE product in 20 years is NOT because the guy thinks it will sell more than the iPod, or even have any market share at all. There are a few main points that would make the iPhone success a milestone in CE products:
    1. PRICE - The iPhone would set a good precedent that not just $1 phones will sell. The mobile phone market in the US has been pulled down a long time by the "free phone" mantra. Of course, other phones have sold for premium prices, but never with as much success as the iPhone is slated to gain.
    2. SMART PHONE - The seamless operation between the iPhone and the computer is set up to be easier than anything on the market, when it comes to smart phones. This will push the other smart phone manufacturers to more intuitive operations. The iPhone is also expected to double smart phone sales in the entire nation. Meaning it will be half of all smartphone sales - a big push forward in the smartphone market.
    3. INNOVATION - Many of the iPhone's features (Live Voicemail, Accelerometer, Full Web, Multi-Touch Input) are new and big deals. This will also light the fire under the arses of the major manufacturers to emulate and innovate above and beyond these types of fetures to secure market share.

The bottom line, the cellular market is ten time the size of the portable music player market, and thus the iPhone (should it be successful as it looks) pushing the major manufacturers to innovate and alter their focus from building cheap freebies to a market where they can stand secure knowing the American consumer is in fact willing to spend money on a device which is more costly, if it is an excellent device.

Of course, we need to see who all is buying this thing, and this whole write-up depends on the success of the device. If its just the early-adopters and geeks buying it, then it isn't as plausible. Once corporate functions are more fine-tuned, the iPhone will be even more popular. Although, again, Apple has always marketed more to the consumer and creative professional, not to the corporate lacky.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

I was going off of the idea of Apple discontinuing the iPod in my first post.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    I was going off of the idea of Apple discontinuing the iPod in my first post.
    and that is just stupid.

@ poetic yeah yeah read that all, and the reason it is not the most important release is the ipod rekindled a dying company, changed the way the world views portable electronic device, and without the ipod apple would have never been in the position it is now to be able to create and produce another behavior changing device like the iphone. Sooooo I still vote ipod even though I don't own one
    Last edited by Cody Overcash; 06-25-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost