Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 185

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Firmware 2.1 Announced - To be Released this Friday

  1. #41
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jm12345 View Post
    And I do agree with you....to a certain degree. However, do you want this at the expense of you? Being able to e-mail photos like we can off the iPhone is great, but why does it hurt to put MMS on the phone. Do you really think MMS needs to go away and we should move all picture messages to e-mail? For the percentage of people that use e-mail on their phones (like we do) is probably small.
    Should Microsoft make Vista backwards compatible to Windows 98? There's still tons of people out there using it. Truth is, old features simply take up resources that can be better served towards other current tasks.

    Quote Originally Posted by jm12345 View Post
    Does the BB use e-mail for picture messages? (I have no idea thats why I'm asking)
    BB has MMS capability (if there's a camera), but most use PIN'ing for business use. This is something unique to BB.

    Quote Originally Posted by jm12345 View Post
    Also not to veer away from copy and paste. I mean when using a device for text (e-mail, texting, notes, Google Maps, resturants, etc.) I would assume it should be mandatory. Where is this?
    I agree with that one, and from what I've read Apple does intend to add this, its simply been on the back burner while they get more pressing features squared away.

    There's good arguments either way. Apple feels MMS is a product of the past. I just happen to agree with them.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

    enjoi4586 (09-10-2008)

  3. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    mms has only been out like 15 years!!!! and email has still been around longer! so figure that out. apple isnt pushing us to a new system, it is using a perfectly available and more widespread system. alot of phones still dont have mms. and besides, half the time the mms doesnt go thru, especially when the two phones are different (sending from a razr to a nokia) alot of times you get picture size restrictions or other format issues. none of that with email.

    besides, apple knows only the iphone can do email pics. did you really think they wanted the iphone to "co-exist" with other phones? NO, they want the iphone to render all other phones obsolete. forcing the world to buy in to their product. Duh!

    on top of the fact that anyone who knows anything about the iphone, knows that it is NOT a cellphone!
    it is a mac laptop mini that can make cell phone calls among MANY other things. find a phone that can do half of the things an iphone can do, then we can start the pissing contest. until then, love it or sell it!

    Haha easy there before you blow a vessel. It was a simple calm conversation, keyword calm.

  4. #43
    iPhone? More like MyPhone marys25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoFLA
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    I need MMS cause i do have family & friends that are on those "unlimited plan carriers" in were i have tried to email them pics using the carries Mobile email numbers and they don't receive them... and its a hassle having to tell your friends to email you the pic cause you don't get MMS

  5. #44
    What I want to see 1st off is A2DP support ... this is old technology cant believe they missed it on the 2g and then FAILED to put it on the 3G .... also copy and paste ... if they would just add copy and paste it would help with the lack of MMS. I can take not being able to send pics but it drives me insane getting pic mail and having to remember that dumb username and password .... copy and paste would be a dream considering i dont usually cary around a pen and paper

  6. #45
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    Which is why the amount of MMS usage grew during the first year of the iPhone, right? Nice thinking.
    Not with my company it didn't. Do you happen to have a link for those stats or are you talking out your arse?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

    luiz (09-09-2008), tattoojack (09-09-2008)

  8. #46
    Green Apple Macboy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los angeles, CA
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I don't see much of a difference myself but there are a few new features added and Mobile safari works fine.

  9. #47
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Sometimes people just have to be dragged into the future. Apple was also the first company to drop floppy drives from computers, do you see floppy drives anymore? Nope. Do you care? Nope.
    First of all there are still floppy drives around, even though not many people use them anymore. Second of all comparing MMS to floppies doesn't really makes sense, as the percentage of phones that can receive/sent e-mails to the ones that can send MMS is still really low. It's not like MMS service is on decline or something. And lastly I have no idea if this service is popular in US, but in Europe it's quite commonly used, and this time iPhone wasn't released only for US market.

    I live in Poland and using cellular network is still quite expensive so basically I can browse the internet or send e-mails and stuff from home via wifi or at hotspots, or at someone else's house. And as someone mentioned it before, MMS wouldn't hurt anyone and in fact together with some other features that at the moment iPhone lacks, it would only increase their sales.

  10. #48
    I was thinking... they are pushing this "Genius" feature so hard, but didn't mention it with the iPhone? Also, what about "shake to shuffle"? It had the accelorameter (sp) first, shouldn't it be able to do it too?

    My guess, and hope, is that these features, as well as several other significant features will be included in the 2.1 update! ....one can dream..... cross your fingers....

  11. #49
    I'm not sure why it is so Email Vs. MMS. There are people that use/prefer one over the other. Not a big deal.

  12. #50
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Last time I checked it was a huge pain in the butt to call up every single of your contacts (sometimes HUNDREDS) and ask them who their mobile provider is. Then go back into this contact and add [email protected] (or whatever) as one of their emails and then expect them to figure out how to email a photo to you when they are well versed in MMS and usually don't want to bother learning an alternative method. SwirlyMMS works amazingly well on ALL my friends' T-Mobile phones (contrary to tattoojack's assessments) but cannot be used on the iPhone 3G due to IMEI complications. MMS is not a "dated" technology for the average mobile phone user either. I also think that if this "email method" were not such a big deal you wouldn't have hundreds of thousands (possibly millions by now) complaining about it all over the internet blogs.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

    marys25 (09-09-2008)

  14. #51
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    813
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 108 Times in 80 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jm12345 View Post
    Haha easy there before you blow a vessel. It was a simple calm conversation, keyword calm.
    YES SIR!
    who are you to tell me what to do?
    i was calm, just stating facts.

    and besides, why are you posting?
    just to boss people around or to add to the information in this post?


    and poseidon,

    i was merely stating the fact that you pointed out. IT DOESNT WORK ON THE 3G
    so that in itself DOES qualify as "only works partially"
    Last edited by tattoojack; 09-09-2008 at 03:12 PM.

  15. #52
    Doesnt anyone here use hotmail? The mail app doesnt support hotmail I think, and I need it badly. Screw MMS, I think I sent maybe 3-4 mms' in my life, and all those were just to make sure it was going through my htc touch.

    Besides that, what's Apple's excuse for not allowing bluetooth file transfers? old technology?? and this is a pda like device, thus copy & paste function is mandatory.

  16. #53
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    hotmail is a joke now-a-days. no free POP3 support. I was hoping for some A2DP, but maybe they will just sneak that in on the update and not announce it officially

  17. #54
    iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    huntington, wv
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post

    besides, apple knows only the iphone can do email pics. did you really think they wanted the iphone to "co-exist" with other phones? NO, they want the iphone to render all other phones obsolete. forcing the world to buy in to their product. Duh!
    They're rendering their own product useless, not others. Guess what.. most people use phones other than iPhones. Phone's that DO have MMS.

  18. #55
    Use izymail.com to use your hotmail account on your iphone. Works just as well as my me.com account on the iphone... Follow the setup instructions.

  19. #56
    iPhone? More like MyPhone picassolsus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Elaborate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Macboy67 View Post
    I don't see much of a difference myself but there are a few new features added and Mobile safari works fine.
    Are you talking about fw 2.1? If so, what new features specifically? You using a leaked final or beta 2.1?
    iPhone 3GS 16GB 3.0fw White + Jailbroken

  20. #57
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    278
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by picassolsus View Post
    Are you talking about fw 2.1? If so, what new features specifically? You using a leaked final or beta 2.1?
    he's talking about the ipod touch firmware. it was released today

  21. #58
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Last time I checked it was a huge pain in the butt to call up every single of your contacts (sometimes HUNDREDS) and ask them who their mobile provider is. Then go back into this contact and add [email protected] (or whatever) as one of their emails and then expect them to figure out how to email a photo to you when they are well versed in MMS and usually don't want to bother learning an alternative method. SwirlyMMS works amazingly well on ALL my friends' T-Mobile phones (contrary to tattoojack's assessments) but cannot be used on the iPhone 3G due to IMEI complications. MMS is not a "dated" technology for the average mobile phone user either. I also think that if this "email method" were not such a big deal you wouldn't have hundreds of thousands (possibly millions by now) complaining about it all over the internet blogs.
    I agree, here in UK about 95%+ more phones have MMS on them and it actaully works, it's ok receiving pictures as there's an O2 MMS webapp but sending that's an issue. MMS isn't dead if anything it's going to get better as not everyones going to have an iPhone or any other smartphone due to many features not in it so Email becomes annoying to use when sending MMS's.

    Soo sorry but I have to ask this, how the hell have you got your font orange?? lol, I want a colour aswell

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  22. #59
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    278
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    I agree, here in UK about 95%+ more phones have MMS on them and it actaully works, it's ok receiving pictures as there's an O2 MMS webapp but sending that's an issue. MMS isn't dead if anything it's going to get better as not everyones going to have an iPhone or any other smartphone due to many features not in it so Email becomes annoying to use when sending MMS's.

    Soo sorry but I have to ask this, how the hell have you got your font orange?? lol, I want a colour aswell
    click the A and change color in the type box thing

  23. #60
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    They're rendering their own product useless, not others. Guess what.. most people use phones other than iPhones. Phone's that DO have MMS.
    Exactly, it's the most hyped iPhone ever but still not selling as much as their competitors due to lack of MMS, video recording, bluetooth file sending and receiving and the fact Apple need to upgrade the camera at least to 5MP with flash if they want to compete in the mobile market.

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •