+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Spore: Full Walk-Through and Review

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Spore, EA's extremely popular creature-creating adventure/take-care-of-my-pet game was released Monday for iPhone via the Apple AppStore. The release, anticipated as early as the March 6th unveiling of the 2.0 firmware
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default Spore: Full Walk-Through and Review

Spore, EA's extremely popular creature-creating adventure/take-care-of-my-pet game was released Monday for iPhone via the Apple AppStore. The release, anticipated as early as the March 6th unveiling of the 2.0 firmware at Apple's WWDC this year, comes only a day later than EA announced it would.

As of the writing of this post, Spore was still not showing up in the AppStore, but you can download it from iTunes and sync to your iPhone by using the direct link to it in iTunes. The official AppStore description:

iPhone/iPod Touch Exclusive Features!
    • Tilt, turn, and twist your way through the primordial ooze with your motion-sensing acceleromter.
    • Pinch, pull, and poke your creation in the Creature Editor, customizing the texture, shape, and body parts to fit the way you play.
    • Personalize your game-play by skinning your creature with pictures from your device's Photo Albums.
    • Experience 2 exciting game modes: Evolution and Survival.
    • Survive 30 challenging levels teaming [sic] with bizarre creatures.
    • Navigate treacherous caverns to explore various strange worlds.
    • Enjoy vivid graphics, dynamic animations and atmospheric music on your evolutionary journey.

After installing Spore, tap the icon on your springboard (homescreen). You'll be greeted by the EA startup screen, a Spore splash screen, and then the loading screen.

The menu offers a wide selection of items. The Options menu is standard, but offers one cool feature - Set Relative Tilt Angle allows you to let the game know the angle you'd prefer to be default. We don't all hold our iPhones completely parallel with the ground, so this makes for a useful feature.

My Creatures allows you to quickly check all your creatures stats, as well as delete creatures if you'd like. The Achievements tab lists all your trophies won.

The help menu is a fully featured one, including controls, tips on the
    Creature Editor and Survival/Evolution mode differences and help.

The creature editor is a very cool area of Spore, and one of the things that makes Spore so popular - extreme customizability. You can pinch, pull, wrap, colorize, and even wrap the creature in a photo from your photo book. Spore creatures can be completely customized.

Once you create your creature and click play, you're greeted with an intro video. This plays every time you start the game, which is kinda annoying - but if you tap the screen when it starts, you can see the iPhone's movie controls (weird, yah) and just fast forward to the end so it starts your level.

Game play is simple yet addicting - wander around encountering other creatures. As you first start the initial level, the game will give you some pointers while you wander around, and you will encounter nothing until the tips have let you know what to do - then the creatures will start pouring in.

When you see smaller creature than yourself, the little tadpoles (ehem, yah, tadpoles is what they look like), move over to them. Running them over makes you /eat/ them, filling your DNA bar. When you fill your DNA bar completely full, you've passed the level.

Each level brings you new challeneges - the first 5 levels are in the "Primordial Ooze," as you "evolve" your creature towards land. As you advance into new levels, you get to /eat/ larger creatures as you encounter them.

The more evolution points you get (by eating more and more creatures), the more parts are unlocked in the creature editor. From offensive parts such as claws to defensive parts like shields, you can edit your creature as the game progresses to use advanced parts to play the game more effectively.

Level 4 is the first level moving towards land - and doesn't require a DNA meter to beat it, just navigate through the level. You get 5 "hearts" or health points, and each time you hit one of the spiney creatures, or get bit by the shellfish lookin guy, you lose health. Lose all 5, and you are game over. You can restart at the beginning of the level you were on.

Level 6 actually brings you onto land (supposedly - you're actually in a lava pit this time instead.

All in all, the ability to save level states (you can start back at whichever level you'd like to), and levels which are not too long but not too short while playing make Spore a great game to play for 5 minutes or an hour. I've only played to level 8 so far, and the additional parts and difficulty in passing each level is definitely addicting and fun. iTunes lets us know there's 30 levels of gameplay available in Spore Origins.

I wish they had a bit more than the liquid levels - the original spore game eventually launches you into a full blown world as you evolve from a swimming creature into a walking, running, tribe-leading creature. As it is the difficulty level increases enough with each level to be challenging and hold attention.

Worth the $10 to me.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds like it'd be worth it.

Thanks
    Im downloadidng it now, tyvm

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ya it will

Thanks

Awesome.

Looks like plenty of fun
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

Thanks

I gotta have spore! I've been carrying the SDK video on MxTube since it came out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im going to get it soon...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

This thread is about Spore: Origins. Not 2.x. Keep discussion on topic, thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

i which they make free apps

TO POETIC FOLLY i just wanna know your theme's name! ;-]
    Last edited by r1994augusto; 09-08-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

My spore Video! Subscribe to alexosh1234!

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCspZgr0lZU"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCspZgr0lZU[/ame]
    iPhonehacker123- please thank me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

TO POETIC FOLLY i just wanna know your theme's name! ;-][/QUOTE]

x2

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

MonoChrome - in Cydia.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

toaster99 (09-10-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jltdhome's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry So basically
    Im going to break from the pack and ask, is this just a big fish small fish type of game. You basically tilt around and eat smaller creatures for 50 levels? What a joke, so much hype for nothing. Not worth the $10 in my book.
    Lightning from the Sky - Thunder from the Sea

Green Apple
    Thanks

Who are these kids that make these videos..is he French?

Spore-a Origines

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jltdhome View Post
    Im going to break from the pack and ask, is this just a big fish small fish type of game. You basically tilt around and eat smaller creatures for 50 levels? What a joke, so much hype for nothing. Not worth the $10 in my book.
    I second this opinion. I have it and it doesn't live up to all the hype. Sure, it's a fun game to play around with a bit, but customizing your character isn't as exhilarating as it sounds. Not worth 10$, but the pirated version is great!

iPhone? More like MyPhone jltdhome's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    I second this opinion. I have it and it doesn't live up to all the hype. Sure, it's a fun game to play around with a bit, but customizing your character isn't as exhilarating as it sounds. Not worth 10$, but the pirated version is great!
    Well, im a firm believer of trial versions or even lite (free) versions. That way you can try out a game and see if you want to spend the $10. Thats why people are downloading hacked IPA files. I downloaded the Toy Bot Diaries IPA and ended up liking it so much I paid for it so I could get the updates. Although they just recently released a free version of the game (for a quick try out).
    Lightning from the Sky - Thunder from the Sea

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    but the pirated version is great!
    ennnnnnnnn! wrong answer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I like the game so far....
    The little add-ons keep me wanting to play it.

We should post pics of our Spore creations...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I still don't get the hype for this game.. I thought that once it cam out and i saw at least a video of the game play i would be intrigued to go and buy it. I guess moving around a little guy to run into some other little guys is not all that entertaining. Please show me why this game is so great, I will say though, that i have not played it and that could be part of it...
    Chill-lax, everything will be alright

iPhone? More like MyPhone Conn18's Avatar
    Thanks

Poetic_Folly.. Do I Spy Taskbar Notifier on 2.x?
    Is this possible? O.o

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫