Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Belkin Game Controller Coming with Apple SDK Support?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,278 Times in 652 Posts

Default Belkin Game Controller Coming with Apple SDK Support?

Edit: Busted

What does the iPhone lack when gaming? Buttons. Although it has a very nice touch screen and nifty controls via the accelerometer those just don't seem to stand up when trying to play games in my opinion. In the past we have seen creations like iControlPad to make a jailbroken iPhone a better gaming device.

Now some mysterious images have popped up suggesting that Belkin is in the process of creating a game controller specifically designed for the iPhone. If a big company like Belkin is creating it there is little doubt there would have to be Apple support -- Belkin wouldn't be creating a product targeted just at jailbroken phones. What does this mean? Possible SDK support for game controllers in future SDKs directly from Apple. If these are all real the iPhone could become a legitament gaming device in the future to compete with popular units like the PSP. Keep in mind there is a good chance this is nothing more than a hoax

[via toucharcade]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -belkin.png   -control-300x246.jpg   -joypod.jpg  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

chi_towner1 (08-31-2008), Kaas (09-01-2008)

I have a hard time believing this to be real. Apple said themselves that the SDK will NOT allow for dock connector communication...

Oh yeah, and, FIRST! :-P
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

cool thanks for the info hopefully we will know soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beva922's Avatar
    Thanks

This controller thing would do too much to influence apple's design of the iPhone for Jobs to handle.....he would probably not support this thing even if it did exist....

though I sure do...it's a great idea because its very difficult to play some of those nes/snes games... (not complaining, because those emulators are awesome!)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zsuns's Avatar
    Thanks

This is fake.
    plus, even if it's real, developers who wanted to have the option to use this with their app would have to make add and recode to their app to add support for the controler like the a button, b button, joy stick, ect.
    Last edited by imode; 08-31-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: doubled post
    A Thanks is always nice =]

it looks like a gizmondo not gd. lol

Dont think its real
    iPhone 2g scammed on ebay
    year and bit later ebay have finaly given me the money back.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

the icontrolpad looks like it will be available soon.

iControlPad - Add real gaming controls to your iPhone!

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/news/17...ontrolpad.html

I'll buy which ever one has more support behind it for emulators. Belkin or icontrolpad. I have to agree that the Belkin one doesn't feel like the real deal, but would be nice if it is.

nice will come in handy for certain games especially those of us who use emulators on our iphones only concern is will it dock to an iphone with a case because it would be real annoying to take off my case everytime i wanted to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Oh yeah, and, FIRST! :-P
    okay, seriously... shut up.

back to the topic: this would be great, if it's real. i have a hard time believing it too though...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icue View Post
    nice will come in handy for certain games especially those of us who use emulators on our iphones only concern is will it dock to an iphone with a case because it would be real annoying to take off my case everytime i wanted to use it
    You'd leave the control pads on, on a regular basis? Id probably only use them when im lounging around the house.

If these are the real deal, it'd be a cool purchase. Of course my concern is the games we currently have. Im interested to see how this pans out.

obviously fake

but i like the idea

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why dont someone cal Belkin and ask them

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is it that whenever something like this comes out all we care to comment is FAKE or REAL. This type of posting is not helpful to anyone.

Apple DID say they won't support dock devices in the SDK. This doesn;t mean that if a company like Belkin (not some random guy making things in his basement) approached them with this idea that they would instantly shoot it down. Especially not if Belkin can convince Apple that it will make both parties alot of money. Think about it... if this device helps sales of games because it is easier to control games with it and in turn games that are hard to control help sell the device, why wouldn't Apple at least consider it. In fact, there was a device coming for the 1st gen that would enable full gps via the dock port as a plug-in add-on that, to the best of my knowledge, was only canceled because the 3G had a gps units built in and it would hinder sales of the new model iPhone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

ceth1122 (09-01-2008)

fake but
    I think the Idea for an iPhone iTouch is just NO BUTTONS TOUCH
    but its a good idea well its not amazing but its good
    lol
    SPANISH I cant Translate it!

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    okay, seriously... shut up.

back to the topic: this would be great, if it's real. i have a hard time believing it too though...
    Come on plz
    if apple had in mind to make the iPhone a game machine well something less phone than phone I think they had just... i don't know
    this is ********!!!

I prefer a iPhone not a psp
    and i think more people thing this too!
    Last edited by r1994augusto; 08-31-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It would be cool to have for those long trips.

dude omg icontrolpad might get canceled because of this... but from what i heard from sdk... this might be a hoax... can someone confirm if this is real or fake by calling belking or something, because i want to know if this is going to be real and if this is going to be supporting jailbroken emulators... like zodttd's emulators, I just want the one thats better =P

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r1994augusto View Post
    I prefer a iPhone not a psp
    and i think more people thing this too!
    Not quite sure how this would make the iphone any less than a phone seeing as how you choose whether or not you want to buy it... games are already being developed for it regardless. Is it so bad to allow gamers to be happy? Nobody wants to take the phone away from you just add more and more features!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    I doubt this is real, something like this Apple would be all over it and THEY would create it so they could maximize profit

Thanks

^^^Agreed, especially if it was supported by AppStore.
    Apples taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by zsuns View Post
    This is fake.
    plus, even if it's real, developers who wanted to have the option to use this with their app would have to make add and recode to their app to add support for the controler like the a button, b button, joy stick, ect.
    O.o

It's fake because developers would have to change their apps to support the device? Your logic is inescapable!

Humor aside...

Let's face it, opinions are like... well you get it.

Now for mine.

I think it's only logical given the capabilities of the phone that something like this IS developed in the future. The iPhone (and iPod Touch) is clearly an able gaming platform, why Apple wouldn't want to cut into that market as well... The only reason I could see for them not adding support for such a device into the SDK would be:

1. The hardware doesn't support it via the dock connector (I'd be surprised if that was true)
    2. They have their own plans for a PSP killer based on the platform (doubtful considering they have made shareholder promises to ship millions more iPhones.)

I'd say it's coming but only a matter of time, provided the hardware itself would support it.
    Last edited by santiagodraco; 09-01-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast