Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iCall: The First VoIP AppStore App

if you have family in other countries, this will save you international package fees. Also a great app if you travel overseas frequently and don't want to setup packages for each trip. Hopefully it's as clear as promised!

bump.. if this app worked over 3G and Edge then maybe just maybe i might consider it rather than pay at&t .29c to call canada.. what a rip.. and not to mention .50c per text sent and received from canada.. give me a break.. drop those prices icall and you might have customers..

just one question...what are the international calling rates...like to Mexico? Does anybody this?

Its a monthly rental, unlimited calls plan.

LOL $30 to start and $10 afterwards? I thought the point of this app was to NOT pay for minutes. I guess they think that people will enjoy paying an extra $10 per month for a 2 year contract when they could just USE THEIR REGULAR PHONE WITHOUT PAYING THE $10. This app is a joke. I don't doubt that it works well but I expected it to be free all-around, not just a free download. What's the point of this app if it doesn't save you money? Terrible idea I hope they come around. I would rather pay $5-10 for it in the AppStore and then have free service than download it free and then bleed money into that company.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What we really need is CounterPath Corporation | Home to come up with a client for us. Id rather pay them $60.00 and be able to connect to any provider that we may use or office pbx connectivity or the likes. Or even pay for a vonage app since so many people use vonage as it is.

Althou Icall is a cool concept. I pay for enough monthly's and would rather pay a one time fee to connect to what I got. Concept is right for them as a company but maybe they should come up with a open version they can sell flat out that would allow outside pbx from there network. Would jump them ahead of counterpath who im sure has something in the works. There always on it..

just my 2cents..

hmm counterpath has a C++ developer tools.. lol
    Last edited by moodog; 08-30-2008 at 07:44 AM.

good idea, but it's a little expensive, don't you think?
    but the idea is still good
    congratulations!

Wow $10 a month give me a break. The whole point of VOIP is to save money. We already pay for our internet and this VOIP should take advantage of the internet and allow us to talk for free over wifi... But charging $10 to use OUR INTERNET CONNECTION? That is just bogus... Charge like $10 or even $20 in the appstore for just the APP, not its services. I rather just keep my laptop in my bag with headphones feeding out and talk to someone for free over wifi then have to pay monthly for this.

I agree, $10/month is not worth it. Most of my friends using T-Mobile. I can call them for free anytime. i dont care much about VOIP. Unless it's free . I rather use my laptop and use some free programs to call them for free in USA. For some business people? I dont think they care about VOIP and saving money cuz they are dam rich. hehe

whats the point of this? the iphone has a phone, why do you need to talk over wifi? i dont get it.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

People saying this isn;t worth it are missing a few HUGE poits. Fist of all VOIP is still a service, they need to support this service. it is just like any other VOIP, and needs am infrastructure. Also, for people making INTERNATIONAL CALLS (I frequently call Hungary) this is a GREAT deal. The first minute costs you money and the rest are free. At $00.50-$1.00+ per minute (depending on where you call OUT OF THE COUNTRY) this can be a HUGE savings. $00.50 a minute would be just 20 minutes a month talk time to already accrue $10.00 in fees. The first fee of $30.00 is probably just to help recoup the costs of the infrastructure needed to get a VOIP system in place. My mom has a VOIP system that is like skype and she is paying about $30.00 a month for unlimited local and continental (within the 48 states) long distance and something like $00.35/minute for her calls to Hungary.

Bottom line is for a VOIP service this is a great deal. There is no way to get this to be free unless they load your phone with ads after every call (which I would probably be ok with so long as it didn't slow things down), or some billionaire feels like being extremely charitable. Is it for everyone? No. Is it worth it? Well, you decide. If you make local and/or in state/country calls (not sure how long distance and rates work for other countries) then it is probably not for you. If you make calls OUTSIDE of the country fairly frequently (enough that you would accrue more than $10.00 in charges per month from your mobile phone provider) it is more than worth it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (09-01-2008)

tmobile had an upgrade for HTC phones to switch btw cellular and wifi. It was a $10 added to ur cell plan.

It will make sense if this kicks off. As for the charge? Nope not for me. I plan too much money for a family plan, Internet plan, two home phones, cable already.

I add truphone bcos I read it here on this tread. I can use that for international calls and just charge it when needed. It cell calls don't carry over to the app.

When do we get a skype client (like fring was for 1.1.4)??? All of this VOIP apps that cost a lot of $$ do not make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    People saying this isn;t worth it are missing a few HUGE poits. Fist of all VOIP is still a service, they need to support this service. it is just like any other VOIP, and needs am infrastructure. Also, for people making INTERNATIONAL CALLS (I frequently call Hungary) this is a GREAT deal. The first minute costs you money and the rest are free. At $00.50-$1.00+ per minute (depending on where you call OUT OF THE COUNTRY) this can be a HUGE savings. $00.50 a minute would be just 20 minutes a month talk time to already accrue $10.00 in fees. The first fee of $30.00 is probably just to help recoup the costs of the infrastructure needed to get a VOIP system in place. My mom has a VOIP system that is like skype and she is paying about $30.00 a month for unlimited local and continental (within the 48 states) long distance and something like $00.35/minute for her calls to Hungary.

Bottom line is for a VOIP service this is a great deal. There is no way to get this to be free unless they load your phone with ads after every call (which I would probably be ok with so long as it didn't slow things down), or some billionaire feels like being extremely charitable. Is it for everyone? No. Is it worth it? Well, you decide. If you make local and/or in state/country calls (not sure how long distance and rates work for other countries) then it is probably not for you. If you make calls OUTSIDE of the country fairly frequently (enough that you would accrue more than $10.00 in charges per month from your mobile phone provider) it is more than worth it.
    Skype to Skype is free. Why not make this iCall to iCall free?

isn't it? I thought that icall to icall calls were free

The great thing about Fring was that I could add my own SIP settings and use the free internet call minutes my ISP gives me every month, which renders comparisons with this tied monthly charge service utterly moot.

an extra 29.99 for the first month and 9.99 each additional. thats crazy!!!!! i''ll just upgrade my plan if i'm in need that much minutes. people would be stupid to this fee

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How about a app that will allow me to use my current VONAGE acct on my IPHONE...

Great idea, several similiar apps existed with the earlier firmware. But personally, I am already paying 30 bucks for vonage at home... if i could port the account over to my iphone and make calls using that account, that would be awesome.
    Major credit to the Programmers.
    Your efforts makes the IPHONE that much better. Thank You! Without you, There is no Us!!

I believe in beta testing for free and paying for Smooth integrated, Compatible, and functioning Apps.

whats the point of this? the iphone has a phone, why do you need to talk over wifi? i dont get it
    The point is that it is suppose to reduce the cost of your regular talk over the cellular network. Using wifi you can make long distance calls for a lot cheaper or in skypes case you can talk to people over long distance for free as long as they have skype too which is over the internet. Basically it suppose to save you money by using your or someones wireless internet connection instead of the cellular network.

iCall to iCall is free. I think. On the Desktop only?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast