+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UNLOCKING iPHONE SOFTWARE

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    iPhoned Home
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrlederer View Post
    I just replayed the video supposedly proving beyond doubt that the software modification to unlock the iPhone is for real and working.

Am I the only one that sees that this is most likely ********? I mean, really guys, unless I am missing something major here, couldn't this have been made the day that the tutorial for how to change the carrier logo became available?!? For one thing, that video showed no modding process, and further wants us to think that putting in a Cingular SIM card would change the carrier logo?!? Anyone who's changed the logo knows that there are two particularly named PNG files that comprise that logo, so why would some random TMobile SIM card have iPHone formatted Carrier Display Logos???

The fact that suddenly these two unknowns are in possession of the holy grail of iPhone Hacks is itself unbelievable, since the geniuses that supply the guides currently on this site who also live in the #irc iphone hacking domains have been working perilously for the past weeks. I would expect, if anyone, those iphone junkies to discover the method to make this work. It just seems too convenient that overnigt a lawyer called and now they delay...blah blah blah...

Please let me know if i am way off here. Did I miss something in the video that actually held merit and DID prove that it wasn't a fake generated by placing a sticker to make teh ATT SIM card appear to e a TMobile Sim CArd. I just don't get it...this is probably the biggest hoax to hit the iPhone community yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I am curious beyond all reason to know if it's me who doesn't see it or if I have company that share this mentality.

thanks for reading this long post,
    hope everyone enjoys the remainder of their weekend!

--jonathan
    The PNG for Tmobile, Vodafone, Cingular and AT&T are all included in the file system of every iPhone. You have to remember they planned on releasing it in Europe later this year. In that case, swapping the appopiate SIM card in would change the carrier logo to represent what network it was currently connected to. I know on my old Moto v398 the field test option would show what network you were connected to, I assume the iPhone field test functions in a similar fashion but I wouldn't know since I've never looked at it. If I am right about that all Ryan at Engadget has to do is bring up the field test menu. I don't see that being easily hacked at this point.

Thanks

is it a huge conspiracy? to trick people into thinking the iphone is unlocked? The Truth Is Out There (jrlederer). Trust No One! YOU WATCH X-FILES TOO MUCH!

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool yall are tripping
    att will back off a soon the release of the iphone in germany,just got to wait i guess....

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d View Post
    Hahaha!! I like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stealth1029's Avatar
    Thanks

Can someone buy it and torrent it for the rest of us? (Please don't ban me if I said something illegal)

Quote Originally Posted by jrlederer View Post
    I just replayed the video supposedly proving beyond doubt that the software modification to unlock the iPhone is for real and working.

Am I the only one that sees that this is most likely ********? I mean, really guys, unless I am missing something major here, couldn't this have been made the day that the tutorial for how to change the carrier logo became available?!? For one thing, that video showed no modding process, and further wants us to think that putting in a Cingular SIM card would change the carrier logo?!? Anyone who's changed the logo knows that there are two particularly named PNG files that comprise that logo, so why would some random TMobile SIM card have iPHone formatted Carrier Display Logos???

The fact that suddenly these two unknowns are in possession of the holy grail of iPhone Hacks is itself unbelievable, since the geniuses that supply the guides currently on this site who also live in the #irc iphone hacking domains have been working perilously for the past weeks. I would expect, if anyone, those iphone junkies to discover the method to make this work. It just seems too convenient that overnigt a lawyer called and now they delay...blah blah blah...

Please let me know if i am way off here. Did I miss something in the video that actually held merit and DID prove that it wasn't a fake generated by placing a sticker to make teh ATT SIM card appear to e a TMobile Sim CArd. I just don't get it...this is probably the biggest hoax to hit the iPhone community yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I am curious beyond all reason to know if it's me who doesn't see it or if I have company that share this mentality.

thanks for reading this long post,
    hope everyone enjoys the remainder of their weekend!

--jonathan
    It changes dynamically if it doesn't have an image for it. When I went to Mexico for the summer, it changed to TelCel GSM, yet it does not have a telcel carrier logo in the iPhone. That should prove something.
    Last edited by Stealth1029; 08-26-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcuserforever View Post
    is it a huge conspiracy? to trick people into thinking the iphone is unlocked? The Truth Is Out There (jrlederer). Trust No One! YOU WATCH X-FILES TOO MUCH!
    ...and the 9-11 takedown of the twin towers was perpetrated by a bunch of people who live in caves in Afghanistan -- the government had no involvement whatsoever.

I am not a big believer, in general, of conspiracy theories and such. Since we're touching on the topic, everyone should go watch a short documentary available on google video called "Loose Change, 2nd Edition". I cannot verify that any of this is absolutely true, but I urge everyone here to watch this short and judge for yourselves thereafter.

That is all. FWIW I have never really been able to get into that X-Filez show, so my paranoia must stem from doing drugs. ha ha ha (just kidding...they're probably watching us as we speak).

take care everyone.
    --jonathan

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth1029 View Post
    Can someone buy it and torrent it for the rest of us? (Please don't ban me if I said something illegal)

It changes dynamically if it doesn't have an image for it. When I went to Mexico for the summer, it changed to TelCel GSM, yet it does not have a telcel carrier logo in the iPhone. That should prove something.
    LLLMMMMAAAOOO.... Are you serious?

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha yea i wish there was a torrent for this stuff. If they ever do release it and I buy a copy (because i NEED an iPhone to work with T-Mobile), ill put up a torrent. Idk if I can, or know how, or am allowed to, but in a perfect situation I would so put up a torrent for you guys!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wannagotopopeyes For This Useful Post:

Ozymandius=girl (08-27-2007)

Banned
    Thanks

Don't laugh so early!I just warry that will they collect the fees in any other ways.
    Though this sound affecting.Looking forward to it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bud I totally agreed with you. You are right

Green Apple
    Thanks

i wonder how much and when we can get it.. t-mobile is the better carrier!

iPhone? More like MyPhone f00fighters's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandius=girl View Post
    i wonder how much and when we can get it.. t-mobile is the better carrier!
    Tmobile is the better carrier?

Roughly, 3 years ago, I purchased a tmobile phone. I wasn't able to get any signal in my neighborhood. These are the highlights of my discussion with their operator:

"....You're not getting any signal? I'm sorry to hear that... Let me talk to my supervisor....ok, I'm back... Sir, are you in an area with trees? Well, trees tend to block the signal...."

Their resolution:

"...not to worry sir, they will be putting up a tower in your area soon, just hang in there."

Conclusion:

tmobile=tards

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer:
    when i say "tards" i'm not referring to the people that subscribe to the tmobile service. I'm referring to the company itself as well as their incompetent employees.
    Last edited by f00fighters; 08-27-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f00fighters View Post
    Tmobile is the better carrier?

Roughly, 3 years ago, I purchased a tmobile phone. I wasn't able to get any signal in my neighborhood. These are the highlights of my discussion with their operator:

"....You're not getting any signal? I'm sorry to hear that... Let me talk to my supervisor....ok, I'm back... Sir, are you in an area with trees? Well, trees tend to block the signal...."

Their resolution:

"...not to worry sir, they will be putting up a tower in your area soon, just hang in there."

Conclusion:

tmobile=tards

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer:
    when i say "tards" i'm not referring to the people that subscribe to the tmobile service. I'm referring to the company itself as well as their incompetent employees.
    I do hope that you do not base all of your opinions on such outdated experiences. I do agree that when T-Mobile first came to the U.S., they had a pretty hard time creating stable service. However, since T-mobile is one of the largest carries worldwide it was only a matter of time before they improved their service here in the states. I, unfortunately, use ATT but I am exciting about the prospect of having choices. To think, I read this thread from my iPhone, but had to wait til i got home to reply because i kept losing my signal while sitting still in the park where my daughter was playing.

regardless, competition is always good for the consumer.
    Last edited by Mann22; 08-27-2007 at 04:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea i agree I think you shouldn't base that decision on something from 3 years ago, but Ive never used ATT so idk if it is any better anyway. All I know is I will pay however much money I can to get an iPhone and this software to use it with T-Mobile. Ive been waiting for this for like 3 months.

iPhone? More like MyPhone f00fighters's Avatar
    Thanks

I was simply stating my past experience with tmobile in response to ozy girl's comment "tmobile is a better carrier" - I was not trying to discourage competition, after all that's what keeps our economy thriving. Another thing, tmobile still exhibits weak signal strength in my neighborhood. Everyone with tmobile that comes to my home has issues with their phone. I guess the guard's gate is blocking the signal this time ;-)

iPhoned Home
    Thanks

I get crappy tmobile service were I am at too but great att service.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If T-Mobile was the better carrier then why didn't Apple go to them with the iPhone first?..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenicIce View Post
    If T-Mobile was the better carrier then why didn't Apple go to them with the iPhone first?..
    Probably because ATT gave Apple the better deal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenicIce View Post
    From what I've read Apple did go to them but they wouldn't give a good enough deal to consumers on service and data.