+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macro Photos With the iPhone. How it's Done

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
all that does is zoom it in, what if i wana zoom out? reopen and redo it psh... im not doing it... u do it... -.-
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

all that does is zoom it in, what if i wana zoom out? reopen and redo it psh... im not doing it... u do it... -.-

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    I know this is off subject, but anybody who sold there first gen iPhone just to buy a 3G iPhone is a retard in my opinion! Still no mms, video record, fash, copy and paste, and the damn list goes on! Watch Apple release another version of the iPhone next year in June.
    And the June after that, and the June after that, and the June...

Some of us have our reasons for buying the 3G after owning a generation 1.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    I know this is off subject, but anybody who sold there first gen iPhone just to buy a 3G iPhone is a retard in my opinion! Still no mms, video record, fash, copy and paste, and the damn list goes on! Watch Apple release another version of the iPhone next year in June.
    anyone who DIDN'T upgrade to the new iphone 3G is retarded, considering you were able to sell your 1st gen for MORE than the 16GB iphone 3G. I made money by upgrading to the 3G, and now I have 3G and GPS. Aside from stupid blanket statements, if you preferred the look and functions of the newer 3G model then it would have been a smart choice to upgrade to the 3G. I think the 1st gen is a better quality phone in terms of construction, but the 3G model seems to have better edge reception and increased functionality.
    Really?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecakezz View Post
    anybody have an idea of what theme he's using?
    I believe that theme is called "Illuminated" which has 4 different wallpapers depending on the time of day.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    awesome thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Good Idea but...
    This is a great idea, as it really really bugged me not being able to have macro photos. I wouldn't try and take my iphone apart but it gave me an idea to use a small manifying glass I had as below.(I found this in a childrens science kit. - Couldn't get a macro photo of it for obvious reasons)

The miniature magnifying glass next to a British 1p piece:

And some pictures taken on my iphone with and without the glass:

MCE Remote:

Without

With

Trident Chewing gum:

Without

With

Watch:

Without

With

The point is, it's clearly a very simple solution. You need a better focused lens. If you can find anything to take the lens out of, perhaps you could put it in a holder or attach it to your iphone case somehow in a removable fashion to give you "macro" shots. I for one will carry this little magnifying glass around until i work a removable alternative. Great idea. THanks for hte heads up.
    NeO
    iPhone 2G 2.2 8GB - VodaUK
    |OSX86 10.5.6|Win 7|Win XP|Win Vista Ult|

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alias_neo For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (09-07-2008), jcrod73 (09-02-2008), karamurat (09-07-2008)

Thanks

Seems to me that if someone really wanted to, it would be interesting to make an attachment piece to the lens and a modified case shell that had a log wheel or scroll wheel to adjust the focus manually even after that case was closed. Just a thought of course...

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.

Thanks

imagine that...he just used a freaking little magnifying glass...lol...and then you have the 20 step take your phone apart method...KUDOS alias neo!!! i'm following your lead...

THANKS!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Funny!

son derece gomik bülüyorum..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcrod73 View Post
    imagine that...he just used a freaking little magnifying glass...lol...and then you have the 20 step take your phone apart method...KUDOS alias neo!!! i'm following your lead...

THANKS!!!
    It's been working brilliantly, I'v been carrying the little glass round in my wallet, plenty of space due to lack of anything (like money) filling my wallet and taking snaps of things i want macros shots of.

I'm currently looking for a tiny glass lens from something, preferrably smaller than a contact lens to ghotto make an attachable version with an elastic band. Saves trying to hold the thing in place and more concentration on taking the photo.

Will post results if and when i manage to make it a reality.
    NeO

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice pics. A bit too inventive for my tastes though. I have a camera that I use as a camera and the phone is used as a phone. No modding for me :P

People can McGuyver anything nowadays...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Nice pics. A bit too inventive for my tastes though. I have a camera that I use as a camera and the phone is used as a phone. No modding for me :P

People can McGuyver anything nowadays...
    Well, that's the point. I have a 10 Megapixel camera that takes up half the space and about only 2/3 the weight of my iphone. Problem? It cost about 5 times as much as the phone.

THe point of all this, is that not everyone can manage to afford either the weight/space or cost of havingindividual devices specifically for certain purposes.

Considering what devices these days can do, the iphone is a bit of a raw deal for some. You only have to look as far as Nokias offering in the N95 about a year earlier.

Was a serious blow for me going from a phone that can do everything I need, and have a half decent camera at hand to boot.

Anyway, to the point. It has been proven again that this device can do more than apple had in mind for it, all because of some stupid little piece of plastic they could have incorporated into the design as a focus ring for a fraction of a penny.

In the end, this isn't about having a camera on your iphone that can take macro shots. It's about making a point.

If there are people out there that can jerry rig something like this in the comfort of their home with nothing more than sheer determination, it just goes to show that either somebody hires the wrong people, or they have an agenda, one that doesn't meet the requirements of a paying customer.

And I as a customer, as well as a person with years experience in the retail sector, the customer is ALWAYS right.

What this says from my perspective? Before the iPhone, apple never had my custom, because of their "business ethics". And never again will apple have my custom. I like many others will make this phone work for me, because I paid good money to have it do the things they advertised it to do.

All I have to say is Kudos to those who refuse to sit back and take it, and actually do something about it, to all those developers working to better the phone, all those working to unlock its potential, and all those saying I want more. Kudos.

P.S. I have phones 5 years old that do more in terms of "the phone is used as a phone" than this thing does. This, this "phone" is a gimmick, a toy, a play thing for those who see potential. Oh, and a phone, to those who buy out of "hype".
    Last edited by alias_neo; 09-07-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: P.S.
    NeO

Thanks

Default Griffin
    Looks like someone has seen this and made a solution for those interested.

Griffin have made a case with a slidable lens in:

Griffin Technology: Clarifi.
    NeO

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Protective case with built-in close-up lens for iPhone 3G
    Griffin's new camera case is out.

Griffin Technology: Clarifi

Thanks

nice.

mtj
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this looks rather interesting, I know when it comes to a major lens on DSLR cameras, one can cheaply substitute whatever lens they have into a macro by simply attaching it to the camera in reverse, i wonder if thats what was done here, im too lazy to actually read the instructions at this point

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I have a security camera that is the same lens as the iphone. Simple non focus twist lens, pinhole camera. It can be adjusted by moving the lens in and out from the sensor to focus manually, but (and especially) when you focus it for macros it becomes VERY sensitive. If you are not exactly (for example) 3 1/4 inches from the subject you are shooting, it is blurry.

It's a good mod if you ONLY are interested in shooting macros, but it will be 100% useless in every other situation. The closer you focus in, the less "General" the range becomes and more precise it begins to be. At macro range, it will only work at that very specific range and have no tolerance otherwise.

Impractical at best.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12