+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Crappy Service? It's YOUR FAULT

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Other Things That May Interfere With Your Reception: -Animals -Plastics Of All Kinds -Political Affiliations -Laughter -Hats -Beads -Human Beings -UFOs Did I forget anything?
    Thanks

Other Things That May Interfere With Your Reception:

-Animals

-Plastics Of All Kinds

-Political Affiliations

-Laughter

-Hats

-Beads

-Human Beings

-UFOs

Did I forget anything?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this sounds like ********. If this was true then my buddies 3G non-iphone phone wouldn't be receiving 5 bars ranging from a few inches to 10s of feet at times. Shinanigans!
    Last edited by loujob; 08-29-2008 at 03:24 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tacoda View Post
    It's Apples fault, choosing the worst carrier called ATT.
    if you put it that way, then its their fault for choosing any carrier...since its the phone itself that has problems... tool.
    Really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loujob View Post
    this sounds like ********. If this was true then my buddies 3G non-iphone phone wouldn't be receiving 5 bars ranging from a few inches to 10s of feet at times. Shinanigans!
    lol
    Last edited by dale1v; 08-29-2008 at 08:09 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoolander369 View Post

-Animals

-Plastics Of All Kinds

-Political Affiliations

-Laughter

-Hats

-Beads

-Human Beings

-UFOs

Did I forget anything?
    you forgot GLOBAL WARMING lol haha

Thanks

This makes absolutely zero sense. Why would this only affect iPhones? Aren't there other 3G devices hooked up to AT&T towers that would also suffer from lack of service due to the iphones apparently power-hungry antics?
    I hate to tell you, but there are people with other 3G phones noticing a degredation of signal in the last month. One of my son's just told me this morning that his V3xx has been going nuts for a month or so now as far as signal. I have seen posts over on the ATT user support forums where folks with TITN's are having 3G signal issues as well. All what you have said here about the need for more 3G towers, too many people sharing the available bandwidth are all contributors. These conditions would only be magnified by a less than optimal antenna.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm in Denver, and updated to 2.0.2 (QuickPwn), and it's still crap on 3G - I've had to turn 3G off just to be able to carry on a conversation for more than 2 minutes - I've done this on all 4 of my 3G phones, and they all have the same problem...

p.s.
    I miss my 2G terribly!!

Thanks

well, i updated to 2.0.2, and the 3G coverage is still garbage. Only 1 bar in most places, and i'm in the middle of a massive coverage area (east bay area, california)

it did not improve with the new firmware

when i first got the phone, i turned off the 3G in the first week since it would switch back and forth from 3G to edge and would timeout for 20 seconds when doing so. and now, i've got it turned off yet again on the new firmware

i'm wasting $10 more a month for this service, and seeing how i'm in the middle of a huge 3G covered area, i'm getting ripped off.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When we were analog and changed over to digital, there were problems because of a lack of towers. Digital sounds so much clearer but when a signal is weak everything just falls off and you hear nothing. What I want to know is why is 3G sooo great and how does it work? Is this only an enhanced digital signal? If this is so then its that tower thing again. Digital TV has the same problem. If you are too far from the transmitter or certain things (even plaster walls) are in the way then there is problems. I purchased an inexpensive booster (Cell Ranger) that does work when its antenna is outside the house but the iphone must be near the device. I hear that the Zboost 510 (that works on the same principle but costs over $300) is great and covers a 2500 square foot area when activated. This means that if the signal was boosted at the towers or if there were more towers then these call problems might not be as frequent. But that costs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I returned my 3Gs (mine & wife's) and went back to the 2Gs due to reception issues. I loved the better speaker and GPS in the 3G, but our reception simply sucked.

I live in a metro area that has full 3G coverage, but in many spots had 0 bars. I might have been willing to live with that if the phone switched smoothly to Edge when it lost 3G, but it dropped calls all the time. In the same spot, with the same SIM, my old RAZR got 3 or 4 bars with no trouble on 3G.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

-Animals

-Plastics Of All Kinds

-Political Affiliations

-Laughter

-Hats

-Beads

-Human Beings

-UFOs

Did I forget anything?
    Lol.. I work for AT&T tech support in New Jersey and in my building where I usually get good 3g (Used to have a AT&T Tilt aka TYTN II) I get degraded coverage. My app store rarely loads up just gives me message "unable to connect to itunes store" This phone is awesome, just wished it had the basic functions of a high tech phone such as:

Ability to run apps in the background that rely on data service like Instant Messaging, etc

Picture/Video Messaging, That's so basic omg

That's about it for now. I think the phone is awesome just don't know how long I can put up with these two.

If I were using IM for leisure it would be ok but I use it to communicate with classmates from college. Kind of like a homework help buddy system. Kills the point of having to open APP, send IM to friend, close app to go into something else and then having to log in again potentially missing important message.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

-Animals

-Plastics Of All Kinds

-Political Affiliations

-Laughter

-Hats

-Beads

-Human Beings

-UFOs

Did I forget anything?
    nope, you got it all. however, here's a list of things that will help improve reception.

1- Tin Foil "Alien Brainwave Protective" Hats

2- Marzipan (do you know what it is? i don't know what it is.)

3- A strictly enforced Non-Carb Diet

4- Ugly Plad Jackets

5- NOT driving a smart car.

6- NOT driving a stupid car.

7- Electrolytes.

...you're welcome

Thanks

i live in calgary alberta and i have good reception. Althpugh we dont have as high of a pop as some places i find the reception very good. Only bad in basements of buildings and even then there is still two bars normally.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Glad i'm using mine with tmobile..havent had any problems with it where i live

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow,

I must say, lots of complainers here. Everyone complaining about ATT, why? The service is not that bad. If it is so bad, then get out of your contract. I have full bars here in Rochester, NY all the time. I also have full bars pretty much wherever I go. Only recently when I went to North Carolina I had no service or full edge in rural areas traveling by car. However, when I arrived in the outerbanks...full bars all day long. I would agree that over populated areas causes bad service but at the same time I would say that its crap. I am still on 2.0.0 and don't plan on upgrading until they have 2.1.0

If I hear another peep about the damn unlock I will kill someone, it won't ever happen and when it does it will be stupid b/c T mobile won't even get the 3g thus making it pointless. Stick to 1st gen.

see lovely pic for proof...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crappy Service?  It's YOUR FAULT-photo.jpg  

Thanks

The plot thickens, My 3G seems to work acceptably at home (20 miles outside a major city). Yesterday I was in NYC and my iphone was literally useless for most of the day. Not only was the issue on 3G but on edge as well. I was in Queens, not in the skyscraper jungle of Manhattan. I could get periodic moments of 1 or 2 bars on either 3G or edge by toggling airplane mode. At one point I got the dreadded iPhone cannot make or receive calls needs repair message. A hard reboot got signal back momentarily. Ended up turning the iPhone off until in the car to drive home because all that network searching had almost completely drained the battery. At one point I didt have another ATT phone to compare with (my NY family all uses Verizon) but I know on past trips, the 2G phone worked well as did previous Nokia's Motos, Sony Ericsson phones I have had in the past.

The very interesting thing is, once in the car and on my way home. I got 2 bars (well it was plugged into the power socket) but I had to stop at a traffic light under an elevated train and phone went right back to "no signal". Crossing the bridge into the Bronx phone went to 5 bars . Needed to call some folks and was literally on the phone for the next 1 1/2 hours and never once dropped the signal all the way from the NJ side of the Hudson in to PA. Signal has been strong and consistent ever since.

My point is this all depends upon location. Still an incovenient problem.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

they should have ota updates

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm in Tokyo with a Japanese 3G with the only carrier available, formerly vodafone who thought they could compete here, and fortunately the 3G network is great... I say fortunately because the cellular network sucks big time and there simply is no wifi spots available anymore ( positive thinking... If there ever were any wifi spots...). So basically being on a 3G allows me to get the web and calls pretty much anywhere on the main island, whereas regular phone users from the same carrier get mostly dead zones. I was actually surprised and amazed to get a clear web connection from my wife's hometown... Picture Wyoming in japan and you might get an accurate image of the place. And I doubt they have towers aplenty around there...

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12