+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Security Flaw in iPhones to be Fixed in September

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The security flaw in firmware versions 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 that we covered earlier this week is going to be patched in a firmware update by Apple in September. In an
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

Default Security Flaw in iPhones to be Fixed in September
    The security flaw in firmware versions 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 that we covered earlier this week is going to be patched in a firmware update by Apple in September.

In an email to MacWorld Apple representitive Jennifer Bowcock aknowledged the security flaw saying “The minor iPhone security issue which surfaced this week is fixed in a software update which will be released in September.”

Bowcock also offered the same advice we did to iPhone users concerned with the security flaw. You can set you double tap the home button to take you to the home screen. This way the double tap will take you to the lock screen, which is the homes creen when your iPhone is locked.

If you aren't familiar with this security flaw first, password protect your phone and lock it. Then slide to unlock and do this:

1. Tap emergency call.
    2. Double tap the home button.

Done. You are now in your favorites. This seems like a feature, because you may want to have emergency number in your favorites for quick dial. The security problem here is double. The first: anyone picking up your phone can make a call to anyone in your favorites. On top of that, this also opens access to your full Address Book, the dial keypad, and your voice mail.

[via macworld]
    Last edited by Cody Overcash; 08-28-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Well thats good. Kinda weird that this flaw happened. Not a lot of changes happened between 2.0 and 2.0.1 that I remember.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool, saw it on iClarified as well, 2.1 better be a really good update
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 08-28-2008 at 04:23 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

of course, if you've got your phone set up to go to the ipod controls on a home-button double tap (which is nice because it will pop up the ipod controls with the phone locked), this "backdoor" will only take you to the ipod controls.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

2.0.0 does the same thing i just tried it out...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

another firmware in september? what is it with Apple? I used to think they released qulaity bug free OS'. I guess its not the same anymore. Hopefully they'll add a video recordin feature and MMS as i have no problems with this security flaw. I set mine to "ipod controls"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I just love my iPhone, don't care about firmware updates, unless they mess with my Cydia and Installer.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bj1888 View Post
    of course, if you've got your phone set up to go to the ipod controls on a home-button double tap (which is nice because it will pop up the ipod controls with the phone locked), this "backdoor" will only take you to the ipod controls.
    It only works if you've got the settings to "Favourites". Otherwise your fine

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

haha video recorder for the iphone I doubt that very much. Apple "The Next iPhone now with video recording" I can see it now lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pechon View Post
    I just love my iPhone, don't care about firmware updates, unless they mess with my Cydia and Installer.
    You should, there are proven bug fixes and small issues resolved in later firmwares.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this def needs to be fixed