+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Huge Secuirty Flaw in firmware 2.0.1 and 2.0.2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Am I the only one who actually likes this? I've set it to iPod and now I can access my tunes without typing my pin this means my friends can
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Conn18's Avatar
    Thanks

Am I the only one who actually likes this? I've set it to iPod and now I can access my tunes without typing my pin this means my friends can browse my music without me worrying that they're looking at my pics etc

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    D'oh!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Clarification
    Just read the post and put a pin on my 2.0.2 iPhone 3G. I hit emergancy call and then double tap home. I get taken to my favorites but I DON'T have access to the keypad, contacts or voicemail, just my favorites list. I do though have access to the contacts list through the email app when its locked.
    Last edited by nebulis; 08-27-2008 at 02:28 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone straightryder's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corizzle View Post
    am i the only one that likes this? i don't have to enter my code to call my home phone or my job. LOVE IT!
    HALAIRIOUS!!!

My coffee went through my nose. Your a basterd!!! LOL

Thanks

Yes this is a little hassle, but I have my double tap home button set to iPod, so if someone does this, they'll only be able to listen to my songs

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What a great new feature! And we thought all we had to talk about is the slowness of the 3G network.......... The iPhone is certainly a diamond in the rough!

Thanks

Never mind...
    Last edited by hartphoto; 08-27-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks

Just install "LockDown" from Cydia and password lock all your apps that you're worried about... problem solved!
    Last edited by TheOnlyest; 08-27-2008 at 02:49 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i personally am not too worried about this, i don't see any point in password protecting my phone anyways, it just makes it that much mroe of a hassel to use the phone, however, again its kinda nice, this flaw,

if its protected, i can still use double tap to control the ipod on the fly, or make a quick call with out letting someone totally at the phone (should have been the point)

looks like it'll need fixing but it just seems some ppl are just making this a bigger deal then it really is IMHO

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphoneroeth's Avatar
    Thanks

and I don't even have mine locked!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

now if you aint got no favorites you dont have to worry about anything. and plus the people that steal this iphone from me probably dont know jack **** about it.

Thanks

I like it no big deal. Some people like to make it to something bigger then it is. Look at it this way you get to an accedent if it's a car or just taking a walk, you hurt yourself bad and poilce comes to help you have no id on you forgot it or want ever yes we all forget or wallets sometimes. Ok so all you got is your phone poilce can go in and look for I.C.E. Or anyone close to you. That's what I think it's used for.

Thanks

in a way I kind a like it because when my phone is lock I can make a quick call to the people in my favorites

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    The person or people who found this out should have kept it to themselves and told Apple.

Now everyone knows it
    Concurrent!

Thanks

flaw....? More like FAIL
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
    it just seems some ppl are just making this a bigger deal then it really is IMHO
    I agree. I don't see how this could really be a problem unless you always leave your phone lying around in public, or if you let random people use your phone. If your phone gets stolen, the majority of people would probably just try to resell it without even bothering to look at your information. It's not nearly as big of a problem as it's being made out to be.

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Thanks

I've seen the same response all over the net, and it annoys me: "it's not a big deal"
    It's a big problem. This phone is supposed to be approaching:
    Enterprise-ready.
    that means: Security please.

For Average Joe, having the ability to access contacts and mail through unofficial means may not be a big deal to:
    Average Joe

For an enterprise who send plenty of confidential emails to employees a day, or a businessman with clients contact details on his phone, having the ability to access private data like this is NOT ON.

Of the millions of iPhone users globally, can we all really say (with confidence) that all of them will be Average Joe's and that all of them will be kind, pure and just? Please.

I think some of us need to step out of "everything-is-happy-and-perfect-in-Apple-Land" and start looking at the circumstances and possible consequences of leaving gaps in software that take place in the Real World.
    Last edited by dale1v; 08-27-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
    I agree. I don't see how this could really be a problem unless you always leave your phone lying around in public, or if you let random people use your phone. If your phone gets stolen, the majority of people would probably just try to resell it without even bothering to look at your information. It's not nearly as big of a problem as it's being made out to be.

Matt
    Yeah I really dont see an issue with this. I dont know Id consider it a security breach either. I guess its really no more of a breach then leaving your wallet on the table and walking away. No one in the right mind would really do this, just as I dont leave this phone on my desk or if it left out its at home, and surely my wife wouldnt steal mine since she has one

Although I think its informative and I did change it from my favorites to just the home screen as suggested. It also reminded me to turn off ipod controls, because nothing is more aggrevating than having the ipod run all day in my pocket because I accidentally somehow double tapped the home key. (which ive done a few times and drained my battery )

Was this an attempt at a "back door" just in case someone forgot their password and they dont have to reload the firmware? ( I doubt it but it comes to mind) Or do they have ethical hacks that can get through that?

Also is this extremely important person with these highly classified contacts addresses etc etc so easily available that someone who wants this info can get close enough to physically steal it? Why not instead of going through that much trouble just hack into their computer where they sync and steal it from their address book iTunes syncs to. Or just hack into their email account that they use for this information. You would certainly know about itunes if you knew about favorites and keys to get to those favorites.
    From my experience anything dealing with sensitive information was communicated using a VPN, with a keychain that shows a code changing every 8 minutes.

So again, this is why I say "its not that big of a deal"
    Last edited by Muggz5; 08-27-2008 at 04:33 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't imagine many people who are in a position where confidentiality and security are of the utmost importance, actually using an iPhone as their primary means of information transfer.

That being said. A security risk is still present and must be remedied. Regardless of the number of people who may perceive it as such.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do you remember the sunburst dock made by nate true? lol. back in 1.1.* you click on emergancy call and the sunburst appears to allow access to your whole phone lol. I dont know but it kinda reminds me of this.