+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Reception "Completely Normal!"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I've had a couple dropped calls, but I wouldn't blame it on AT&T. Service is not a perfect thing. You will have dropped calls no matter what provider you have.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've had a couple dropped calls, but I wouldn't blame it on AT&T. Service is not a perfect thing. You will have dropped calls no matter what provider you have. It all comes down to where you are trying to make calls.

Cell service is a line of sight signal and has a finite range. If there is something between you and the cell tower(buildings, hills/mountains, etc), or if you are on the edge of the service area, you might experience poor service and/or dropped calls.

Is it AT&T's fault? Not really. It's just the way the service works. And it's the same for ANY other carrier.

Thanks

Cell service is a line of sight signal and has a finite range. If there is something between you and the cell tower(buildings, hills/mountains, etc), or if you are on the edge of the service area, you might experience poor service and/or dropped calls.
    This is what I was getting at with my above post although I made it sound like it was ATT's fault. i suppose the better question is this, is 3G signal more sensitive to line of sight issues than edge?

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I stay in pauls valley, and Ada Oklahoma which are both pretty small towns, and i have the 2g iphone and i hardly ever really have reception issues.. So i dont think its att in my area.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

perfect reception here in outerbanks NC and rochester NY. Had 3G full bars full 12 hour drive and still do. Not a single dropped call or anything. Same with my fam and girlfriend

Thanks

i like the first Gen Iphone ... is like godlike phone.. still wonder if i will get 3G..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had a call drop twice yesterday with full bars on a 3g signal!! The other person I was talking too has a iphone that had full signal as well!!!! AT&T is the problem!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I live in phoenix, az... and quite honestly... i have full signal strength virtually everywhere ive gone... i live in tempe and work in chandler and frequent scottsdale for nightlife... never once have i had a problem with holding reception... the only time i drop a call is if im in a store like best buy with a boatload of electronics running or if im in a place like whole foods thats kind of a big wearhouse type building... even if i turn the 3g off so im back to 2g, i still dont have any better signal so its not the 3g part of at&t here in phoenix, its just the standard low signal strength inside of certain buildings problems... my 3g speeds here in az are virtually like being on wireless internet... while im at work talking to people i can be on my phone fooling around and the internet on my phone and on my work computer are very comparable.

Thanks
    NOT iPhone functionality, JUST iPhone ANTENNA is OK. there's a difference...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm on O2 in the UK and I must admit that the reception is flawless, I'm never out of signal unless I'm way out in the country side then the iPhone drops the 3G for the cellular network

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Whatever........... It sure don't work like it does on the TV Commercials! I mean, come on, that iphone commercial (played during the Olympics) where they zip thru a few sites... mine has never come even close. Even with full bars on the 3G network, right next to the tower do I ever get any of those speeds. Has anyone been able duplicate those speeds shown on the 3G commercials? And those Sweeds can test all they want, but here in the US I haven't heard of any real comparisons with other phones. Not to say that they are not out there....... just have not heard of any.
    Last edited by jayson9; 08-26-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks

I don't blame AT&T becuase when I had the 1st gen my reception was fine. Also, for a short time I had the LG shine and had no problems with that. But I have major problems with the iPhone's 3G. I love the iPhone, but it's really starting to piss me off. There have been plenty of times lately when it says that I have reception, and I still sit forever waiting for the maps to show up or the page to download. I have been met plenty of times by the "there is no connection" message, or whatever it is that is similar to that. How should that be possible if I have bars that say I should have reception. There are also other times wheni just get sick of trying with the 3G and shut it off, and then EDGE is faster! WTF?

I don't blame AT&T becuase when I had the 1st gen my reception was fine. Also, for a short time I had the LG shine and had no problems with that. But I have major problems with the iPhone's 3G. I love the iPhone, but it's really starting to piss me off. There have been plenty of times lately when it says that I have reception, and I still sit forever waiting for the maps to show up or the page to download. I have been met plenty of times by the "there is no connection" message, or whatever it is that is similar to that. How should that be possible if I have bars that say I should have reception. There are also other times wheni just get sick of trying with the 3G and shut it off, and then EDGE is faster! WTF?
    Last edited by andypropaganda; 08-26-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yea i doubt it's the phone issue, more like signal issues...
    cause (at least for me) when 3G signal is good, it's GOOD...fast downloads, clear calls, etc..

i thought this was obvious but after reading some ppl's comments, i'm not sure if everyone here realize this:
    when 3G is 'available' it'll try to use that to make calls, so when it's not strong, thats how you get dropped calls.
    GSM signal is completely separate. so when your 3G signal is not so strong, just turn it off, you'll hopefully get strong GSM signal.

those having signal issues, dropped calls, and wishing to have 1st gen iphone back:
    ***TURN OFF 3G on your phone!!!***

you'll get signal, no dropped calls, and your phone will behave as the 1st gen (not to mention longer battery life)

be patient, i'm sure with time, they'll improve the 3G network.
    remember that the states are relatively behind in the mobile internet world...

moreover, i used to be on T-mobile, i can assure you that AT&T's EDGE network is still MUCH faster than t-mobile's....which didn't work half of the time.
    count your blessings!
    Last edited by spam_artist; 08-26-2008 at 11:52 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

A friend of mine running an iPhone 3G 8GB with AT&T standing next to me while Im on EDGE unlimited TMobile 2G 8GB iPhone here in dallas tx. Was literally equal if not slower downloading the same page as I. This happened on a regualr basis. I had all Bars while he had 2 of 5.

So we decided to lock my phone back up and restore to a factory 2.0.1 and activated it with his gf's sim card via itunes. I then JB it and made sure I had the same apps, settings other than the difference between 3G and 2G phones. Then we went to MMi and I still was able to load faster then his 3G. (6 out of 10 times) I still had one missing bar compared to his 3 but still, Thats a huge difference to both be running AT&T and one network is supposed to be 2X as fast. I really believe it is the hardware/software issue and not AT&T, other than Ive never had good service when I did have them anyway. So with Apple trying to find a solution for its hardware, its pretty obvious now it is a phone issue not service issue.

Quote Originally Posted by spam_artist View Post
    .......moreover, i used to be on T-mobile, i can assure you that AT&T's EDGE network is still MUCH faster than t-mobile's....which didn't work half of the time.
    count your blessings!
    Thats relative to where you live. Overall for me TMobile has out-performed AT&T in my past experiences and now currently with above mentioned Test. If im consistenly pulling 185-210 Kbps on EDGE Im happy with that on 19.99 internet 2G iPhone on TMobile.

If your solution is to turn off the 3G network, and have it behave like the 2G then whats the point of buying the iphone 3G? Your tone indicates that this is acceptable. So the 30 dollars a month service plan just for internet not to mention higher overall usage costs via AT&T and a new and supposedly twice as fast phone, sometimes. Surely AT&T wont pro rate your contract now that Apple has admitted its the phone and not their network. If they do its going to take pulling some teeth to get it done.
    Last edited by Muggz5; 08-26-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You guys are all idiots.. how is it AT&T? if you were to take any other ATT phone and put it side by sie with the iphone... the other phone would have better reception.. face it.. APPLE ****** UP.
    iPhone Nice

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

O2 here in UK has 3G nearly everywhere, I give my mum my N95 8GB(kept the contract sim for iPhone) which has ALWAYS had a 3G signal at full bars everywhere in England. Edge is in most places, 85% of the time I don't get Edge just GPRS

Which country are the iPhone users from that are having most problems anyway?? Can't imagine them all being from England

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

i just got off the phone with AT&T asking what the problem is like a newb. . lol . . they said they have no idea and havent heard of this issue with reception. ALTHOUGH, he sent me an "iphone update" and claimed that is doesnt have a proper name. i asked for a release date of app. "gotr was released August 20th" ... but it doesnt have a name?? wtf.. WHATEVER. i will give you an update soon peeps... L8 i have to restart phone now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tony8192 View Post
    You guys are all idiots.. how is it AT&T? if you were to take any other ATT phone and put it side by sie with the iphone... the other phone would have better reception.. face it.. APPLE ****** UP.
    Looks like you need some reading glasses and a vacation. You are way too emotional or immature to post an intelligent comment. Try reading back through these posts before you start throwing around ignorant slanderous comments. Grow up "idiot"

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

i personally dont think its is at&t. all the other phones they have get perfictly fine reception and the blackberrys have good 3g. i think it is the iphone 3g's chipset. if apple wouldnt of used such a crappy chipset them maybe we would have good reception and faster 3g. another example of this is a guy on the first page was saying he was having crappy reception on all the Australian networks and the first gen iphone had perfectly fine reception. this to me doesnt look like at&t's falt it looks like a poor chipset to make the phone cheaper which in return made it crap.

Thanks

well i do kind of deeply think its AT&Ts bad because i bought my iPhone 3G in San Jose(408 area code) 2 weeks ago and stayed at my GF's place in Oakland(510 area code) for the past 2 weeks, those 2 weeks i had full 3G bars....but the past 2 days in her place all i get is edge now, witch sucks when i just got use to the speed....yea AT&Ts fault, there was news that they where better-ring their network for 3G these past 5 days with out say...and some ppl lately now say they get 3G in their place...fix'n ay? for some i guess but i got the bad end now...

Thanks

If it was the carriers fault from the get go, then why in the world would apple issue a firmware upgrade to fix said issues? Seems dodgy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lillewis51 View Post
    this to me doesnt look like at&t's falt it looks like a poor chipset to make the phone cheaper which in return made it crap.
    But the phone isn't cheap. Just highly subsidized.