+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
We're jumping the gun a little bit with this post since TextGuru is currently waiting for approval from Apple before it hits the AppStore but this is just too cool
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

Default TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]

We're jumping the gun a little bit with this post since TextGuru is currently waiting for approval from Apple before it hits the AppStore but this is just too cool and we are unable to deny you a sneak peak. The iPhone sadly is missing any kind of decent text editor but TextGuru should solve that issue while throwing in some other pretty awesome features.

UPDATE: The app is now available via the AppStore, at the cool price of $4.99. Grab it!

File sharing
    Use TextGuru File Server on OS X to open up a server where you can get files to your device. TextGuru has a built in server so you can retrieve files from the device using your web browser.

Supported file types
    Supported files include TXT, HTML, PNG, H, M, C, JS, PDF, and TIFF files. microsoft office doc support is being implemented, as is syntax highlighting. It also supports viewing of binary files in raw hex and ascii text.

Copy/Paste
    TextGuru supports a number of text editing features, one of which is copy and paste. Copy and paste works easily and obviously can be used between documents but not between applications, although they are considering joining up with OpenClip if it isn't doomed.

Document Search
    TextGuru supports a full document search, so you can search all of your documents for a certain phrase that may be within the document or in the title. Check out the sexy highlighting method in the screenies.

Text Formatting
    Settings allow you to change the font and font size, bg color, and enable the server. however, it is NOT a rich text editor, more of a text utility.

Simple Sharing
    TextGuru has integration with pastie.org and sprunge, and you can send via email (through mail.app). You can also download new files from pastie right from the app as long as you have the 6digit pastie ID (like http://pastie.org/259251).

Web Dev
    TextGuru has a full web preview for HTML and PHP files and the like. You can save in multiple formats and delete files.

Easy Sharing With Your Mac
    TestGuru can also be partnered with their Mac client allowing for simple file transfer between your computer and your iPhone.

Here at MMi we are excited to see this hit the appstore and eagerly await its approval.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-1documentlist-mainscreen.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-2textview.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-3searchpanel.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-4searchhighlighting.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-5htmlediting.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-6webpreview.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-7image.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-8binhex.png  

TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-9binascii.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-afilesearchpanel.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-bfileshareserverlist.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-cfileshare.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-dfilesharedownload.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-efontpicker.png   TextGuru - Text Editing, File Sharing, Copy/Paste and More on the iPhone [sneak peak]-icon.png  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaMod's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks nice! Let's see if it gets approved!!

Later,
    RaMod
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RaMod For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Look pretty cool but no file sharing between Windows

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

looks like a load of ****! (my opinion in terms of copy paste) all we need apple to do is add a simple 'copy button' in all text-type-apps

press the button and select the text you want (1 finger on the screen and drag) and its copied! simple.
    Last edited by Dingle777; 08-25-2008 at 05:58 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dingle777 For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008), kuhndsn (08-25-2008)

Thanks

apple can't just add a copy and paste button. They would have to re-write all the apps to work with copy and paste. It's not as easy as people think it is, if it was then these people on this app would just ad copy and paste to the settings menu and be done. What can happen is from here out the developers of these apps and apps to come can work together to implement copy and paste to work with and between there apps. Just my opinion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stlcaddie For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle777 View Post
    looks like a load of ****! (my opinion in terms of copy paste) all we need apple to do is add a simple 'copy button' in all text-type-apps

press the button and select the text you want (1 finger on the screen and drag) and its copied! simple.
    Cool! We'll be waiting for your solution!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Napoleon_PhoneApart For This Useful Post:

dale1v (08-25-2008), integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

Thanks

once they get office implemented I will be psyched. That way I can write papers and such when I don't have access to my laptop.

I really wish that there would be a cross app copy and paste though from someone.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to andypropaganda For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This looks pretty cool.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bugz For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW Finally! A genious that knows how coding works and its intricates with other programs... Copy button would be great... So when are you going to write the code???? What your Not? Thats what I figured....

Look I know my reply to yours is a bit rude but before you post consider others! Your post was not only rude but also very degenerate.

-----------------------
    Looks like a good solution cant wait to see it. I hope when its released that perhaps Win support will be included to future updates...

D

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Your post is just plain ignorant and insulting. It is obvious that you have not followed ANY of the news even within the past 2 days regarding this topic, and have put little or no thought into the development implications behind this kind of feature. It's not like you can just add a graphic into the gui and it magically becomes a working feature. And it's not like a program can just throw any information into an arbitrary variable or memory space either, because only one application can be running at a time, and the iPhone software is very strict when it comes to memory management. Every program has autorelease pools surrounding it's code, so the only way to retain data is to write it into a file within the program's own sandbox. This is what the openclip project was going to be based on, but it looks like apple has killed that dream as well.

Let us know when you get this working, thx.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillyDavidK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry to say but i agree with Dingle777, apple needs to make a copy and paste button, and not being ignorant to the fact that its not easy i know its not, but i look at it like this is a multi millionn dollar company they should have the funds and resources to do so...they make millions and if they came up with all these other apps and programs i feel they should set aside the time to figure out copy and paste and mms for all that matter, i mean i dont know about you but im forking out $100 plus dollars a month which apple gets a cut of.....

Im with you Dingle777, sorry if i affended anyone
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mtwiford's Avatar
    Thanks

You obviously know nothing about programming. Someone once told me some advice that I will pass onto you........"If you do not know what you are talking about, simply say nothing and listen".
    Last edited by mtwiford; 08-25-2008 at 02:22 PM.

......epic

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtwiford For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008), WillyDavidK (08-25-2008)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Sorry to say but i agree with Dingle777, apple needs to make a copy and paste button, and not being ignorant to the fact that its not easy i know its not, but i look at it like this is a multi millionn dollar company they should have the funds and resources to do so...they make millions and if they came up with all these other apps and programs i feel they should set aside the time to figure out copy and paste and mms for all that matter, i mean i dont know about you but im forking out $100 plus dollars a month which apple gets a cut of.....

Im with you Dingle777, sorry if i affended anyone
    Um, this is a thread about a third party app that does a whole lot more than copy paste. This thread has nothing to do with Apple's failure to have that as a feature. Stay on topic.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008), kuhndsn (08-25-2008)

Thanks

I knew id touch a couple nerves, just speakin my mind.... ill stay on topic no prob......this app is nice though hopefully it gets approved if not im sure it will be a third party app...
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it's really not that I don't agree with dingle about the need for C&P, I think pretty much everyone agrees on that - it's the fact that he undermines the entire development process with little to no thought about the implications behind what he is suggesting, and says it as if no one has ever thought of this concept before!

Altho in retrospect, I suppose it's possible he just posted that to push other user's buttons ... in which case he succeeded >_<

Anyways sorry about the OT mess, I'll be quiet now. As for the program, it looks even more useful than magic pad, and the idea of being able to share files between your computer and phone could be extremely useful. The html editor is a nice thing to see on the iPhone as well.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to WillyDavidK For This Useful Post:

integra93_4 (08-25-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

looks nice, any idea on price Cash7c3?

Or is it free, I woudnt mind paying for it personaly, looks like a lot of hard work has gone into it.

IphoneCrazy

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

I believe either $9.99 or $5.99 are the prices. Its definitely worth both - the app is very useful for anyone who works with text documents often (students, web developers, app developers).

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

This is interesting, Lets see if Apple approves this :-/.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats sweet.

Green Apple
    Thanks

can it do autocorrect though? I used magic pad which also can copy/paste but because it has no autocorrection, I make so many mistakes when typing rendering it nearly useless because I have to be so careful when typing.