Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone Details!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default New iPhone Details!
    Engadget has a source who has an iPhone and some info on it:

* The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
    * The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.
    * "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
    * The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.
    * In addition to its dock, the iPhone comes packaged with a polishing cloth (the thing's supposedly a fingerprint magnet, no surprise) and the usual smallish power adapter.
    * The Bluetooth headset will debut in the $120 range, and will come with its own dock for charging both the phone and the headset. The headset will feature a miniature magnetic charging interface la MagSafe.

Click on for more impressions on the headset, browser, YouTube, and more.

* The Bluetooth headset has a hidden LED and is supposedly a very small and elegant device. Sound quality is said to be "typical". There is no clip; like many headsets you're expected to just let it hang out of your ear, as previously shown.
    * The browser "worked well" but page load speeds on EDGE were just as slow as expected. It sounds like 3G users will have a tough run with this.
    * Users must scroll through the address book (or use the alphabet-drag on the side) -- one cannot bring up the keyboard and type in a name, as many of us are used to.
    * Shocker: YouTube over EDGE didn't work well at all, and will basically necessitate use of WiFi.
    Read the whole article...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Still its a pre-launch unit... and also we don't know how big this dude's thumbs are.

I have regular thumbs.
    Since its a software keyboard, it can be updated.
    I'm not already used to blackberry keys - I've tried them as well as the blackjack's keys and they would definitely take me a LOT of getting used to... so what's the difference really?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

I'm not worried at all. I've read some TERRIBLE reviews of many products I've LOVED, so you never know til you actually HAVE one.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wonder if you can turn the phone sideways for texting, to make the keyboard a little bigger

Thanks

No, it's clear that the iPhone does not support texting in Landscape orientation... Although, it can be enabled through a firmware update if Apple realizes it's faster to text in landscape mode...

I figured most of that stuff would happen in the first gen.

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    I'm not worried at all. I've read some TERRIBLE reviews of many products I've LOVED, so you never know til you actually HAVE one.
    I agree, and im sure we are all just gonna buy iPhones anyway and as has been said, that was a pre-release unit, and the whole point of them is to get out all the bugs before launch.
    "Hey, I thought you said that guy was dead!"
    "No, what I said was he sleeps with the fishes"
    Windows is not a virus, viruses do something.