Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
Are you tired of opening Safari everytime to surf your hotmail a/c. Well, me too! I know there are a few workarounds like IzyMail but they are paid and involve...
08-23-2008, 03:26 PM #1
How To: Add your Hotmail a/c in Maill app
Are you tired of opening Safari everytime to surf your hotmail a/c. Well, me too! I know there are a few workarounds like IzyMail but they are paid and involve giving out your password.
But now there's a simple solution for free with which you don't even need to publicize your password. Though there is a very small glitch, but otherwise it works perfectly! This solution is only compatible with 2.0 or 2.0+ firmware versions.
Here's how you can do it yourself:
1. Go to Cydia and install the following programs:
- XML Parser Toolkit
ssh localhost -l root
3. Type alpine when prompted for password.
4. After that, your screen should look like the one below.
5. Now type the following:
freepopsd -p 110 &
You will get a number in the output like one in the screen below.
6. Go to mail application and to add your account tap other.
7. Type in your name, e-mail address (Windows Live ID) and password, then tap save.
8. Now, you will get an error saying Pop account verification failed in the application's status bar.
9. Now in Incoming Mail Server, change hostname to localhost and tap save.
10. Click yes on the SSL error pop-up.
11. Now, it will begin downloading your mails.
12. For a precaution go to the Settings app --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and change the default number of messages that show to 200 recent messages.
Here's the only small glitch of the app. When you reboot the phone, root logs out. So everytime you want to check mail just follow steps 2-5 again and you are ready to go. Hope a solution is being worked upon.
All credits for this wonderful utility goes to oNaiPs
Last edited by sayam; 08-25-2008 at 04:31 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:
461am (08-23-2008), Dixavado (08-26-2008), djengej (08-23-2008), elnekis (08-25-2008), falconeyez (08-24-2008), MetallicaFan1991 (08-23-2008), MooneyFWD (08-27-2008), paolop_ve (08-23-2008), quahog_convo (08-25-2008), rotaryheadrx7 (08-23-2008), [email protected] (08-23-2008), thixtythix (08-23-2008)
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM #2
mmm sounds nice
The Following User Says Thank You to ♻①☛ For This Useful Post:
08-23-2008, 04:22 PM #3
connect to host locahost port 22: Connection refused
08-23-2008, 04:24 PM #4
Gives me error: The connection to the server "localhost" failed.
08-23-2008, 04:25 PM #5
i get differ between 1 vs 2 or sumin like that
08-23-2008, 04:25 PM #6
The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:
08-23-2008, 04:29 PM #7
I got: "Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs. 2" after i type the first line of command ssh localhost -1 root
what is wrong?
08-23-2008, 04:42 PM #8
I get "connect to localhost port 22: connection refused" , if I can get this to work it'll be the most useful tool on my iphone.....
08-23-2008, 04:48 PM #9
08-23-2008, 04:50 PM #10
08-23-2008, 05:00 PM #11
okay figured it out its not a 1 when typin -1 its L, so it -l
08-23-2008, 05:02 PM #12
08-23-2008, 05:03 PM #13
WOW! Constantly impressed how clever some of you tech guys are!
Nice work! Thanks
2 questions however:
1. Why is it downloading old mail, and not my most recent emails? Is that a setting I can change somewhere?
2. What value should I use for the outgoing mail server?
Thanks and keep up the good work
08-23-2008, 05:09 PM #14
1) scp org.freepops.freepopsd.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freepops.freepopsd.plist
2) Reboot your phone
Last edited by byunkangse; 08-23-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: updated plist
The Following User Says Thank You to byunkangse For This Useful Post:
08-23-2008, 05:10 PM #15
LOL it is L!!!! not 1 one! haha
08-23-2008, 05:10 PM #16
mail can't be sent though !
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM #17
okay now my mail app dont open
08-23-2008, 05:16 PM #18
08-23-2008, 05:32 PM #19
wow that took a while before it worked but wow it was worth it thanks its awsome
little thanx goes a long way!
08-23-2008, 05:32 PM #20
Weird, my messages get loaded backwards... so first comes the last messages from years ago