+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone should stay out of the office

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPhone has no place as an office phone, says analyst firm Gartner. This is basically a cellular iPod with some other capabilities, and it's important that it be recognized
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default iPhone should stay out of the office
    The iPhone has no place as an office phone, says analyst firm Gartner.
    This is basically a cellular iPod with some other capabilities, and it's important that it be recognized as such.
    Some of the issues he quotes are the lack of secure email, lack of ability to wipe data remotely should the phone be lost, and the big one--lack of support for MS Exchange or Lotus Notes, both huge in the Enterprise world.

Course, the iPhone does have OTA updates... but who knows what their plans on for this one.

MacNN

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

My first reaction when I first saw the headline and the murmerings of this was indignance. But upon reflection I agree and I think that also explains the policies put into place by ATT/Apple. So here is my prediction, the first generation is clearly being positioned as a consumer item. The next that everyone talks about coming out in the fall, will be more business oriented. Everyone is expected a price drop, but I think not. It will have an increased feature set, better integration with enterprise systems, more space but the price will be the same 499-599. Apple does a good job of preventing the commodification of its products, and in the long run, if they are successful in doing that with the iPhone, it will show the way for the industry.
    Last edited by Cire; 06-22-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

I should stay out of the office as well, I'm fine with my phone staying out of it

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Luckily, my office isn't affected by the lack of security, etc., so I'll use my iPhone for all my cell needs. I think my boss wants to pay for at least the voice plan,too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone editwizard's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really need mine for work yet either - but I'm hoping to come up with a good enough reason to get them to cover some or all of the data plan though!

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

My office is my work truck