+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Planning to Fix Reception

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by 100chris this may sound crazy but hear me out... I think my 3G is being tapped, well either being tapped or having problems with the signal. All
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 100chris View Post
    this may sound crazy but hear me out...

I think my 3G is being tapped, well either being tapped or having problems with the signal. All I know is that one day I was talking to my gf and it just really sounded like I was on 3-way with someone else on the line. I jokingly mentioned to her that it sounded like my phone was currently being tapped, then IMMEDIATELY (literally half a second) after saying that I heard a loud static/clicking noise and then the reception became crystal clear! Either I'm right about my suspicion or that was a terrible coincidence. Since then, I've heard that noise a couple more times. In addition, sometimes I will hear my own voice echo back to me (I'd say something and immediately hear what I said through the ear speaker). Seriously, WTF is going on?!?!?

Has ANYONE else had similar problems at all with their 3G???
    Get a disguise and run!!!! The Feds are after you!! LOL just poking fun... The issue you are having could be cell tower bleedover (thats what Vodafone phone told me anyway... Or too much line traffic. VoiSP phones suffer from this. I had a bad problem with this when I had my HTC touch and also with a Nokia Ngage. I went to England and I could hear another couple having a bit of fun on another line but they couldnt hear me.... :-b

I doubt its your iPhone...
    Are you on a 3G/
    D

Green Apple
    Thanks

Could this be a problem with just certain phones?
    Because with my first gen Iphone I got 2 bars at my house but with the new 3g Iphone I now get 5 bars! So my reception has improved.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Have NO problems whatsoever when I am at work. Thank God I am almost always at work. Otherwise, I was out shopping here in timbuktu/suburb of Houston, and my phone constantly kept reverting back to edge, with 5 FULL bars, or 3g with 1-2 bars. Hope this is just as simple as a software update, otherwise, I am holding off selling my 2g phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi there! I used to get 2 or 3 bars at home with my 2g but no Service or 1 bar with the 3g!that sucks so much!! :-(
    I hope they'll fix this issue in their next update!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok guys heres a weird one for you. I get full 5 bars of 3g in my house, but it acts like I am getting no signal. Safari doesnt work, qik complains that it is not connected to a network so on and so forth. When I go to work i get 2 bars, but my iphone works like it actually does have a 3g signal.

Thanks

im in the same boat as everyone else. I drop an average of 2 calls a day. and i get 1-2 bars signal. and i live around the philly area.
    I live near Philly too, and just got my 3G last night. Ive got 3-5 3G bars but dropped the very first call I made. Havent made or received any other calls yet so don;t know if its a fluke. My 2G iphone never dorpped calls and I have used it all over the Northeast US and in Germany.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Definite problem in my area....ill say it again...one friggin bar at work and one friggin bar of 3g at home. Both cities are shown on the att coverage area as covered but its bull the only time i get 5 bars of 3G is on the freeway....craptacular.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

direct comparison of reception with my old 2G iPhone v iPhone 3G, reception was always good on the 2g, but on the 3 is't nothing short of dreadful, barely get a 3G coverage inside, overall, Terrible in comparsion.....

Thanks

Default Weak Edge and 3G Reception
    Old 2G iPhone always had great reception in Austin. Same so far to date on my new 3G. Both edge and 3G good in Austin.

I don't know if 2.0.1 may have helped reception yet. I upgraded just before going on travel. I am in Tucson now and both edge & 3G reception are often pretty weak.

Talked to AT&T support and they said I was in a prime coverage area and should be getting max reception. Restarted phone (again), no help.

Talked with Apple support and they suggested I restart... no help (again). "Tried to restore?". Don't have my computer with me and not going to do that while on the road anyway, risking no phone service at all. Besides, the plane trip home would be pretty grim without my favorite entertainment in hand.

No mention of the chipset/software problem, but I wonder if this might also affect edge reception.

BTW,
    Noticed that my iPhone gets pretty warm in my pocket when it has lower bars, even with 3G off. I guess the power is getting pushed up to try for better signal, causing the battery to heat up a bit.
    There are 10 types of people in the world...
    ...those that understand binary and those that have friends.

iMac (2.8 GHz, 4GB, OS X 10.5.8) | iPhone 3G (16GB, White)
    | iPod Touch 8GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Interference while talking
    ok so here goes my problem, my gf has an iphone 3g like me and when ever i talk on the phone with her, i hear a loud modem-like noise really loud and its annoying as hell!! now this ONLY happens when i talk to my girl, whenever i talk to anyone else , i have no problems, she never hears the noise..only i hear it....i have other friends with the 3g and have no problems when i speak to them, called att about it and they keep telling me "oh we did an update, please restart the iphone and everything should be fine" nothing is fine!! anyone have similiar problems??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They say the problem may be corrected through software update... does this mean I'll have to reinstall ALL jailbreaked apps after the update?!?! Oh the HORROR!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A couple of sites for you all to check out.....

[Merged] 3G iPhone Reception problems worldwide? - MacTalk Forums

participate in an online reception study....

Participate in Wired.com's Global iPhone 3G Study | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

go here on your iphone and test your speeds for yourself.

Testmyiphone.com - iPhone Speed Test

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3g problem
    guys

i have no problem with the reception on 3g with my 3g iphone, i always get full bar but cant receive any call if i surf the net using 3g then the call can come in, once i close safari then call will go to voice mail???

please help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

nice phone bad reception

Thanks

What I learned about 3G is that the more people using it the worse the connection. I was showing 5 bars yet Safari froze up. I was also sitting in a dentist office on what looked like 1/2 bar and was zipping along.

I upgraded to 2.0.2 and things seem a bit better.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jordo_6's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone own a iPhone 3G in Tasmania with telstra?

Cause I do and I have full 3G reception anywhere I go

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Get a disguise and run!!!! The Feds are after you!! LOL just poking fun... The issue you are having could be cell tower bleedover (thats what Vodafone phone told me anyway... Or too much line traffic. VoiSP phones suffer from this. I had a bad problem with this when I had my HTC touch and also with a Nokia Ngage. I went to England and I could hear another couple having a bit of fun on another line but they couldnt hear me.... :-b
    hope so

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyJH View Post
    Old 2G iPhone always had great reception in

No mention of the chipset/software problem, but I wonder if this might also affect edge reception.

BTW,
    Noticed that my iPhone gets pretty warm in my pocket when it has lower bars, even with 3G off. I guess the power is getting pushed up to try for better signal, causing the battery to heat up a bit.
    Interesting you should say that.

I've noticed in my office with marginal reception that I get a pretty good signal while the phone is in it's cradle (Getting power).
    As soon as I lift it from the cradle it loses reception to one bar or no service. It's not a proximity issue as I've hovered it all round the region of the cradle.

It seems the phone reduces power to the receiver when not charging. Has someone tried to extend battery life at the expense of reception?

I have a 2G iPhone with 2.0.2 firmware. Pwned. Unlocked.

Regards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jordo_6 View Post
    Does anyone own a iPhone 3G in Tasmania with telstra?

Cause I do and I have full 3G reception anywhere I go
    I am with Optus, will be in Tassie on Wednesday for a weeks work throughout the state, it will be an interesting comparison. I live in & work in Melbourne CBD have rubbish reception, mostly with no service, with no obstructions hat so ever.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234