Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple CAN Kill Confirmed by Steve

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple CAN Kill Confirmed by Steve
    Well they can kill apps on your iPhone at least. Phone hacker and author of iPhone Forensics Jonathan Zdziarski discovered a remote url that Apple uses to keep a list of offending applications.

https://iphone-services.apple.com/clbl/unauthorizedApps

ďThis suggests that the iPhone calls home once in a while to find out what applications it should turn off. At the moment, no apps have been blacklisted, but by all appearances, this has been added to disable applications that the user has already downloaded and paid for, if Apple so chooses to shut them down" according to Zdziarski's first impressions.

With further investigation Zdziarski confirmed his initial speculations. "With a little DNS spoofing, Iíve managed to feed my own list into the iPhone and effectively kill any application that attempts to use the GPS, including Google Maps. It looks like tasers are only set to Ďstuní right now, but that may just be because I havenít found the knob to vaporize the app."

On Monday Steve Jobs confirmed that Apple can in fact kill applications at will in the Wall Street Journal. "Hopefully, we never have to pull that lever," Jobs said, "but we would be irresponsible not to have a lever like that to pull."

[via cnet pocket-lint zdziarski]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

Dice-K (08-14-2008), eric416 (08-14-2008), iphonekid (08-14-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Big Brothers watching...

I PHOOOOONNNEE CALLLLL HOMMMMME!!!!.............hooommmeeeee.

this is not right..........

Green Apple
    Thanks

some one should make an app called malicious and see what happens when u try open it lol

Thanks
    that sucks hardcore... kill apps hm! that's bogus!

Thanks

there's already a hack out by Jonathon Zdziarski to kill this call home function (just for jailbreakers)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

If Apple can see what apps you have on the iPhone, won't they be able to see the apps from Installer/Cydia on the iPhone aswell then as it "calls home"? Could they block them?

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone jltdhome's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sayam View Post
    there's already a hack out by Jonathon Zdziarski to kill this call home function (just for jailbreakers)
    What is it called and where do I get it?
    Lightning from the Sky - Thunder from the Sea

Thanks
    Default How to KILL! the apple kill switch
    To disable the "call in" functionality entirely, jailbreak with Pwnage or Winpwn Tool, then add the following entry into /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 iphone-services.apple.com

Good luck! All credit and thanks to Jonathan Zdziarski for keeping the wheels turning, Jonathan Zdziarski's Domain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drew31186 For This Useful Post:

Pcpro745 (08-15-2008)

what does "Call In" functionality Do??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    what does "Call In" functionality Do??
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/1848251-post1.html

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm still a bit confused on exactly how this kill process works. Does Apple have a built in off switch on all official apps that can be triggered? How can they detect unofficial apps and what method would they use to kill these?

Quote Originally Posted by drew31186 View Post
    To disable the "call in" functionality entirely, jailbreak with Pwnage or Winpwn Tool, then add the following entry into /etc/hosts:

Good luck! All credit and thanks to Jonathan Zdziarski for keeping the wheels turning, Jonathan Zdziarski's Domain

where do you add that in the file? Just at the bottom? or in place of something?

That's a good question I am pretty good with computers but I have no idea what your talking about there. Maybe because its more of a Mac shell thing anyone want to give us steps on it or is it a during jailbreak process?

So those of us who have already pwned our iphones at 2.01 have to re-pwn? Is this "kill" feature a new function in the 2.0X firmwares?

That's a good question I am pretty good with computers but I have no idea what your talking about there. Maybe because its more of a Mac shell thing anyone want to give us steps on it or is it a during jailbreak process?
    You can just open the file /etc/hosts with any text editor. Add the line:

then save the file. This works similarly to the windows host file. Essentially it is telling the machine that any application navigating to iphone-services.apple.com will be redirected to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

**You must be jailbroken to access the iphone's file system.**

aww man all my favorite cracked api files =( wait i dont think apis will be affected =P

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    aww man all my favorite cracked api files =( wait i dont think apis will be affected =P
    No they won't. This is simply a fail safe option in case a malicious app goes through and ends up in the store. I don't think they can tell the difference between a cracked app and not.

And honestly, I don't see why people are going ahead and disabling this. The only reason this is on your phone is to protect you.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

alkaida (08-14-2008)

wont this only effect people who update there firmware??? i still have 1.1.4 so i should be good right?

i dont see why people are so pissed about this they havent used it to remove the apps that where taken off so it is obviously a safety feature i hope someone comes up with a hack to disable it that way all you ppl that are so worried will have all there information stolen when a real malicious app comes out and stays on your phone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast