View Poll Results: How is your reception?

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • My iPhone 3g has no reception issues.

71 20.70%
  • My iPhone 3g has worse reception than previous phones.

188 54.81%
  • no difference.

28 8.16%
  • I don't own a iPhone 3g -- I just can't resist participating in polls

56 16.33%
+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g Reception Problems

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Hi all, As title, sorry but you need to know this - I expect you do.. 2G = GSM and works on 800/900/1800/1900 MHz with one modulation scheme (you don't
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Something you *need* to know .. but probably do..
    Hi all,

As title, sorry but you need to know this - I expect you do..

2G = GSM and works on 800/900/1800/1900 MHz with one modulation scheme (you don't want to know but Google it..)

3G = UMTS / 3.5 G = HSPDA (High Speed Download Packet Access, capable of 3.6 to 7.2 meg - I have measured 2 meg in London).
    3G runs on 850/1900/2100 Mhz with a *totally different* modulation scheme..

Generally speaking:

Higher frequencies penetrate solid material (ie brick, concrete etc) less well -- BUT sneak into buildings via windows better due to shorter wavelengths. Higher frequencies also tend to 'carry' less well from the transmitter as they are absorbed more strongly.

So - when you switch 2G to 3G it is chalk vs cheese..
    You will likely be using a different BS, certainly be accessing a different transmitter even if the same BS and the radio propagation on 3G will likely be worse.

In the USA (sorry) as 3G is less well developed it would be expected the situation changing from a good 2G to a bad 3G signal is NO surprise, and in rural UK (as in rural USA) there are (and I am sure will remain) vast areas with NO 3G coverage..

So - there you have it - it is easy to blame the phone and you may be right but there are a lot more issues as I am sure many of you know..

End of lecture

BTW I have no 2G / 3G problems here in UK!

PS I am a radio amateur (HAM for US) and have also worked in Radio so I do know a bit what I am talking about.. ;-)
    Last edited by radiomean; 02-19-2009 at 01:39 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to radiomean For This Useful Post:

confucious (03-03-2009)

Thanks

Couldn't have put it better myself (apart from adding GSM on 850Mhz in parts of the Americas and T-Mob in the US us 1700Mhz for 3G which is why it's not compatable with the iPhone), I know there are some other weird and wonderful frequencies used in small corners of the world but basically radiomean's summed it up quite nicely.

Thanks.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm in Canada on the Rogers 3g network in the bottom of a 4 level parkade writing this. I have three bars 3g signal. I think it has a lot to do with the carrier. My Razr was worse than my iPhone. None of my friends have iPhone reception issues.

People just need to relax. This phone can't do everything. Don't expect it to be perfect and you will enjoy it more.

iPhone? More like MyPhone newyork0900's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 8gb iphone 3g on 3 (UK network). The signal is poor in places, especially at home. I am looking at changing to T mobile or O2.

Because my phone is jailbroken and has yellowsnow, I can't turn the 3g off, if I do I get no service. Does anybody know why this is?

Thanks

It's because you are with Three (probably the most useless network in the world). Did you never wonder why they have reduced their prices to nothing and still can't get customers?

They do not have a 2G network they use Orange and really don't like people using it, it does not surprise me at all that it doesn't work.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm in Kentucky in the USA and have many friends near me with iphones who have great reception on 3g and on regular phone calls, however I recently updated my phone to 2.2.1 and since then I have had poor 3g and dropped calls.....I know the baseband was upgraded from 2.28.00-2.30.03 and I am almost sure this is the cause of my problems...I have a few friends who have the same issues and only because they upgraded to the new software....I'm going myself tomorrow to try and get a replacement phone or something cause the baseband, CAN NOT, EVEN IF THEY SAY PAY AND THEY HAVE SOLUTION, be downgraded....

Thanks

Anyone who says they can downgrade the BB of an iPhone 3 G is a conman and should be avoided at all costs.
    As of now there is NO WAY to downgrade the BB of a 3G iPhone.

This may, of course, change in the future but there is no sign of it happening in the near future.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yeah totally agreed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have had 3g reception issues since I got my 3g 6 months ago and it seems to be getting worse. Im on o2 in the UK.

Does anyone know if the change of sim that a few people have suggested would improve this? Although I'm using a quite new sim I might go and get another to see if it makes a difference

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I just got brand new phone and still have same issues I am going today to change my sim card and will let you know if it helps me...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i got a new sim card and now have awful reception in different places, and better reception in others. I think clearly the sim does make a difference, I just wish I could pay extra for one that works everywhere!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey thanks Confucious...
    As you say 3 is cr@p and uses Orange ... but you do get EDGE in rural UK ;-)

But it seems slower than Voda GPRS !!

Thanks

I'm still having a ton of issues with my iphone reception. At my desk with NO movement the signal is constantly going out. :-( Maybe we will have a fix in 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have only had a few dropped calls, however my friends 3g drops call like none other.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well here in Atlanta I can tell you the following:

Back in July 08, I purchased the 3g and reception was great. Moving foward, in january of 2009, it got ridiculous.

There were dropped calls 5-10 times a day, regardless of location and no 3g signals anymore.

Called CS and they stated it wouldnt be fixed until switching to new spectrum in april. They credited 2 months.

Now in April its a joke. The phone will be still showing full 3g or edge signal, and the second you dial or answer a call it turns to the dreaded "o" or gprs, and the call quality is an echo at best.

If its not fixed in 30 I am gone, as much as I like this phone there are other alternatives that will allow a succesful phone call.
    LEGAL

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Hmmm, thats weird I live in Atlanta and mine works great. 3g has gotten ALOT better since I bought the 3g on day 1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What part of atlanta?

CS claimed there were 4 towers in my area, but they reported they were "distressed", or overloaded.

I want this phone to work, but listening to this B s hit news about prospective internet speeds pisses me off.

Can we get the voice calls right first?
    LEGAL

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Once my gf and I had both had iPhone 3Gs. Mine worked excellent. Her's was a piece of junk. It crashed a lot, had terrible reception, would drop calls. Right next to mine that was doing perfect.

I think there are some quality control issues at play here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think you are right. I too have compared signal strength with a buddy of mine and there were varying strengths.

Lets see what happens with 3.0 and the new 850 spectrum deployment.
    LEGAL

iPhone? More like MyPhone popmanbx's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in NY and I only had problems in the beginning and the 3g has actually gotten better with all the updates. I've had no complaints. It seems like the Internet is almost working faster.