View Poll Results: How is your reception?

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • My iPhone 3g has no reception issues.

    71 20.70%
  • My iPhone 3g has worse reception than previous phones.

    188 54.81%
  • no difference.

    28 8.16%
  • I don't own a iPhone 3g -- I just can't resist participating in polls

    56 16.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 3g Reception Problems

  1. #21
    My fiance still has the 1st gen iPhone, and no matter where we go she has 1 or 2 more bars than I do. Also, I drop a call once a day or so now, which never happened to me before. Lastly, my phone randomly doesn't ring, it just vibrates, even without it being silenced.

  2. #22
    My experience with the Iphone 3g has been a rocky one to begin with. We currently use 8 Iphone 3g's. All the phones have turned 3g off and are using edge only. The signal here is awful. When on 3g, any call that has 3 bars or lower is distorted and unusable. We also use exchange push, so using 3g for this kills the battery in 4 hours. Another problem is that the phones randomly kill sounds at will, so there is no lock/unlock, keyboard, sms, ringer sounds. You can only rectify this with a reboot. Safari crashes, contacts are duplicated, apps do not update correectly, and you constantly have to connect the phone to itunes to be able to download an app correctly.

    I was happier with my first gen iphone. But I was able to sell my old phones for the price of the new ones and then some. So there was no loss to switch.

  3. #23
    I LOVE my iPhone 3G. I had the 2G and I sold it for a princely sum, enough to pay for my 16GB 3G outright. I couldn't be happier. The internet IS faster and I haven't had any problems with dropped calls. There are no cracks in my case.

    Honestly, I think that all of this is about expectations. The iPhone and iPhone 3G are something never seen before in technology. Apple is completely new to the telecommunications game. Someone said in a previous post that I should have quoted, "You are carrying a handheld computer." I will add to that, you're carrying a handheld computer that will not only manage your whole life, allow you to surf the internet, but yeah, it just so happens that you can make phone calls too. Apple is great at building computers, and they're new at building phones. I think that people expect the performance of an apple computer coupled with a Nokia or Motorola phone. IT'S NOT GOING TO FREAKING HAPPEN! Not yet anyway. But give it time. In the mean time, start enjoying the revolutionary piece of technology that you are so privileged to carry around in your pocket. If you can't do that, then I suggest getting on Ebay, selling it to the highest bidder who WILL appreciate it, and getting yourself a Crackberry or whatever archaic POS that you were carrying before we were graced with this marvelous device.

    This is ALWAYS what happens when you give techology to people who either don't know how to use it OR people that think that they know WAY more about it than they actually do. Stop whining about it you freakin' spoiled babies. Oh, and STOP trying to use it in TIMBUKTU.

  4. #24
    There is definitely something wrong with the iPhone 3G. I live in an area in New York City/Northern New Jersey where 3G is supposed to be present. First, the 3G signal is horrible; sometimes I am trying to download a small app from the AppStore with 3G and it fails over and over again. Second, dropped calls occur too often to count! For those of you who know New York City, I was in a taxi going from 54th & Lexington to 31st & 7th Ave, and the phone cut out on me three times!! When I change the signal to Edge, it works fine. My brother also has an iPhone, and he has the same problem. It may be that the iPhone is picking up and using a 3G signal where the 3G service is inadequate, and the calls fail miserably!! I have a first generation phone and have not had problems with it. Also, the wifi signal is horrendous compared to the first generation phone. Sometimes I am two feet away from my wireless router, and I get NO WIFI SIGNAL!! At other times, the signal works just fine. The first generation phone picks it up fine. I am not sure if there is a problem with the antennas, with the 3G service, with the signal, or what - but there is definitely a problem. I hope that Apple and AT&T fix this, and hopefully it is only a software issue!!

  5. #25
    when I'm the 3g network i get about one bar where i live and when i switch it to edge i always have full bars and my battery don't get drained. i use 3g only when I get on the net.

  6. #26
    I just gotta say one thing, in my honest opinion these are provider issues. What you have to understand is you can't compare gen 1 iphones to gen 2 iphones unless you are only comparing edge to edge. The problem is not edge. The problem is 3g. You can't compare 3g speeds to a gen 1 iphone because it does not exist on the gen 1. 3g is a completely separate network. At my office I get 800-1000kbps down on 3g, but at my house 10 minutes away I get 13-14 kbps. Office has full 3g bars, home has 2-3 and in some places none. I live in the philly area and the att store that I bought my 3g at didn't even have 3g coverage, so their display models barely worked. With the iphone 3g has come a huge interest in 3g networks which have been around for a couple years now. 3g has never been perfect and it never will be. Maybe we will have better luck with 4g.Just my 2 cents.

  7. #27
    iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a Rug
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    before i respond to your comments i wanted to make sure that you actually read my post and if so you would realize that i also really like this device but was simply stating some facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post

    Honestly, I think that all of this is about expectations. The iPhone and iPhone 3G are something never seen before in technology.
    how is the iPhone 3G something that " has never been seen before"?

    there was an iPhone and there was 3G technology.

    nobody had ever seen a reese's peanut butter cup before 1928 but reese's didnt invent peanut butter or chocolate.

    so .... i am a huge apple fan with a macbook, imac, ibook, g4 tower, ipod, nano, iphone but unlike a lot of others beliefs just because apple makes it doesnt mean it gets a free pass for not being 100% up to par with its competitors.

    your " never before seen technology" aside it is a PHONE and sold as a PHONE and therefore should do one thing better than anything and thats be a PHONE.

    i again want to mention that i like the product a lot and am speaking about things that i feel it lacks and in now way intending to injure any delicate hard core i wish i could make love to my iPhone fans i felt this way when i got my first PDA phone as well.



    Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post
    Apple is completely new to the telecommunications game.
    so they dont deserve to get any constructive criticism because they're Apple and Steve Jobs loves us all and dang'it he does the best he can for all of us.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post
    Someone said in a previous post that I should have quoted, "You are carrying a handheld computer." I will add to that, you're carrying a handheld computer that will not only manage your whole life, allow you to surf the internet, but yeah, it just so happens that you can make phone calls too.
    WOW maybe they should have promoted it that way then. everything i saw for advertising talked about the iPhone as a phone that can doo all of this cool stuff and not a cool little computer that you can carry around and if your getting a signal form a cell tower it will also make calls.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post
    Apple is great at building computers, and they're new at building phones. I think that people expect the performance of an apple computer coupled with a Nokia or Motorola phone. IT'S NOT GOING TO FREAKING HAPPEN! Not yet anyway. But give it time.
    a very large majority of the people that bought the iPhone do not own an apple computer or have ever used one.

    man where are you coming from with all of this? i really hope your in your teens. seriously this is not my usual post and i dont think you will find a flame by me on any of the many forums i visit but i just couldnt stop myself on this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post
    In the mean time, start enjoying the revolutionary piece of technology that you are so privileged to carry around in your pocket. If you can't do that, then I suggest getting on Ebay, selling it to the highest bidder who WILL appreciate it, and getting yourself a Crackberry or whatever archaic POS that you were carrying before we were graced with this marvelous device.
    privileged? i dont know about you but i paid for mine and will continue to pay for it for 24 months.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post
    This is ALWAYS what happens when you give techology to people who either don't know how to use it OR people that think that they know WAY more about it than they actually do. Stop whining about it you freakin' spoiled babies. Oh, and STOP trying to use it in TIMBUKTU.
    TIMBUKTU = i should carry a separate phone for calling people for when i am in non-apple radio convenient areas? come on!!!

    i am going to assume you are talking about me. i would think a quick google of my name would prevent me from even attempting to answer your concerns about "people who either don't know how to use it OR people that think that they know WAY more about it than they actually do"


    man i feel better now. i have not had such a seriously moronic post to reply to in years.
    Last edited by fletch33; 08-14-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to fletch33 For This Useful Post:

    iPhoneMadness (08-14-2008)

  9. #28
    The 3G in the new iphone just plain sucks. Its not the network, its the phone, fix it apple. The reception in general is better, Edge constantly has better coverage than my old iphone. But as soon as you enable 3G kiss all reliability goodbye. And apple, why does it take a minute and a half to switch between freaking 3G and EDGE!!!!
    Really?

  10. #29
    Razz, I get your point. But then Apple and AT&T should say, "use EDGE for now" and charge us $20 per month. Then when 3G is working well, then they can charge $30 per month, and I will gladly pay it. Also, it seems like other 3G phones on AT&T aren't having the same problems as the iPhone 3G. So I am thinking that this has to be an issue with something in the iPhone 3G itself. I am also having problems at times when starting up apps (they won't start), etc. Now I just had an issue when downloading an app on the iPhone from the AppStore - it wouldn't load, and now my music in my iPod is gone and none of the apps will start - that is some MAJOR bug - haha! I know that the phone just came out, and I love a lot of the features and won't take it back; I just hope that Apple and AT&T fix what's wrong. I hope that it's a firmware issue and not a hardware problem! For now, I will just send more text messages and use EDGE for phone calls.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    I just gotta say one thing, in my honest opinion these are provider issues. What you have to understand is you can't compare gen 1 iphones to gen 2 iphones unless you are only comparing edge to edge. The problem is not edge. The problem is 3g. You can't compare 3g speeds to a gen 1 iphone because it does not exist on the gen 1. 3g is a completely separate network. At my office I get 800-1000kbps down on 3g, but at my house 10 minutes away I get 13-14 kbps. Office has full 3g bars, home has 2-3 and in some places none. I live in the philly area and the att store that I bought my 3g at didn't even have 3g coverage, so their display models barely worked. With the iphone 3g has come a huge interest in 3g networks which have been around for a couple years now. 3g has never been perfect and it never will be. Maybe we will have better luck with 4g.Just my 2 cents.

  11. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a Rug
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    The 3G in the new iphone just plain sucks. Its not the network, its the phone, fix it apple. The reception in general is better, Edge constantly has better coverage than my old iphone. But as soon as you enable 3G kiss all reliability goodbye. And apple, why does it take a minute and a half to switch between freaking 3G and EDGE!!!!
    i think we (most of us) can agree that unfortunately there is a reception problem whether it is a 2G, 3G, edge, T-Mobile, AT&T, metal casing, plastic casing, etc, etc, etc.....

    i would like more people to post about what happens when they take their sim card, place it into another device, and stand in the troublesome iPhone area or drive thru that spot that the iphone always drops a call etc... if they did i bet they would find out just like i did that i had none of these problems from my old KRZR to my newer Q9h.

    its funny because every time i think they (phone companies) got it (what i want exactly) something is just a little off. i don't even mean that i am picky because i can live with no MMS or video or a flash or any of the other many things that i would like to see but i really wanted reception to be most important. ooh and battery life LOL just kidding. i have been using these PDA devices for so long that i have decided to give up on battery life as something that i will let bother me.
    Last edited by fletch33; 08-14-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

  12. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    How's your reception?

    While the iPhone has been a great success in sales during its first month with 3 million unit sold, the 3g phone has been hampered by problems from iTunes activation failing to cracks in the casing.

    Add another issue to the list. Service. Many users are reporting issues with connectivity and their 3g iPhones. The an Francisco Chronicle reported the issues of one user. "I was driving down Folsom Street in San Francisco, and I got a dropped call 10 times. I get dropped calls just standing in one place," said Yarbrough, a 34-year-old accountant. "I'm extremely annoyed, but I'm hopeful a software update will fix it."

    Mobile carriers of the iPhone 3g have conflicting comments concerning the situation. AT&T Spokesman Mike Siegel summed up AT&T's response that there is no real widespread evidence of an issue. "How a device performs in individual situations depends on circumstances like where you are in the 3G coverage, how close you are to a cell site. Things like terrain and buildings all come into play," Siegel said. "I'm not denying that people are having a less than satisfactory experience, but overall, the phone is doing great."

    On the other hand T-Mobile Netherlands is putting blame for the connection issues directly upon the iPhone itself. "The 3G coverage of T-Mobile is as good as the competition, there can therefore not lie. We suspect that it is a hardware / software specific issue of the iPhone itself."

    T-Mobiles statement appears to follow the theory speculated by Nomura analyst Richard Windsor in a note to his clients about the iPhone's 3g chipset. Windsor said that “We believe that these issues are typical of an immature chipset and radio protocol stack where we are almost certain Infineon is the 3G supplier"

    If the problem does in fact stem from an immature chipset then the issue will most likely not be able to be fixed via a software. This would leave Apple in the awkward position of replacing over 3 million iPhones or not acknowledging any issues to the detriment of its users.

    Do you have reception problems? Take our poll at the top of this thread.

    [via cnet gigaom cnet cnet some more cnet and so forth]
    you will try to descriminate the iphone 3g every possible way tsk tsk tsk...

  13. #32
    just read this on cnet
    "The issues plaguing the iPhone 3G are indeed related to a chip inside the phone, according to a new report, but the solution could be easier than expected.

    Business Week is reporting that, according to its sources, Infineon's chip inside the iPhone 3G is the root cause of the reception problems that numerous iPhone 3G owners have reported over the last month. Nomura Securities analyst Richard Windsor first suggested Infineon was to blame in a research note earlier this week.

    The good news, however, is that apparently Apple believes it can fix the problems with a software upgrade, according to Business Week. A Swedish researcher who had discovered sensitivity issues in the iPhone 3G's chipset thought the problems would have to be solved through some sort of recall, but Apple and Infineon are said to be testing a software update that could be released perhaps as early as the end of this month."

    written by Tom Krazit
    Really?

  14. #33
    A nice feature for a future software update would be the ability for the phone to automatically switch to edge when 3g is not performing optimally. I'd also like to add that i popped my sim card in to my LG cu500v (which is an att 3g phone) and received what I would consider the same 3g coverage with my iphone. While I do not have a speedtest for the LG I noticed that browsing speeds are comparable to the iphone. Its lightning fast at my office (like my iphone) and pretty slow at home. I tested this with the mobile versions of cnn, google, and cnet. I also experienced the same dead zones (3 in my area that i know are always bad for reception with my iphone) as with the iphone. This is why I tend to lean more toward the network. In fact I get better reception with my iphone at my office then I do with my verizon 3g sled. I wish I could test the iphone on verizon's network so I'd have some sort of benchmark.

  15. #34
    What's Jailbreak? aboudiiiiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    my 3G issues:

    1) Cheap as hell - Looks cheap, screws on the bottom between mic and speaker showing, phone speaker aluminum net versus the previous black better looking net, wider (makes it look ugglier), screen color, even accessories (The Wall plug degraded from the bigger better looking to the standard 1 inch * 1 inch cube, even if you feel the new cables, they feel much cheaper; the earphones don't plug in as easily in their socket, and the MISSING docking station!!!)

    2) Reception wise, it's been alright; I've had more problems with email syncing speed even on my home network. Gmail does not sync as fast. Eventhough I haven't jailbroken mine yet, everything is much slower. For example, on the phone app, touching between keypad and voicemail takes forever (3 seconds)...

    My 2 cents...

    Regards,

    AbOuDy!

  16. #35
    my iPhone 3G reception is so crappy I hate it I like my iPhone 1st Gen so much better I hope they give us phones that actually work

  17. #36
    Livin the iPhone Life 461am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 183 Times in 159 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by aboudiiiiii View Post
    my 3G issues:

    ..the earphones don't plug in as easily in their socket
    They don't come out that easily anymore either, you have to put serious force into it. Plus there's no more satifying click. Gives an overall cheap feel.

  18. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
    before i respond to your comments i wanted to make sure that you actually read my post and if so you would realize that i also really like this device but was simply stating some facts.



    how is the iPhone 3G something that " has never been seen before"?

    there was an iPhone and there was 3G technology.

    nobody had ever seen a reese's peanut butter cup before 1928 but reese's didnt invent peanut butter or chocolate.

    so .... i am a huge apple fan with a macbook, imac, ibook, g4 tower, ipod, nano, iphone but unlike a lot of others beliefs just because apple makes it doesnt mean it gets a free pass for not being 100% up to par with its competitors.

    your " never before seen technology" aside it is a PHONE and sold as a PHONE and therefore should do one thing better than anything and thats be a PHONE.

    i again want to mention that i like the product a lot and am speaking about things that i feel it lacks and in now way intending to injure any delicate hard core i wish i could make love to my iPhone fans i felt this way when i got my first PDA phone as well.





    so they dont deserve to get any constructive criticism because they're Apple and Steve Jobs loves us all and dang'it he does the best he can for all of us.



    WOW maybe they should have promoted it that way then. everything i saw for advertising talked about the iPhone as a phone that can doo all of this cool stuff and not a cool little computer that you can carry around and if your getting a signal form a cell tower it will also make calls.



    a very large majority of the people that bought the iPhone do not own an apple computer or have ever used one.

    man where are you coming from with all of this? i really hope your in your teens. seriously this is not my usual post and i dont think you will find a flame by me on any of the many forums i visit but i just couldnt stop myself on this one.



    privileged? i dont know about you but i paid for mine and will continue to pay for it for 24 months.



    TIMBUKTU = i should carry a separate phone for calling people for when i am in non-apple radio convenient areas? come on!!!

    i am going to assume you are talking about me. i would think a quick google of my name would prevent me from even attempting to answer your concerns about "people who either don't know how to use it OR people that think that they know WAY more about it than they actually do"


    man i feel better now. i have not had such a seriously moronic post to reply to in years.
    As a matter of fact, I am not in my teens. I think a lot of the problem is with people who are. You have to know where technology has come from in order to appreciate where it has gone and is still going. I personally started my young life on a Commodore 64. I think that you would agree that if you judge the iPhone based on that era, it is the equivalent of man walking on the moon to someone riding in a horse and carriage. I am sick and tired of the "instant gratifcation generation" ******** and whining about something when they should be forced to carry the original Analog Moto Flip for a week or two.

    No Apple shouldn't get a free pass.

    The iPhone "triliogy" on the market for just over a year now IS something completely new. Yes, they have had a year to work out the kinks and I think that the combination of hackers, devs, and Apple employees (the last not withstanding) has done a great job in improving the device from the original incarnation. Could more be done? ABSOFREAKINLUTELY! But Rome was not built in a day.

    I am not an "Apple" guy. I've never purchased and will never purchase an "iPod" because you can buy an offbrand MP3 player for much cheaper that will do the same thing. I might buy a Macbook at some point in my life, but I have yet to do so. The iPhone is my first and ONLY experience with Apple thusfar.


    Privileged - It's a lot like your first car. If you drove daddy's BMW, then you have no idea what I am talking about. But if you drove grandpa's 1976 Plymouth, then you might have a clue.


    In conclusion, Fletch (great movie by the way), I have no idea who you are and was not responding to your post specifically or even generally. Every time I log on, it seems like there is another flame post about the 3g, and then the 2g owners always have to chime in "that's why I still have my 2g." KEEP IT! KEEP IT FOREVER! WE'LL BURY YOU WITH IT! I don't really care that you're still running 1.0.2 because you're just not quite sure about that newfangled 1.1.1 jailbreak.

  19. #38
    What's Jailbreak? aboudiiiiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    pcguysam, by purchasing an iPhone, you have purchased an iPod, a phone, and an apple PC. I call it the iEverything LOL

    Enjoy!
    Last edited by aboudiiiiii; 08-14-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Forgot a word

  20. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a Rug
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post
    As a matter of fact, I am not in my teens. I think a lot of the problem is with people who are. You have to know where technology has come from in order to appreciate where it has gone and is still going. I personally started my young life on a Commodore 64. I think that you would agree that if you judge the iPhone based on that era, it is the equivalent of man walking on the moon to someone riding in a horse and carriage. I am sick and tired of the "instant gratifcation generation" ******** and whining about something when they should be forced to carry the original Analog Moto Flip for a week or two.

    No Apple shouldn't get a free pass.

    The iPhone "triliogy" on the market for just over a year now IS something completely new. Yes, they have had a year to work out the kinks and I think that the combination of hackers, devs, and Apple employees (the last not withstanding) has done a great job in improving the device from the original incarnation. Could more be done? ABSOFREAKINLUTELY! But Rome was not built in a day.

    I am not an "Apple" guy. I've never purchased and will never purchase an "iPod" because you can buy an offbrand MP3 player for much cheaper that will do the same thing. I might buy a Macbook at some point in my life, but I have yet to do so. The iPhone is my first and ONLY experience with Apple thusfar.


    Privileged - It's a lot like your first car. If you drove daddy's BMW, then you have no idea what I am talking about. But if you drove grandpa's 1976 Plymouth, then you might have a clue.


    In conclusion, Fletch (great movie by the way), I have no idea who you are and was not responding to your post specifically or even generally. Every time I log on, it seems like there is another flame post about the 3g, and then the 2g owners always have to chime in "that's why I still have my 2g." KEEP IT! KEEP IT FOREVER! WE'LL BURY YOU WITH IT! I don't really care that you're still running 1.0.2 because you're just not quite sure about that newfangled 1.1.1 jailbreak.
    sorry buddy. i have rarely ever even attempted a flame on a forum in my many years enjoying them and i shouldnt have made that post and i apologize for directing my anger at you although i thought you were directing your post at me LOL

    anyway i agree with you on some points and the funny thing is that i get angered when i hear the opposite approach and people that have no idea what a pda or pda phone was prior to their iPhone take this "it is perfect and nothing has ever been like this" stance

    i could sit here and type out every model of pda, pda phone, smart phone , flip phone , etc.... but thats not my intention to show some kind of all knowing knowledge that i have because i dont feel or claim to know it all.

    what i do know is that i have a lot of knowledge on the products that have come in the past as far as their capabilities, features, technology, limitations, etc...

    and

    based on my belief if you take away the fact that it is Apple's first phone and lets say Google had beat them to the punch and its is a Google phone we are talking about they dropped the ball on a few key modern features and the biggest one to me is the most important and thats reception. now if it is Google's phone that we were talking about or whoever would their be more talk about the bad side and less about defending the almighty apple?

    props to apple and AT&T for getting together and bringing a whole new unbelievable amount of never before smart/pda phone users to the market. How nice would it be to launch a product and have most of your consumers having no knowledge of anything before it to base its quality on? Priceless!!!

    i ran a forum for a long time at Qusers.com and when the Q was first released you would think there was nothing before it. however although moto did increase the smart phone market with its launch it was obviously in no way anywhere near the increase in new technology users that the iphone has and it wasnt too long before the shiny new look of the Q wore off and the actual breaking down of what the Q was and wasn't that we started to see it for what it was. the difference now is that you could and can get PDA style phones to do just about everything the iphone does and of course many things it cant (mms, flash, video, etc...) BUT apple was genius as usual in creating a new huge market and filling with simply to use installation programs that anyone can figure out even if they had not used itunes in the past. a lot of the PDA phones with GPS and 3G/EVDO on the market can do 99% of what the iphone can even if it was apple that pushed them to change a couple things like a better browser or touch flow technology.

    the app store to me is what i think really showed what a great marketing company apple is and nobody in the software business has ever taken something that has already been out there for years and made it so easy to understand and use since windows. i believe that they were able to take programs that use to take someone with knowledge to install and make work properly and made it happen with the push of a button and a credit card and WOW.

    anyway this is a subject that for some reason i am passionate about and it doesnt provide me an income or anything so whatever for my reasons

    -iphone is a great device whether 3G or 2G
    -iphone has much room for improvement as most things do
    -hats off to apple for creating new users to an old market and figuring out how to make it easy for them to understand (ever tried to update the software on a Windows Mobile phone? or for that matter install anything with activesync HAHAHA)
    Last edited by fletch33; 08-14-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

  21. #40
    Well, I think that we're on the same page, just misunderstood. This IS my first smartphone or PDA of any kind. I've had the need for one for a while, but honestly, I have never liked the Palm interfaces. The Blackberry, while a very good device, just doesn't warrant getting all excited about. The iPhone however excites me and makes me happy, for no other reason really than I can fudge with it and really understand what's going on, THANKS TO THE DEVS. I am not a hacker, not an iPhone dev, but I am an IS/IT Director and I do some database programming in VB/ASP/Moving into PHP. I have a very broad range of knowledge that doesn't go very deep. I want to know how things work, the story behind them, but I am not necessarily interested in the minutia. I enjoy being able to get inside of my phone and make meaningful changes even if they're only cosmetic. When the iPhone first came out, honestly, I was one of those people that was like "Whatever, who cares?" When my Razor died subsequently after being washed, I was faced with a difficult choice. Get a plain phone that will make phone calls, go to a windows smartphone which I was going to pay in upwards of $299 for, or get the iPhone because everyone was still talking about it 4 months after the release. When I bought the thing, I had no idea about the jailbreak or any of the custom programming capabilities, and honestly, if I didn't have THOSE things, I wouldn't be as happy with the phone as I am. The ability to play Nintendo games when I am on a plane to somewhere without getting out my laptop makes me VERY happy. The ability to get my email without booting up my laptop makes me very happy. With all of the new apps coming out for the phone, the possibilites are ALMOST limitless. When I got my first cell phone(it was a bag phone btw), I was just happy to be able to make calls from anywhere while I was in the car. Then I got the Moto Flip and I could carry it with me, WOW! From there, I went on to the Nokia 5000 and 6000 series where I could store numbers in the phone. Oh, and let's not forget about the Moto Startac and Timeport. I have owned cheap phones, "free phones", expensive phones, etc... Not one of them even comes close to the iPhone. Just the fact that I could be responding to this post right now on it is incredible to me, still, even after owning an iPhone for close to a year. There are improvements that I would like to see, but once again, from where the Cellphone industry / PDA industry / and newer smart phone industry have come, the iPhone makes EVERYTHING pale in comparison. And to think, it's only going to get better. I am on board for the ride. It's a very exciting time for technology and I am glad that someone besides Microsoft, Blackberry(RIM), and Motorola has gotten a piece of the pie. And if it weren't for AT&T's GREAT move in locking Apple up with this thing for so long, the whole damned pie would belong to Apple because the only thing keeping most people from the iPhone is their current service provider.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •