+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 60 million downloads, $30 million, 30 days - AppStore ain't too shabby.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
WoW it never seems to amaze me too see how many rich moron slaves are out there.
    Thanks

WoW it never seems to amaze me too see how many rich moron slaves are out there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It is interesting watching the apps that they are putting up there. I for one am waiting to see Dreamcatchers' video recorder app. Dreamcatcher said they submitted the app. What is taking so long for an app that is so desired to make it's way to the app store while some other apps that don't seem to be as sought after are showing up so quickly???????
    Last edited by sr852; 08-11-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Green Apple
    Thanks
    only one thing i don't like is Apple don't allow oversea purchase... even on software world!
    I'm in Australia and using credit card issued in South Korea. So I'm locked into South Korea App store. VISA logo on my credit card is so meaningless on App store... Even there are only limited amount of applications available so honestly there is nothing to purchase... I checked with my friend who uses Australian App store. There are also less applications compare to US App store. Why would they do this ? I know some applications are developed for particular regions only, but let's talk about games... I wanted to buy Monkey Ball... not available... Solitare... not available...
    WTF ... even many of those good free apps are stilll not available.

Apple made me hackin' ... it's their fault LOL

@SERBIAN

"Also, since Im not interested in customization nor emulators on my iPhone, I dont miss those kind of apps at all..."

yeah.. because you're not interested .. this is MODmyifone.com
    you're totally disregarding other people who want to mod their iPhone.
    it seems you're a strong supporter of App store ..that's fine.. but you shouldn't say "those cannot be compared with AppStore" if you're standing on developers (in effort wise) side and considering their effort to build whole community It's not about money, it's about passion. And I think those free developers update more frequently than App store do. App store surely maintain THE STORE very well in terms of promotion but not users point of view. They don't even provide trial or detailed information on apps... let say you buy something worth $20 with few screenshots and paragraphs of description, it's ridiculous... really.
    Last edited by minhwan; 08-11-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

There are valid points on both sides of the fence here. I agree mostly with what Apple is doing in the App. Store. To all of the Cydia and Installer "Purists aka mooches" although Cydia and Installer are just awesome, all of the developers that create apps, games, etc etc surely would much rather gain some income from their extremely hard work, late nights. I think we are at an advantage to be able to get these rare, new apps. ahead of time and free through our installers, but overall the files available in App. Store are clean, bug free, monitored and maintained by the folks at Apple. I could go on and on but I think Im just restating whats already been said. I would also venture to say most who are against app. store also probably dont donate to the developers that offer all free apps, cracks and abilities to do what we do on these phones. And for god's sake what is so wrong with Apple making a profit? they are in business and this is what you do in business. Way To Go Apple.

Why create a division between "Modded iPhones" and "Factory iPhones"? Is it just something to feel more elite about? I use all 3 installers. Cydia, Installer, and App. Store. There are some really cool apps in the store and have mostly been worth what ive spent.

What the Cydia and Installer have enabled is the lower income demographic (college students, blue collar etc etc) have loads of fun with their phones. Nothing wrong with that at all but to try and justify that Apple is a big bad monster because of what they choose to do in business is wrong.
    And its also enabled loads of hobby developers get it out of a hobby and more into a career. I love what these installers do for the iphone community, so what if apple snuck in there with too? Youre still elite because you own iphones just embrace all of it and quit whining!
    Last edited by Muggz5; 08-11-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I got no **** with Apple and developers making money ... I just want to say these

1. Apple to do the job more properly
    2. Do not disregard others life and thought
    3. Do not mess with underground community
    Last edited by minhwan; 08-11-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks

Wow, $30 million in one short month? Unremarkable! Go Apple! But I agree with minhwan, leave the underground community alone.

@ajustcircle

I just wanted to say that was a great article. Its refreshing to read an article that is completely thought out and has full sentences lol. Anyway, keep up the good work. MMi definitely needs help presenting the news in a professional, yet laid back, manner.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree that app store is great, but so is Cydia/Installer.
    You HAVE to have competition, no matter what it is.
    No single provider will have all the services and options you want.

Green Apple
    Thanks

@ ajustcircle
    I believe what you were referring to in post 11 was konfabulator, which was bought by yahoo and since renamed "yahoo widgets"

Thanks

Well I think that some of you guys missed my point completely...Im not advocating for AppStore against Installer/Cydia, and as I said Im using Installer/Cydia too and I will continue to use those for sure...I was just surprised to see so many negative comments about AppStore and tried to "defend" the other point of view...Im NOT disregarding people who likes to mod their iPhone's at all also...Dont know how some of you concluded that...Also this is NOT "underground community" of any kind..This is the free, open forum which does NOT support any illegal activities...Some youngsters here should note that real, old school, underground community would NEVER bother to hack an app which costs 1-10$ and to cut small time devs legs in order to become "famous" in "community"...

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

so makin' money steves
    RING DA DINDANG
    THAT A LOT

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    lol
    Last edited by r1994augusto; 08-12-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Keep it free - as in Freedom Fries!
    Last edited by jayson9; 08-12-2008 at 10:47 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have to say this i'm really sick of hearing how great the appstore is. i mean it's cool. however the sidekick has had something like this from the beginning. this isn't something new. it's just a way for apple to make more money. just like the ruby thing i just watched on the news, that was a 1,000 dollars. what the h***. come on now. steve is capitalizing on impulse purchases. everyone does it, you see something and say to yourself oh it's only 1.00 but those one dollars add up to maybe 30 dollars in a month or maybe more. which isn't going to break you but imagine 2million others thinking the same way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

$360 million a year? Pssh, yeah, if they keep rolling out the good apps as they did upon release (which I highly doubt will happen).
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danieldeniro View Post
    i have to say this i'm really sick of hearing how great the appstore is. i mean it's cool. however the sidekick has had something like this from the beginning. this isn't something new. it's just a way for apple to make more money. just like the ruby thing i just watched on the news, that was a 1,000 dollars. what the h***. come on now. steve is capitalizing on impulse purchases. everyone does it, you see something and say to yourself oh it's only 1.00 but those one dollars add up to maybe 30 dollars in a month or maybe more. which isn't going to break you but imagine 2million others thinking the same way.

Its business. You open a company to make money. If you have a product that the public likes and is willing to pay for what is the issue? The App. store is great, because it gives us a way to get more apps on our phone not available anywhere else. Why should it be free? Whats the difference from buying games for consoles, buying operating systems for computers, or software for them as well? Yeah imagine 2,000,000 units sold thats called revenue and profit. Im still waiting for a valid arguement other than " Apple is making too much money" its just absurd. And if watching the news is your source for an opinion, I think you are better off doing some independant research. News is entertainment with a truth twist.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danieldeniro View Post
    ...steve is capitalizing on impulse purchases. everyone does it, you see something and say to yourself oh it's only 1.00 but those one dollars add up to maybe 30 dollars in a month or maybe more. which isn't going to break you but imagine 2million others thinking the same way.
    Hmm... I call BS. The developers set the price for the apps they submit to the appstore not Apple. Also, impulse purchases occur in every retail setting. Why do you think they load up supermarket checkout counters with cheap magazines and candy?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Page numbers are needed for academic/research citations. That's one big reason the page number is included with the online version.

As far as the app store goes, as I said on another thread, I've only purchased one app (Veiosoft's Datacase) and it seems like an awesome solution for file serving functionality Apple rather inexplicably left out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muggz5 View Post
    What the Cydia and Installer have enabled is the lower income demographic (college students, blue collar etc etc) have loads of fun with their phones.Youre still elite because you own iphones just embrace all of it and quit whining!
    Are you serious? I am a professional engineer and I much prefer Cydia over the app store! And what is wrong with being "blue-collar"? What are you - an elitist snob that looks down on those without the cash resources you must have in order to make such a statement? I have purchased Kate, Intelliscreen, the premium Customize option, Video Recoreder (which I hope comes out again soon) and many others. The App Store does not deliver in the same way. Crawl back into your Mercedes with a black iPhone background and I'll get back in my BMW and enjoy the iPhone!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think you are a bit over anxious to jump the gun with your statement. First of all it was not intended to be condescending in any way. All I was referring to was the fact that the high price of a cell phone, along with service plan, accessories and applications desired for this phone, third party installers and apps are great for someone that doesnt have a lot of extra spending money to dump in the phone. That is one purpose of unlocking and jailbreaking these phones yes? Otherwise why would you need to develop cracks for apps. that cost money? Second, I wouldnt have bought any of these phones if it werent for the fact of absolute customization on this phone and ability to use on TMobile. If I were such a ***** why would I care about helping folks on this website get these phones customized. I hope you understand what I actually meant, and for you to label me an elitest snob or pretentious is more self-projecting isnt it? Who said anything about cars, or what I do for a living? MBAHarvard. Now thats not elitist is it? Dont be a douche looking for a way to self promote your own "stature" But thats ok just pick out bits and forget about reading further.

But you were right about my backround.
    Last edited by Muggz5; 08-12-2008 at 10:57 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

first did any of you that commented on what i wrote read and understand what i wrote. i could care less how much money apple and the developers are making. i said i was sick of hearing about it. it's not all that to me and that's my opinion. and you tell me news is only for entertainment. so when we watch the weather man he's entertaining us, checking for baseball scores is entertaining us and like I said apple had an app called
    I AM RICH!!! which i seen on the NEWS!!! for a 1,000 dollars that didn't do anything but say i am rich and that was supposed to mean you had money to burn on that app. i guess if you would have watched the news you would have seen it. haha. don't get me wrong get your money anyway you want but i really don't have to care who and how you do it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

App store = 60 mil DL's / 30 days

Hacked torrents = 60 mil DL's / 30 minutes
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s