+ Reply
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PwnageTool 2.0.2 & Installer 4 Soon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by MJedi Is there a way to backup the info/data from Jailbroke Apps, or even the app itself, before upgrading with PwnageTool 2.0.2? Just wondering. I think you
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
    Is there a way to backup the info/data from Jailbroke Apps, or even the app itself, before upgrading with PwnageTool 2.0.2? Just wondering.

I think you just have to find the folder/file that the jailbroken 3rd party app stores its data in and copy that folder prior to doing your restore or Pwn.

Then re-install the app and then SSH back into the phone and replace the data folder/file with the one you backed up.

Worked for me on my original iPhone for such apps as PocketMoney, etc.

Thanks

BIT OF A CONTRADICTION HERE ?

# As always PwnageTool 2.0.2 contains Cydia, in fact it contains a new version of Cydia with some bugfixes and other general goodness, thanks saurik!

# Installer 4 isn’t released by RiPDev as yet so PwnageTool 2.0.2 does not include installer.app - check out the RiPDev blog for the latest information.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm afraid you're lagging behind a bit. Friday the iPhone Dev Team will release Pwnage 2.0.2 which will include both Cydia with bug fixes ánd Installer 4.0 public beta.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

i just saw the installer news. im excited to try it out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williamjv View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but when you said "No 3G unlock" is that referring to SIM Unlock or not able to jailbrake 3G phones?

They are referring to the sim unlock....you'll still be able to jailbreak.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to irishj For This Useful Post:

williamjv (08-07-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irishj View Post
    They are referring to the sim unlock....you'll still be able to jailbreak.
    Thanks irish!

I was hoping that's what it meant so i was in suspence until you clarified it for me

Thanks for the reply!

Will v.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djames04 View Post
    I just wanted to let you know that if you download the .ipsw files with Safari you can just change the extension to .ipsw after it unzips the download.

That way you can keep using Safari and not another browser.

(just letting you know since in the guide for Pwning the 3G you said otherwise.)
    Thats the thing it should not unzip... you want it compressed still when it goes into pwnge

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Busta View Post
    Is it really worth it?
    yes! Installer and Cydia! think of the possibilities
    Last edited by pfcfury; 08-07-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thought I would summarize some points:

1. There is no software unlock available for 3G phones. pwnagetool can only jailbreak a 3G phone.
    2. pwnagetool can both jailbreak and unlock 2G phones
    3. winpwn and pwnage are not the same thing. They are maintained by separate developers. winpwn will always lag behind pwnagetool since it depends on devteam (pwnagetool) developed libraries.
    4. You cannot "downgrade" a 3G phone to 2G they have different hardware
    5. the firmware files for 2G and 3G are not the same (see point #4).
    6. updating a 3G phone to 2.0.1 is not wise if you wish to unlock in the future... since the baseband (i.e. modem) is also updated so you may run into difficulty later
    7. updating a 2G phone to 2.0.1 is safe (and useful since it greatly improves stability) and the unlock will be retained however you will lose Jailbreak, Cydia and any Cydia installed app. you can still pwn when pwnage 2.0.2 becomes available and Cydia will be back.
    8. unlocking a 3G phone is really only useful if you travel outside your home country. Most carriers will unlock a 3G phone for a small fee
    9. you cannot install a custom or hacked firmware unless you have already pwned your phone with pwnagetool or winpwn.
    10. pwnage tool will not run on a windows PC. winpwn will not run on a mac.
    11. when pwning a phone or upgrading to 2.0.1 you will not: lose contacts, lose app store apps, lose your music, notes etc. These are all backed up by iTunes. You will lose Cydia or Installer installed apps.

12. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a normal user to permanently brick their phone! All phones can be restored to a workable state by a careful combination of iTunes and DFU mode. Almost all errors encountered (1602, error 6 etc) are due to user mistakes during the jailbreak/unlock process. Simply do a MMi, google (or favorite) search to find the answer. There are solutions to every question if you simply spend a little effort to look.
    Last edited by imode; 08-07-2008 at 04:47 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imode For This Useful Post:

Dragon RR (08-08-2008), howzitjoe (08-07-2008), lucasps (08-07-2008), SeaPea (08-07-2008), zoblue (08-08-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    Thus thought I would summarize some points:

1. There is no unlock available for 3G phones. pwnagetool can only jailbreak a 3G phone.
    2. pwnagetool can both jailbreak and unlock 2G phones
    3. winpwn and pwnage are not the same thing. They are maintained by separate developers. winpwn will always lag behing pwnagetool
    4. You cannot "downgrade" a 3G phone to 2G they have different hardware
    5. the firmware files for 2G and 3G are not the same (see point #4).
    6. updating a 3G phone to 2.0.1 is not wise if you wish to unlock in the future... since the baseband (i.e. modem) is also updated so you may run into difficulty later
    7. updating a 2G phone to 2.0.1 is safe (and useful since it greatly improves stability) and the unlock will be retained however you will lose Jailbreak, Cydia and any Cydia installed app. you can still pwn when pwnage 2.0.2 becomes available and Cydia will be back.
    8. unlocking a 3G phone is really only useful if you travel outside your home country. Most carriers will unlock a 3G phone for a small fee
    9. you cannot install a custom or hacked firmware unless you have already pwned your phone with pwnagetool or winpwn.
    10. pwnage tool will not run on a windows PC. winpwn will not run on a mac.
    11. when pwning a phone or upgrading to 2.0.1 you will not: lose contacts, lose app store apps, lose your music, notes etc. These are all backed up by iTunes. You will lose Cydia or Installer installed apps.

word. I was just about to write that up lol.

Too bad I'll be up in the mountains all weekend starting tonight... now computer to pwnge with :-/ Guess it will wait till monday

Thanks

2.0.1 lets you move apps through screens faster right? That's what I've heard.

Thanks

This is a great news!

However I am getting tired of restoring back after setting up new custom firmware.....

My question is,

1. After you pwn your firmware(2.0.1), must you restore? (I am with pwned 2.0) and set the phone up as new?

or

2. Update with pwned 2.0.1 firmware?

or

3. restore with new pwned 2.0.1. firmware and restore from the back up (the one takes forever to back up before restoring) so that you don't lose text, pictures, mail setting, etc.

Anyone with experience?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 3GS with w/AT&T
    Technician
    Smart Cellphone Repair
    www.ifixsmartphone.com
    Ask me all your hardware problem!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by todesto View Post
    This is a great news!

However I am getting tired of restoring back after setting up new custom firmware.....

My question is,

1. After you pwn your firmware(2.0.1), must you restore? (I am with pwned 2.0) and set the phone up as new?

or

2. Update with pwned 2.0.1 firmware?

or

3. restore with new pwned 2.0.1. firmware and restore from the back up (the one takes forever to back up before restoring) so that you don't lose text, pictures, mail setting, etc.

Anyone with experience?

Thanks in advance.
    Always "restore" (hit shift-restore or option-restore button in itunes) the pwnd firmware when the phone is in DFU mode only. It is crucial that the phone is in DFU mode and not Restore mode. DFU mode has a black screen. Restore mode shows the connect to itunes graphic.

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK who is going to be the first one to make the custom 2.0.1 file for us Windows user if WINPWN doesn't come out at the same time????

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonemajjik View Post
    OK who is going to be the first one to make the custom 2.0.1 file for us Windows user if WINPWN doesn't come out at the same time????
    There is already a custom firmware available for 3G phones in the usual places...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wohoo i cant wait Installer come to papa. im getting installer back yeahhhhhhhh.
    I HATE cydia, by far the worst app for me.

Long live installer.

Thanks

nice thanx for info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    Always "restore" (hit shift-restore or option-restore button in itunes) the pwnd firmware when the phone is in DFU mode only. It is crucial that the phone is in DFU mode and not Restore mode. DFU mode has a black screen. Restore mode shows the connect to itunes graphic.

Ok, shift-Restore is fine. Then can you use the back up to setup the phone after completing restore from DFU? Would that work?

iPhone 3GS with w/AT&T
    Technician
    Smart Cellphone Repair
    www.ifixsmartphone.com
    Ask me all your hardware problem!

Thanks

why do people hate cydia it's so stupid have you ^^^^ actually used cydia on 2.0 it's super fast and u can add sources like installer and they added a mode where you don't c all the stuff for developers and if you still don't like cydia then I just think you shouldn't mod you're iphone because u aren't open to new things. I use to love installer also and so far cydia crashes sometimes but that's cuz it just came out but it is by far better than the old installer.

Thanks

Haha, thanks for stealing my thread cash: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...-released.html

But it's okay, you wrote more
    I'm just glad it's coming out so soon!

Green Apple
    Thanks

What i meant was when the new pwnage tool comes out tomorrow it will only be for MACS...so if the windows version does not release tomorrow as well, who will be the first person to create the custom firmware file for us WINDOWS cats so we can enjoy the update if we are too impatient to wait for WINPWN....hope that clarify's it
    Last edited by iphonemajjik; 08-07-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wrong quote