Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
Originally Posted by MJedi Is there a way to backup the info/data from Jailbroke Apps, or even the app itself, before upgrading with PwnageTool 2.0.2? Just wondering. I think you...
08-07-2008, 03:57 PM #41
I think you just have to find the folder/file that the jailbroken 3rd party app stores its data in and copy that folder prior to doing your restore or Pwn.
Then re-install the app and then SSH back into the phone and replace the data folder/file with the one you backed up.
Worked for me on my original iPhone for such apps as PocketMoney, etc.
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM #42
BIT OF A CONTRADICTION HERE ?
# As always PwnageTool 2.0.2 contains Cydia, in fact it contains a new version of Cydia with some bugfixes and other general goodness, thanks saurik!
# Installer 4 isn’t released by RiPDev as yet so PwnageTool 2.0.2 does not include installer.app - check out the RiPDev blog for the latest information.
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM #43
I'm afraid you're lagging behind a bit. Friday the iPhone Dev Team will release Pwnage 2.0.2 which will include both Cydia with bug fixes ánd Installer 4.0 public beta.
08-07-2008, 04:19 PM #44
i just saw the installer news. im excited to try it out.
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM #45
The Following User Says Thank You to irishj For This Useful Post:
08-07-2008, 04:29 PM #46
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM #47
08-07-2008, 04:36 PM #48
Thought I would summarize some points:
1. There is no software unlock available for 3G phones. pwnagetool can only jailbreak a 3G phone.
2. pwnagetool can both jailbreak and unlock 2G phones
3. winpwn and pwnage are not the same thing. They are maintained by separate developers. winpwn will always lag behind pwnagetool since it depends on devteam (pwnagetool) developed libraries.
4. You cannot "downgrade" a 3G phone to 2G they have different hardware
5. the firmware files for 2G and 3G are not the same (see point #4).
6. updating a 3G phone to 2.0.1 is not wise if you wish to unlock in the future... since the baseband (i.e. modem) is also updated so you may run into difficulty later
7. updating a 2G phone to 2.0.1 is safe (and useful since it greatly improves stability) and the unlock will be retained however you will lose Jailbreak, Cydia and any Cydia installed app. you can still pwn when pwnage 2.0.2 becomes available and Cydia will be back.
8. unlocking a 3G phone is really only useful if you travel outside your home country. Most carriers will unlock a 3G phone for a small fee
9. you cannot install a custom or hacked firmware unless you have already pwned your phone with pwnagetool or winpwn.
10. pwnage tool will not run on a windows PC. winpwn will not run on a mac.
11. when pwning a phone or upgrading to 2.0.1 you will not: lose contacts, lose app store apps, lose your music, notes etc. These are all backed up by iTunes. You will lose Cydia or Installer installed apps.
12. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a normal user to permanently brick their phone! All phones can be restored to a workable state by a careful combination of iTunes and DFU mode. Almost all errors encountered (1602, error 6 etc) are due to user mistakes during the jailbreak/unlock process. Simply do a MMi, google (or favorite) search to find the answer. There are solutions to every question if you simply spend a little effort to look.
Last edited by imode; 08-07-2008 at 04:47 PM.
08-07-2008, 04:42 PM #49
08-07-2008, 04:53 PM #50
2.0.1 lets you move apps through screens faster right? That's what I've heard.
08-07-2008, 04:55 PM #51
This is a great news!
However I am getting tired of restoring back after setting up new custom firmware.....
My question is,
1. After you pwn your firmware(2.0.1), must you restore? (I am with pwned 2.0) and set the phone up as new?
2. Update with pwned 2.0.1 firmware?
3. restore with new pwned 2.0.1. firmware and restore from the back up (the one takes forever to back up before restoring) so that you don't lose text, pictures, mail setting, etc.
Anyone with experience?
Thanks in advance.
08-07-2008, 05:02 PM #52
08-07-2008, 05:16 PM #53
OK who is going to be the first one to make the custom 2.0.1 file for us Windows user if WINPWN doesn't come out at the same time????
08-07-2008, 05:47 PM #54
08-07-2008, 05:56 PM #55
Wohoo i cant wait Installer come to papa. im getting installer back yeahhhhhhhh.
I HATE cydia, by far the worst app for me.
Long live installer.
08-07-2008, 06:00 PM #56
nice thanx for info
08-07-2008, 06:03 PM #57
08-07-2008, 06:05 PM #58
why do people hate cydia it's so stupid have you ^^^^ actually used cydia on 2.0 it's super fast and u can add sources like installer and they added a mode where you don't c all the stuff for developers and if you still don't like cydia then I just think you shouldn't mod you're iphone because u aren't open to new things. I use to love installer also and so far cydia crashes sometimes but that's cuz it just came out but it is by far better than the old installer.
08-07-2008, 06:06 PM #59
08-07-2008, 06:15 PM #60
What i meant was when the new pwnage tool comes out tomorrow it will only be for MACS...so if the windows version does not release tomorrow as well, who will be the first person to create the custom firmware file for us WINDOWS cats so we can enjoy the update if we are too impatient to wait for WINPWN....hope that clarify's it
Last edited by iphonemajjik; 08-07-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wrong quote