Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Data Plan WILL be disclosed prior to launch, says ATT CEO

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default iPhone Data Plan WILL be disclosed prior to launch, says ATT CEO
    According to a report by iLounge, the iPhone data plans will in fact be released publicly before the 29th. Here's hoping...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

If at&t and apple really wanted to keep the suspense and buzz about the new iPhone going, even after the launch, why not wait until we receive our first bill to tell us how much our mandatory data plan would cost...

...they even could deliver that first bill to us on our new iPhone!

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    If at&t and apple really wanted to keep the suspense and buzz about the new iPhone going, even after the launch, why not wait until we receive our first bill to tell us how much our mandatory data plan would cost...

...they even could deliver that first bill to us on our new iPhone!
    Now that is cruel -- but funny...

I just got off the phone with an AT&T rep. here in Oklahoma and he said the data plan will not be released prior to the release date. He also said the stores will close at 4:30pm and open back up at 6pm and close at 10pm. He said that they will have a display model up and running but not until the reopen at 6pm. He also mentioned that all AT&T employees will not be able to purchase the iphone for 6 months (So that must mean there will be a limited amount and shortages will be common unlike some have stated that there will be enough at launch. haha).

Quote Originally Posted by horndiggitty View Post
    I just got off the phone with an AT&T rep. here in Oklahoma and he said the data plan will not be released prior to the release date. He also said the stores will close at 4:30pm and open back up at 6pm and close at 10pm. He said that they will have a display model up and running but not until the reopen at 6pm. He also mentioned that all AT&T employees will not be able to purchase the iphone for 6 months (So that must mean there will be a limited amount and shortages will be common unlike some have stated that there will be enough at launch. haha).
    I can confirm this as well. I just called to check on my contract with ATT and was told pretty much the same thing. Some additional info: The rep I talked with said they are not sure how to handle people with existing contracts. She said there is a possibility that they will not be able to work anything out about my contract that has a year to go leaving me with a potential $175 fee. She would be able to do something about it with any other phone, but since Apple is getting all the money on the front end, that ATT needs to guarantee the contract for the back end. That seems at odds with what we've heard about Apple holding out for a percentage of the revenue, but is consistent with the strictness about a 2 year contract.

Yeah, my plan actually ran out last month which was just in time for the iphone release. Also, some additional info I forgot to mention was that the AT&T rep. said they would be letting people in one at a time. It would be on a first come first serve basis. One interesting thing they did say was that you would not be able to buy an iphone online on the 29th which sounds a little weird but who knows.

I will definitely be first in line.

Here's what I've heard on the data plan at different times, by different people:

$20/month - they want as many people as possible to be able to justify the cost, but they still want to charge them for data)
    $30/month - same as their SmartPhone Max with Unlimited Data
    $35/month
    $40 month
    $60/month ($40 data + $20 in insurance with GPS tracking) both required - I was told these two things would be inseparable. $40 for data, and then the $20 would cover if it was stolen they would be able to track where your iPhone is. (That's the silliest yet, and I heard it straight from a local AT&T employee)
    $99/month (!)

My concern is - AT&T doesn't want anyone to know yet because it will likely be over $40/month - and if it is that much - I think they will be losing A LOT of sales.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

The whole data thing is a deal breaker for a lot it seems. It sucks because, on the one hand, you have a device which is very web-centric, so you need that connection to get the most out of your device (especially since all those third-party apps Steve said he figured out a way to allow are actually just web pages , but on the other hand AT&T as a business needs to make money, and thats a lot of data running through their pipes. Interesting predicament. If its anything over $40/month, I will be sorely disappointed.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Yeah, I agree with you. If it costs over 40/month, I'm not going to be a happy camper.