+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FIRST LOOK: iPocket and VoiceNotes for AppStore | by Erica Sadun

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Erica Sadun, iPhone dev and blogger let us take a look at a couple of her upcoming AppStore apps before they actually hit the AppStore. iPocket iPocket is a file
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default FIRST LOOK: iPocket and VoiceNotes for AppStore | by Erica Sadun

Erica Sadun, iPhone dev and blogger let us take a look at a couple of her upcoming AppStore apps before they actually hit the AppStore.

iPocket

iPocket is a file browser with all sorts of connectivity options. Opening the application shows you the file browser of your local filesystem (the iPhone). You can view .plist's, images, text docs, etc all from iPocket. Clicking the Action button while viewing an item gives you all sorts of options on it, including emailing it, uploading it via FTP, and more.

One thing which I am really excited about but I couldn't get working properly was FTP. Erica notes in the Settings that FTP support is still beta, and can crash iPocket - which is what it did for me. I'm really looking forward to that, as grabbing a camera image, and then uploading it to MMi right from the iPhone would be extremely useful to me, and I'm sure plenty of you would love to be able to do the same on your sites, etc. Hopefully she'll get FTP stable soon, as this is a huge push for iPocket for me.

One other cool feature of iPocket (in addition to Bonjour support) is a built in http server. Simply open up the WWW section of iPocket, and turn on the http service. It will then give you a local web address which you can access from any computer on the same WiFi network as your iPhone, and you can browse your iPhone filesystem straight from Safari/IE/Firefox/wtvr you like.

VoiceNotes

VoiceNotes is a nice new interface for Erica's 1.x app of the same name.

The GUI is about as easy to understand and simple as you could get - opening the app gives you a giant green button. Press it, and it turns red, and you're recording. Press it again and you've stopped recording. There's also a time counter letting you know how long you've been recording.

To access and play back your notes, hit the Library button in the top right of the screen. A scrollable list of all your recordings comes up, and when each is clicked it plays. You also get an easy trash button to delete them using the same Apple interface in Notes.app.

Recordings sounded great, and playback was easy. This is a great and useful app!

Both these apps are currently in the approval queue in the AppStore, so we should see them soon.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Butt do apple allow you to browse and edit all the files on the iphone? or give you acsess to the files ower the net?

dont think apple will aprove this app.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jeckel's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be very surprised if they let the iPocket in the AppStore as that goes into the system files. Now if it was just a browser, that would be pretty pointless, as you could only see them.
    Would like to see this in the AppStore, but I doubt it.

Now the voice recorder sounds simple and useful, which I bet will be in the AppStore.

Thanks

Erica is such a great, smart developer =D
    Looking forward to both these apps!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbuster View Post
    Butt do apple allow you to browse and edit all the files on the iphone? or give you acsess to the files ower the net?

dont think apple will aprove this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeckel View Post
    I would be very surprised if they let the iPocket in the AppStore as that goes into the system files. Now if it was just a browser, that would be pretty pointless, as you could only see them.
    Would like to see this in the AppStore, but I doubt it.

Now the voice recorder sounds simple and useful, which I bet will be in the AppStore.
    There are other file browsers in the AppStore, so it may get in there. If not, we'll host it on Cydia for her.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Does VoiceNotes allow export of audio?

Thanks

Yep ! Erica is a GREAT developper ! If I may suggest something: would be nice to add the possibility of an alarm for a recorded note ! An alarm sound, little window opens, tap on a "hear note" button and BAM ! We are reminded of what ever we want...
    Iphone 1st gen, 3,0 Unlock & Jailbroken
    Iphone 3GS, UNABLE to "Make it rain"

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

How much are these apps gonna cost?
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    How much are these apps gonna cost?
    Erica's other apps are free at the moment. I don't know about iPocket, but VoiceNotes was out for 1.0.x-1.1.4 on Installer – maybe Cydia too. I'd bet these will be free as well. Erica has encouraged in the past that you donate to a charity, but there is a Paypal link on here site now.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Def not free.

Thanks

Absolutely not free. Erica has done a ton for the community, it's time people start to actually support some of the devs.
    iDictionary .. who are you?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dictionary For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (08-03-2008)

Thanks

I've got to grab ipocket now.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a little confused as to what iPocket actually does. Is it just a file browser of everything in your iPhone? If so, I can't imagine Apple approving that, but who knows, they let NetShare through.

What I'm really looking for is some like File Magnet for Windows. I have a number of .pdf files and word documents I'd like to carry with me.

VoiceNotes looks awesome though and I will be buying it. Question though, is there a current limit to the size/time of a recording? I'm wondering how far I could push the app.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

The app's in the app store like this one and many others cant run with some app developed in past like ie filebrowser and i am hoping it will be ported to 2.0 .

Thanks

I would get it if It was free lol

Thanks

nice
    THANK OR DIE

iPhone? More like MyPhone kainisable's Avatar
    Thanks

I would get it also, if it was free.......

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kainisable For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (08-03-2008)

Thanks

any chance we'll see either of these on Installer cuz I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. Plus I'm poor as hell.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to laz305 For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (08-03-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I'm a little confused as to what iPocket actually does. Is it just a file browser of everything in your iPhone? If so, I can't imagine Apple approving that, but who knows, they let NetShare through.

What I'm really looking for is some like File Magnet for Windows. I have a number of .pdf files and word documents I'd like to carry with me.

VoiceNotes looks awesome though and I will be buying it. Question though, is there a current limit to the size/time of a recording? I'm wondering how far I could push the app.
    It seems like it's able to browse and upload files by a variety of means but doesn't allow downloads (I think the usual direction of Upload/Download is reversed in this app). That is it's a read-only browser. I wouldn't think Apple would have a problem with it since it doesn't seem to allow one to make modifications to the iphone filesystem. BTW, NetShare was taken off of App Store recently with no explanation.
    Last edited by imode; 08-03-2008 at 02:02 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Conn18's Avatar
    Thanks

Lmao, it's funny that poetic_folly actually thinks iPocket might get on AppStore. Extremely, Extremely, EXTREMELY, unlikely. Extremely.

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Conn18 For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (08-03-2008)