View Poll Results: Does your iPhone 3g have cracks?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, er, what do I do?

152 32.90%
  • no mine's awesome

310 67.10%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g Cracked

Thanks

Default iPhone 3g Cracked
    According to recent reports, it appears that the 3G iPhones are developing cracks. No, this is not due to dropping it by harsh users or blending it but it's even happening with people who love their expensive iPhone like their babies!

Many people will sensationalize this and say that this is just another brick on the wall of problems Apple has had with the 3g iPhone launch including mobileme failing, servers crashing, yellow screens, and all day sync times but that just isn't the case. The cracks are not because of the cheap construction of the 3g iPhone.

All of us "in the know" realize that this is just a new planned feature similar to the yellow screens providing a "warmer feel." In reality Apple included this feature to protect your iPhone from abuse. Much like the crumple zones in cars are designed to protect the occupants inside during brutal crashes, the exterior casing of the iPhone 3g is designed to protect the precious components inside. No matter how small the abuse (read talking on the phone) Apple is prioritizing the protection of the device's functionality first and foremost.

Currently there is no official word from Apple but the issue appears to be just cosmetic and there's no problem with the phone functioning.

Now, what to do? I highly recommend you to get a Zagg iPhone 3G shield or some good body skin to protect your beloved or you can just continue on with the new iPhone feature confident that the internals of the phone are still well protected.

Please tell us if you too are having the same problem, take some pics, and vote in our poll

[MacRumors via Engadget]

oh and if it isn't obvious the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs are cash, don't yell at the op
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cracked_iphones.jpg   -crack2zu0.jpg  
    Last edited by Cody Overcash; 07-31-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: rewrite, another pic, poll, etc, source properly, internal links

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Nope
    Still happy with my great frst gen iphone!! woot but am thinking about getting a 3G (should I now with this?) (first)

My iPhone 3G (white) has a crack right by the ringer switch, it has had this crack right out of the box, the very next day I called the Apple store, and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. This is very frustrating. Hopefully Apple will do something about this!
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Micara57 View Post
    My iPhone 3G (white) has a crack right by the ringer switch, it has had this crack right out of the box, the very next day I called the Apple store, and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. This is very frustrating. Hopefully Apple will do something about this!
    Hey if you really dont want it I'd be happy to take it off of your hands
    The Best There Is...
    The Best There Was....
    And The Best There Ever Will Be.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default The first
    :-)

Iphone 1st gen + gps is best idea but not in this reality...

unix

Thanks

yeah, this news was by me, but cash made it perfect

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

oh no no no, thats not good. Imagine what could happen if and when the crack gets larger. Thats a horrible thought. That's even more reason not to get one in my eyes. Paying 600 or 700 as a non-at&t customer and have to worry about getting cracks.....definitely not a good look for apple
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

that sucks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

mine still has not been dropped (knows on wood with foot(2 broken wrists still)) i have no cracks so far and it was in my pocket when i crashed my motor cycle
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

Muahahaha, metal casing FTW!
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Had my 3G since launch date, bumped it against car doors, desk, and drop it. It's free of any scratches or cracks for me.

The two people who reported the cracks, I wonder if they leave in an area with harsh temperatures, heat can crack the case.

Quote Originally Posted by pingwhen View Post
    mine still has not been dropped (knows on wood with foot(2 broken wrists still)) i have no cracks so far and it was in my pocket when i crashed my motor cycle
    dude i wanted a motorcycle allmy life but people keep telling me know, because people crash it constantly X*( like you just did, they even call them organ donors

I was talking to my friends about the plastic backs of the 3G and I had brought that too his attention. Obviously the reason why apply re-designed the exterior of the iphone (even though the said once you buy THIS phone (1st Gen) you'd never have to buy another phone again) is to increase the amount of profit that that made per unit by decreasing the cost it took to make them. Honestly, I'm sure someone had the great idea during the developments of the first gen phones to give them plastic backs and it would be cheaper to make. And some smart guy said that people are going to be paying alot of money for these, lets not cheapen them with designs that arent meant to preserve them. BUT i guess they fired that guy with the standards and the other guy came up with the idea again for the 3G and no one stood up against it. I get the feeling this wont be that last you hear of this problem but more importantly apple will not do anything about it. As consumers its our obligation to make sure that the product is correct and in immaculate(?) condition before we leave the store. Yes apple is getting over on us (Its probably the real reason they sent people home to activate the phones) but it is our responsibility to make sure we're getting what we paid for.

Cover Your Own A**.......
    The Best There Is...
    The Best There Was....
    And The Best There Ever Will Be.....

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bretthartt View Post
    I was talking to my friends about the plastic backs of the 3G and I had brought that too his attention. Obviously the reason why apply re-designed the exterior of the iphone (even though the said once you buy THIS phone (1st Gen) you'd never have to buy another phone again) is to increase the amount of profit that that made per unit by decreasing the cost it took to make them. Honestly, I'm sure someone had the great idea during the developments of the first gen phones to give them plastic backs and it would be cheaper to make. And some smart guy said that people are going to be paying alot of money for these, lets not cheapen them with designs that arent meant to preserve them. BUT i guess they fired that guy with the standards and the other guy came up with the idea again for the 3G and no one stood up against it. I get the feeling this wont be that last you hear of this problem but more importantly apple will not do anything about it. As consumers its our obligation to make sure that the product is correct and in immaculate(?) condition before we leave the store. Yes apple is getting over on us (Its probably the real reason they sent people home to activate the phones) but it is our responsibility to make sure we're getting what we paid for.

Cover Your Own A**.......
    why would Apple do something about a feature?

Green Apple
    Thanks

It wasn't only to cut costs it was also to improve reception of the GPS and 3G inside...

I have been waiting for the 3G or wifi chipset crack it since they get so friggin warm Also when charging. So far so good for me

1st gen ownz
    -iP3G RebelSIM -Tmo
    -iFone 2nd Gen - 2.0 - Tmo
    -iMac 24" running WinXP Pro
    -Black Berry Pearl
    -HTC Tilt unlocked WM6.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ellicit View Post
    1st gen ownz
    agreed!!!!
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

I thought about the same issue at the amusement park the other day. I was riding the roller coaster and it slammed me against the side and sandwiched my iphone between me and the side, but nothing happened. I also accidentally ran it over with my Corvette previously (long story but I think the wide tires dispersed the weight of the car). Sounds like I should be glad I stuck with my old iPhone and didn't get a 3G iPhone when they came out.

i got my black iphone 3g 8gb on the first day. and ive never dropped and its cracking on the sides by the home button so u can see the light inside the phone glowing.
    Last edited by rockjohn; 07-31-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast