+ Reply
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.3 Jailbreak Achieved - not public yet

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by long10horns Maybe this has already been said, but it seems that all people really want are the programs. I am not sure how this would work, but
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by long10horns View Post
    Maybe this has already been said, but it seems that all people really want are the programs. I am not sure how this would work, but couldn't you just take the Maps program from the jailbroken 1.1.3 iPhone and try it on a 1.1.2 or 1.1.1 iPhone and see if it works? And then if it works, couldn't you release those programs without risk of releasing the jailbreak method? I have tried the 1.1.2 programs on my 1.1.1 iPhone with good results, why wouldn't it work again with 1.1.3 to 1.1.2? Just a thought and it's worth a try... Thanks.
    Im not sure about anything but the maps, but according to someone who helped make the 1.1.3 jailbreak and jailbroke his 1.1.3 iPhone, it is not just the .app folder that was changed. Their were framework files and everything changed, so I dont think that will ever happen...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pininfarina View Post
    i think a lot of people are not thinkng outside the box. If and when SDK is released, then i would bet apple will not be able to update their OS or firmware as easily as they do now. If they were to update, they could kill the SDK software that people had paid for. Therefore a workin jailbreak would likely last longer.
    Apps developed with the SDK have to be blessed (digitally signed) by Apple in order to run on an iPhone. It will not impede firmware updates. This is no different than OS X updates. Operating systems (usually) are upwards compatible. Something compiled against a 1.1.2 framework should (theoretically) run on 1.1.3. What is interesting is that I believe SDK compiled apps will still run as root and thus will offer a convenient path toward jailbreaking future firmware releases.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    Apps developed with the SDK have to be blessed (digitally signed) by Apple in order to run on an iPhone. It will not impede firmware updates. This is no different than OS X updates. Operating systems (usually) are upwards compatible. Something compiled against a 1.1.2 framework should (theoretically) run on 1.1.3. What is interesting is that I believe SDK compiled apps will still run as root and thus will offer a convenient path toward jailbreaking future firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by pininfarina View Post
    i think a lot of people are not thinkng outside the box. If and when SDK is released, then i would bet apple will not be able to update their OS or firmware as easily as they do now. If they were to update, they could kill the SDK software that people had paid for. Therefore a workin jailbreak would likely last longer.
    Pininfarina, I think you are on to something... As apple patches the firmware after the release of the SDK they are going to have to be more cautious of the changes in order to not spoil developed apps. imode69 is right that the most patches remain backward compatible with old apps, but after the release of the SDK, there shouldn't be any major OS changes. If the dev team has found a jailbreaking solution that uses a hard coded exploit that is key to the iPhone OS, then they are smart to wait until the release of the SDK. If the jailbreak uses a simple buffer overflow, like with 1.1.1, then the exploit will be patched within weeks of the release, so there wouldn't be any point in holding back the jailbreak.

As long as apple allows all the apps to run as root we'll have a relatively easy way to gain r/w access and have our phones out of jail. We'll see with the February release I guess...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am new to my iphone (1.1.2) so is it ok to update my installer or will it mess it up cus I have heard it will and it wont...

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK think about this: After the SDK comes out and Apple starts selling these apps via iTunes the Dev team will have some new things to work on like digital sig simulation. If we are able to fool iTunes now into letting us change the extension on ringtones so they sync to the phone for free, maybe the Dev team will be able to fake the digital sig on their apps and we import the apps into iTunes and sync to the phone for free, no jailbreaking necessary.

Thanks

Nice
    Last edited by macky801; 03-05-2008 at 05:21 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xfsasx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlyc View Post
    Yesterday I had my phone replaced at the Apple store and they gave me a 1.1.2

i too got a swapped phone at the apple store on Saturday and it was 1.1.2 but he updated me to 1.1.3

Thanks

I think that come February, we will see a completely different landscape for third party apps. IMHO, we will be facing two possible scenarios, depending on whether the the SDK will be freely available (incorporated into XCode) or needs to be purchased for a premium.

1. SDK is free: Everybody and their grandma will develop apps for the iPhone. The serious apps will be commercial, the good apps will be shareware, and the crap will be free. There will not be a need for AppTapp, except for maybe pirating the commercial and shareware apps.

2. SDK will cost: Pretty much the same for the serious apps, since they do that for a living. As to shareware, the SDK at cost may kill that (at least severely limit it). Obviously, you need to have a pretty good app that sells to justify investing in the SDK. Sure, you'll be able to torrent the SDK on or the day after its release, but you can't expect Apple to sanction your app if it was developed without a valid SDK. So AppTapp again becomes an accessory to pirated and/or unlawfully acquired apps.

As I see it, it all depends on whether or not the SDK costs you. Even if it doesn't most useful apps will go shareware or commercial. I'm not judging this, I'm just musing what it might look like in two months time.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder this though.... Let's assume Apple's sold ?? 5 million phones. How many are like us? I can't imagine it's a massive group and I question to which extent Apple is concerned about us. Just thinking....

Also, would it be safe to imagine that without the Sim unlock issue, the jailbreak would've been set free if it were just for apps/customizing the screen? Maybe (?)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Couldn't once the SDK is out someone make a nice program, a messenger program similar to yahoo messenger or something and on purpose put a very good hidden backdoor for jailbreaking the phone in it? So good hidden that apple wont find it. Then once apple allows it we just buy this application through Itunes and use the hidden backdoor to jailbreak our phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ornelasr View Post
    I am new to my iphone (1.1.2) so is it ok to update my installer or will it mess it up cus I have heard it will and it wont...
    This has nothing to do with the thread. Search and read, or you'll just get ignored

Anyway, I think that it having a jailbroken 1.1.3 will be excellent, you can have a combination of apple-apps, and a combination of jailbroken-3rd party apps. We still have all that we have now, but we can add on more of what we want from apple if we decide to. So I personally don't see it as a threat.
    Last edited by dale1v; 01-22-2008 at 04:01 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Go figure....... I never could understand those working at the apple store. Its like Steve Jobs is at there house every night. I wouldn't buy a phone from them if they wouldn't tell me the firmware. Hats off to the DEV's. I am constantly blown away by there intelligence and devotion. Regular donations come from me . Thx again guy's.........

iPhone? More like MyPhone hoits2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool, I noticed it changes the icon from the web clip to a black icon that says deviant power, just like the google one does, pretty cool, how is that possible? I want to do that with my website, gershoits.com

Green Apple
    Thanks

they are a-holes at the apple store

Thanks

Cool, can't wait.

Thanks

There are reports that this is a hardware jailbreak (requires you to hack the hardware). Is this true?

Thanks

previously known as iWant 1.1.1
    ...my dev-base...

iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Factory Unlocked

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default cool
    fingers crossed and waiting

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sweett! good work guys...where would you..might hafta donate for all the hard work your doing so we can continue to have good times on the iphone

iPhone? More like MyPhone ARCHA1C's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReidWings View Post
    At first I was mad, but then I realized every feature they added in 1.1.3 (other than movie store) I already have via jailbreak. Smart move hanging on until SDK release. You guys rock.
    What do you use for you map locator? Navizon or Locate me? And do you really have the "Pin placement" functionality on your maps??