+ Reply
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 156

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Installer 4 Preview - PICS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by imode69 Dude... did you read ANY of the previous posts in this thread? This has come up 1000 times. There is no summerboard or customize or games
...
  1. #121
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dutchess County, NY
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 27 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    Dude... did you read ANY of the previous posts in this thread? This has come up 1000 times. There is no summerboard or customize or games available for 2.0 firmware yet (outside of the app store of course) because they haven't been ported! This has NOTHING to do with either Installer or Cydia. If Installer was released today it would have just as little (maybe even less) apps than what are hosted on Cydia.
    Cydia sucked pre 2.0 as well. If it aint broke don't fix it. I'm sure the majority of hackers prefer Installer.
    OG iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and hopefully iPhone 2012 =)

  2. #122
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one4house View Post
    Because you have to be patient and let it finish updateing/installing/uninstalling before it will bump itself back to the interface or springboard.
    That's the thing it doesn't, I can wait for hours and it will be still in Cydia. I really don't like it. Uninstalling Cydia totally from my iPhone as we speak.

    Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    Dude... did you read ANY of the previous posts in this thread? This has come up 1000 times. There is no summerboard or customize or games available for 2.0 firmware yet (outside of the app store of course) because they haven't been ported! This has NOTHING to do with either Installer or Cydia. If Installer was released today it would have just as little (maybe even less) apps than what are hosted on Cydia.
    I'd rather have an Installer without any apps than Cydia with apps. Installer sounds a lot cooler than Cydia aswell.

    I don't care if Installer has apps or not and Cydia has the worlds best apps on it, I just want Installer on my iPhone as soon as possible
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 07-29-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  3. #123
    Developer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 323 Times in 67 Posts

    Post The /Real/ Argument Here
    Quote Originally Posted by zauriel View Post
    Why must they cooperate with Cydia? Installer, regardless of repository format, has been providing users with access to apps since the beginning, and suddenly because Cydia is open source, Installer should apologize and then mimic it? Again, pretentious. That's a "mine is better than yours, so yours should aspire to be like mine" attitude.
    Definitely not. The fact that Cydia is open source and Installer is not does not in anyway mean that they should be required to do anything, nor does it means users should care one way or the other about which product they use (unless they are pretentious, and some people are, and that's ok ;P).

    The makers of Installer, however, should apologize to all the people who's time they wasted or who lost sensitive data by continuing to push "BSD Subsystem" as a viable alternative to Telesphoreo, which in turn only exists for Cydia because Installer simply could not handle installing it, it was too complicated for it.

    Barring even the point that so much of it (BSD Subsystem) does not work (which limited the ability for developers to use the platform effectively, which meant applications were more difficult to write and package, which meant that you, the user, had fewer options), in specific the passwd tool didn't work, which is downright dangerous. The number of people floating around who A) are using default passwords and B) are running OpenSSH is insane, and is entirely due to NullRiver not getting onboard with Telesphoreo.

    To explain this more fully: the war being fought between Installer and Cydia has nothing to do with any interface element any user ever notices. It has nothing to do with searching (a commonly cited feature Cydia had for a long time), and it doesn't even have to do with Installer's broken promise to the community about going open source.

    Instead, it has entirely to do with the options available to the packager and the developer, which translates to more and better applications for users. The number of developers you find who lament the fact that people use Installer is very high. In fact, many of the developers who write the software you are installing sit around on the Cydia IRC channels commiserating over "how am I going to install this next one with Installer, *grumble*".

    An example: I can pretty much guarantee you that, had Installer been willing to respond to developer's (in this case my) needs, we would all be happily installing J2ME games (yes, that's right, the thousands of available Java games for handsets) on our iPhones right now, via Installer, as I wouldn't have had to waste months of funded Port-Java-To-The-iPhone effort on dealing with the fact that Installer A) didn't have dependencies, B) didn't support symbolic links correctly, and C) was built on a failing Unix layer that they were no longer supporting. Installer didn't even respond to my (very very nice, as at the time I was a very happy user of Installer; I was only beginning to start deveopment for the iPhone) e-mails.

    So, did anyone here notice this lost development? No. Could they have? No. Why? Because this isn't a feature you see in Cydia or Installer if you aren't a developer. This, seriously, is why you see people arguing over silly technical details like what repository format Installer and Cydia are using: because it directly affects what you can support via the installation mechanism. Cydia, based on Debian APT, has 15 years of people trying to install all kinds of random software with it and simply "works" for pretty much anything you need to get onto a device, from a phone to a mainframe.

    Regardless, the end of that story is that those "wasted" months of effort went into writing Telesphoreo and Cydia, and now things work. Does it matter? Still no: because users aren't using any of it yet, so developers can't start assuming it and deploying their software. Why? Because Installer didn't even want to discuss the project nor thought it was important, which meant that Cydia, an open source project that they could A) contribute or even B) usurp (there's no reason why Installer couldn't just get APT support welded into it in such a way that no one noticed), hasn't gotten as much usage, which translates to less funding for it, which translates to not "looking as pretty".

    Luckily, on 2.0, the tables have turned somewhat due to Installer simply not being ready, which means that I've been able to obtain more time to work on Cydia, which has been getting us features like icons (which soon will support icons per package), the source editor (should be out today), and an "Expert" user mode which will hide packages people find confusing.

    So, to sum it all up into a sound bite: why should you support Cydia? Because Cydia dreams of (and the developers of are actively spending their time attempting to provide) a world where everyone is playing J2ME games on their secure phone, while Installer seems content with a world where people get only a fraction of the products to run on a phone whose address book has already been stolen and is probably running a virus. :(

    Regardless, I'm going to go back to working on Cydia. ;P (I only looked here as I was trying to find RiPDev's e-mail address, which apparently isn't posted anywhere, and Google seemed to indicate that this page might have it, but I didn't find it. I guess he just doesn't like talking to users anymore than NullRiver didn't. Meanwhile, I was accepting support phone calls this morning from a guy in Africa...)

    Sincerely,
    Jay Freeman (saurik)
    [email protected]
    http://www.saurik.com/

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

    Jah (07-30-2008), jwaschbisch (07-31-2008), mr.sparky (07-29-2008), mrkay (07-29-2008), rotaryheadrx7 (07-31-2008)

  5. #124
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    well said!

  6. #125
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    looks pretty awesome!! I have 2.0 so I'm using cydia, hopefully either cydia adds sources really soon or iblacklist will b ready for 2.0!!!??????!!!!

  7. #126
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default re-jailbreak?
    Will there be a need to re-jailbreak when Installer 4 is released?

  8. #127
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    looks great...cydia is alright but this looks ALOT better

  9. #128
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by organik View Post
    You know what's way better than Installer? CYDIA. And it's available now. This fascination with Installer I do not understand.
    The fascination is with the availability of certain programs that only appear in the installer list, eg "agile messenger", "fring", plus O''m hoping that summerboard gets updated too.

    I'd like both.

  10. #129
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 48 Times in 38 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yamman View Post
    Will there be a need to re-jailbreak when Installer 4 is released?
    Read previous posts in this thread and you'll find the answer

  11. #130
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stunna2095 View Post
    looks great...cydia is alright but this looks ALOT better
    posts like this drive me absolutely insane. it's not that i care what you do with your phone, or what you find "pretty", it's that there are a whole lot of people with this opinion, and *I* don't want to end up using a "pretty" yet inferior product simply because it has user traction.

  12. #131
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    You're right it is entirely up to the phone user on whether to use the program or not but honestly this post should be used for people that are interested in Installer, not for people to bash it or complain about why a fan picks this over the alternate.

  13. #132
    iPhoneaholic whodatfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 279 Times in 103 Posts

    Here's an idea:

    Why don't the two sides merge like all other companies do these days and put together the best of both sources? I'm sure the two sides could use all of cydias security and interfacing with installers user friendly format and...... BAM!! The baddest mother of all installer sources! Cool and easy to use, with a crisp, sharp interface that is STABLE and SAFE! You could call it......hmmmm......... Cydia Installer!!!!!!!!

  14. #133
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vinividiiphone View Post
    posts like this drive me absolutely insane. it's not that i care what you do with your phone, or what you find "pretty", it's that there are a whole lot of people with this opinion, and *I* don't want to end up using a "pretty" yet inferior product simply because it has user traction.
    I'm sorry, are you for some reason under the impression that you will be forced to use Installer? If you don't want to use it, don't download it. Don't install programs from it. Use Cydia instead. And then stop complaining to those planning to use Installer about how you don't want to use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    To explain this more fully: the war being fought between Installer and Cydia has nothing to do with any interface element any user ever notices. It has nothing to do with searching (a commonly cited feature Cydia had for a long time), and it doesn't even have to do with Installer's broken promise to the community about going open source.

    Instead, it has entirely to do with the options available to the packager and the developer, which translates to more and better applications for users. The number of developers you find who lament the fact that people use Installer is very high. In fact, many of the developers who write the software you are installing sit around on the Cydia IRC channels commiserating over "how am I going to install this next one with Installer, *grumble*".
    Thanks for the informative post, Saurik. However, you point out exactly what I was saying -- that for most users, this behind-the-scenes stuff is no concern of ours. We see the product, the face of it, the features and what's available. And, I'm sorry, while you seem to indicate that Cydia offers more apps, I have never really found that to be true ... that is, speaking solely of actual applications that are user-driven (games, multimedia, mainly apps with icons on the springboard, etc.) rather than back-end (developer apps, codes or tools that most users would have no idea what to do with). With maybe one or two exceptions, I have always found what I needed on Installer. But there are hundreds of apps out there and of course I've never sat down and gone through them all (it's really subjective anyway as you could add sources from a number of places to access more apps).

    Luckily, on 2.0, the tables have turned somewhat due to Installer simply not being ready, which means that I've been able to obtain more time to work on Cydia, which has been getting us features like icons (which soon will support icons per package), the source editor (should be out today), and an "Expert" user mode which will hide packages people find confusing.
    Glad to hear of the improvements, and I'm sure those will go a long way to improving Cydia's user base. The "Expert" mode hiding the non-user-friendly packages is especially intriguing. Do that, add a source editor (which for the record I don't see yet ), and make the interface more user-friendly (I'm sorry to say it, but copy Installer), and you just might have a convert.

    So, to sum it all up into a sound bite: why should you support Cydia? Because Cydia dreams of (and the developers of are actively spending their time attempting to provide) a world where everyone is playing J2ME games on their secure phone, while Installer seems content with a world where people get only a fraction of the products to run on a phone whose address book has already been stolen and is probably running a virus.
    Again with smear 'n' fear tactics ::sigh:: What is it with the Cydia crowd? Lobbing grenades like this doesn't bolster your case, Saurik. I certainly hope you don't start calling for the elimination of Installer as others on this board have. Stick to working on Cydia; I'm sure everyone, Installer and Cydia users alike, would appreciate that more.
    Last edited by zauriel; 07-30-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #134
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada Ontario
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Oh man whats with all the bashing of installer its seriously like a Windows vs Mac (Cydia = Windows and Mac = Installer) Why do I like my mac cause **** just works and it looks great simple interface Installer follows this mac system where cydia doesnt I don't care about all this extra crap Cydia can do I want it to have sources I can add and simply install my programs with a nice friendly looking interface and installer 4.0 has this if you don't want to use it DONT! Beautiful thing is we have OPTIONS! SSH your **** into your phone or use Cydia win win for everyone!

  16. #135
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    that is correct, i will be forced to use installer if the applications i want are not available otherwise. apps available will choose the installer for most. i fully anticipate using both installer and cydia.

    i refer you to the many posts outlining why the technical and licensing arguments are relative, in case you'd like to respond to them.


    Quote Originally Posted by zauriel View Post
    I'm sorry, are you for some reason under the impression that you will be forced to use Installer? If you don't want to use it, don't download it. Don't install programs from it. Use Cydia instead. And then stop complaining to those planning to use Installer about how you don't want to use it.

  17. #136
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vinividiiphone View Post
    that is correct, i will be forced to use installer if the applications i want are not available otherwise. apps available will choose the installer for most. i fully anticipate using both installer and cydia.

    i refer you to the many posts outlining why the technical and licensing arguments are relative, in case you'd like to respond to them.
    But the whole argument so far has been that it doesn't matter whether you use Cydia or Installer in terms of app availability, it's the developers who must port their apps to 2.0. So don't be mad at Installer users if a dev decides to make their repository Installer friendly and not Cydia friendly. According to Saurik, most devs find it easier to dev for Cydia, so there's not much merit in thinking there will be soooo many apps that will be Installer-only that you just can't live without. If you plan on using both, great, but commenters on iPhone boards won't be controlling whether Installer lives up to your expectations.

    And no, I don't care to go back over any posts concerning licensing or technical arguments, simply for the fact that I don't care about them. I know what I like, and I've never argued for others to use Installer over Cydia, unlike the plethora of Cydia backers on the flip side. I say use what you like without trying to demonize the competition or its user base.

  18. #137
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    when this installer will b available?

  19. #138
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    My 2 cents...

    I used installer because on my 1st gen iphone I used Ziphone which installed it automatically. There was little point in installing Cydia at the time as all of the apps I needed were availible through Installer. Now it is the other was around so I will stick with Cydia untill there is something on installer that I would like to install that is not availible on Cydia.

    I dont think slinging mud helps the situation but this current delay in release of Installer has given it a chance so if it is as good for developers as you say it is let it shine and it may get some apps that can't run on installer.

  20. #139
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    any ideas when it will be released?
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

  21. #140
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Jeckel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts

    I found this comment on his site:

    # slavikus пишет:
    1 Август 2008 в 21:29

    "It doesnít matter, Installer wonít be ready until late October. Too many problems, plus I found out it canít work with Mobile Enhancer, itís a real program."


    # slavikus пишет:
    1 Август 2008 в 21:46

    "Installer 4 is going to come out from RipDev and Nullriver in the near future, so we can sell Kate and the tethering program that AppleStore just put down. Itís going to cost 24.99 euros with 1 year upgrades, which will eventually be 2 months since Apple is changing the frameworks again in 2.1 firmware, where we are going to charge 15 euros for old customers and 25 for the new. The icons in the new Installer are going to be awsome though."

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts