+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How To: Tether the iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Avalanchenut I think you are ill informed. If your running a proxy which you are it is making your request look as if they are coming from
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanchenut View Post
    I think you are ill informed. If your running a proxy which you are it is making your request look as if they are coming from the phone. This was proven at this years DEFCON.
    And you believe that requests from Safari or Firefox on a Mac/PC look the same as those coming from the mobile version of Safari or Apple authorized apps? OK cool.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I use 3proxy and NetShare. It's really cool to connect your laptop via iPhone to the net.

There are two problems:
    My phone doesn't change the Wlan connection to 3G/Edge to connect to the internet automaticaly - is there a common method to force the iPhone to change the network?

DNS reasolving is pretty bad - a lot of pages won't load...!?
    Is it enought to just cache them first through a Lan connection?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tether iPhone through USB cable
    Just thought I would throw this out. I found it much better to tether the iPhone through the USB cable than to use WiFi. It is also much faster for transferring programs. Using WiFi and 3g together runs the battery down pretty fast on the phone so I found I had to connect the USB cable to keep the phone charged anyway. This way does not require the WiFi to be used at all, does not require 3proxy to be running on the iphone, and is much easier to set up. Just got it working a few minutes ago and am using it to send this message. A step by step procedure follows:

1. Requires a jailbroke iPhone with Cydia installed (I am using 3g)

2. Use Cydia to install SSH on the iPhone.

3. Install "iPhone Tunnel Suite" on the PC http://www.makkiaweb.net

4. Put the batch file attached in the same directory as "Putty" C:/program files/Iphone Tunnel Suite/Putty

5. Run the "iPhone Tunnel Suite" program and click the "iPhone Tunnel" button only.

6. Set Internet Explorer (or Web Browser of choice) to use a Socks only proxy at 127.0.0.1 port 8080.

7. Run the "Safari" Web Browser on the iPhone. This is required so the iPhone will establish an internet connection.

8. You might want to set the iPhone not to go to sleep also as the internet connection will drop when it does.

9. Run the "IPhone.bat" file.

I found the method above a much better way to tether than using WiFi and running a proxy server on the iPhone. I found the WinSCP (included with the tunnel suite) a much better way to transfer programs between the Iphone and the PC also.

Enjoy,

Jim K.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jimcking; 08-12-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks

Any Mac version?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcking View Post
    Just thought I would throw this out. I found it much better to tether the iPhone through the USB cable than to use WiFi. It is also much faster for transferring programs. Using WiFi and 3g together runs the battery down pretty fast on the phone so I found I had to connect the USB cable to keep the phone charged anyway. This way does not require the WiFi to be used at all, does not require 3proxy to be running on the iphone, and is much easier to set up. Just got it working a few minutes ago and am using it to send this message. A step by step procedure follows:

3. Install "iPhone Tunnel Suite" on the PC iMakkie Hosting

4. Put the batch file attached in the same directory as "Putty" C:/program files/Iphone Tunnel Suite/Putty

5. Run the "iPhone Tunnel Suite" program and click the "iPhone Tunnel" button only.

6. Set Internet Explorer (or Web Browser of choice) to use a Socks only proxy at 127.0.0.1 port 8080.

7. Run the "Safari" Web Browser on the iPhone. This is required so the iPhone will establish an internet connection.

8. You might want to set the iPhone not to go to sleep also as the internet connection will drop when it does.

I found the method above a much better way to tether than using WiFi and running a proxy server on the iPhone. I found the WinSCP (included with the tunnel suite) a much better way to transfer programs between the Iphone and the PC also.

Enjoy,

Jim K.
    AVG tells me there is a trojan horse when accessing iMakkie Hosting

I followed the above instructions and when I run Putty (using the bat file) I get "network error: software caused connection abort"

I have disables the wifi on the laptop and iphone (so it will use 3G). I don't have iTunes on the laptop (do I need it?). The iPhone is connected to the laptop via USB.

Any ideas?

Made some progress. I can now see the iPhone terminal when I run the *.bat file but IE7 still has no connection.

I have set the socks proxy in IE7 (under internet options - connection - proxy settings - advanced) to 127.0.0.1:8080.
    Last edited by zoti; 08-13-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I also found this link via this forum:
    http://alk2blog.blogspot.com/2008/08...-over-usb.html

This is really a great way to tether the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockdaddy707 View Post
    hello.
    i saw a lot of you guys say you got AIM to work. I can't get aim to work.

truthfully, i really want digsby to work. I tried to make digsby use "specify proxy config" (and put in my iphone's ip address as the host and set port to 1080) AND i tried to let it "use default system settings" but i still have not luck either way.

any suggestions?
    does anyone have an answer to this....? how do you get AIM to work?

Thanks

Thanks

Cable is good not if u have multiple people who want to tether

iPhone? More like MyPhone mtwiford's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone heard of any problems from at&t with the tethering yet? Curious to see if anyone has receieved warnings or anything

......epic

iPhone? More like MyPhone 808mp5's Avatar
    Thanks

none thus far... and i wouldn't got the 127.x.x.x route... like someone else posted there was a trojan... and if you know anything about networking you no that 127.0.0.1 is localhost... so i see a major security flaw with that... and for the person that was having trouble connecting with IE7 a couple thread above... if your trying to go the localhost route you probably have to disable the "bypass proxy for xxxx adresses" check box

i don't know but doing it through your localhost ip isn't a good idea cuz even if you have a firewall your localhost ip has no security
    "Search" is your friend

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i got the netshare program buy afraid to use it. i don't want to get charge a fee. i did call atnt and told them the situation and they said the best thing for them to do is just put a note on my account. but yet a gain this is one netshare just came out. so can i use the program that i bought or not?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Putty/WinSCP Error

3. Install "iPhone Tunnel Suite" on the PC iMakkie Hosting

Enjoy,

Jim K.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
    I followed all the above stated steps but after i run the Iphone.bat file it gives me an Error - Putty Fatal Error "Network Error:Software caused connection abort".Ive googled and done everything every search says but of no use.Ive tried WinSCP as well but same error.I have no firewalls and i have BSD systems and OpenSSH installed on my iPhone(8GB,v1.1.4)....
    Please help.................

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dont make it so complicate use iPhoneModem zsrelay... make a ad-hoc on Windows or use the USB connect and put your iPhone IP in your Browser as Socks Proxy prort is 1080 thats all

Ciao Marco

Thanks

Every time I try to do it, it never works. I follow the instructions to a tee...to no avail.

Thanks

Tried this for the first time the other day. Worked just fine.

+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567