Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How To: Tether the iPhone 3G

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    At&t's unlimited data plan only allows 5gb? If they get on your *** about it can't you sue them for false advirtising or something?
    Someone needs to learn to read the fine print in a contract.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

You shouldn't be able to advertise something to lure people in and then make a complete contradiction in the fine print. Although I don't think that is right, I really am not complaining too loud because I just took a look at data charges for Australia. Has anyone took a look at oversea's data usage prices for the iPhone 3g? In some of these places you're paying 179$ a month for a single gigabyte. I'll take the "unlimited" plan anyday

Default Vista 64 bit
    Hey there --

I love that we have this ability.. but, I've got this set up exactly as suggested by all here.. and it just will not connect.

I have winpwned my iPhone 3g -- great

Installed 3 proxy and mobile terminal from cydia

restarted the iphone.

created an ad hoc computer to computer network and connected to it on my puter..

open and no encryption

I've gone to terminal and typed in socks and hit return

I've connected teh iphone to the new network.. made note of the ip addy

gone to network settings in firefox.. entered the ip in the socks host line port 1080

left the other proxy lines empty and the port 0

I've gone to about:config

changed the third line down to true

opened a web page on the iphone to make sure it's connected to 3g

then tried to open a page in fire fox.. and nothing.. says the proxy isn't accepting the connection or something to that extent.

I never get the globe in the tray between the monitors for the connection.. but, don't know if I should.

Can anyone see a problem in my config? I'd love to get this going..

thanks

j

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

I wasn't upset or ranting, happy noodle boy, I was just asking because they do advirtise and unlimited data plan that really isn't unlimited. But I guess you they can do that, sorry if it seemed like a rant or something

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    I wasn't upset or ranting, happy noodle boy, I was just asking because they do advirtise and unlimited data plan that really isn't unlimited. But I guess you they can do that, sorry if it seemed like a rant or something
    It's all right, but in this world, there's no such thing as unlimited : \

On a compeltely related sidenote, I posted this in Chit Chat because it no longer is available in the US, but you can now buy NetShare on the AppStore, which is an official tethering app from NullRiver.

It was available in the US for like an hour and then they took it down. It seems you can still buy it elsewhere, though.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

On a compeltely related sidenote, I posted this in Chit Chat because it no longer is available in the US, but you can now buy NetShare on the AppStore, which is an official tethering app from NullRiver.

It was available in the US for like an hour and then they took it down. It seems you can still buy it elsewhere, though.
    Edit: Ha I wrote this just as you posted:

Apparently there was an app out there called NETSHARE that made tethering so much easier by doing it for you. Somehow it made it's way to the Appstore but has been taken off.

I wonder if anyone was able to get there hands on this before it was pulled?
    Last edited by iPhoneMadness; 08-01-2008 at 09:49 AM.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Default anyone
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

For those of you that can't get this to work!

Under your proxy settings in firefox, select SOCKS v4.

This goes for windows users too. This worked for me.

I have a copy of netshare if anyone wants a copy just pm me.
    Also what kind of speeds are you guys getting?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to keatonreckard For This Useful Post:

rohizzle121 (08-02-2008)

this for 3g only? Or will it work on a 1st gen on 2.0? Jailbroken of course....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBillyson View Post
    this for 3g only? Or will it work on a 1st gen on 2.0? Jailbroken of course....
    Yes it works.

probably a stupid question, will it work, or is there a way to set it up WITHOUT a wireless connection. Well without any connection really. Using an old laptop without an adapter in a place without Internet connection. Just trying to use firefox on the laptop. Any help is appreciated

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBillyson View Post
    probably a stupid question, will it work, or is there a way to set it up WITHOUT a wireless connection. Well without any connection really. Using an old laptop without an adapter in a place without Internet connection. Just trying to use firefox on the laptop. Any help is appreciated
    An wifi connection must be made between the phone and the computer requiring the laptop to have a wireless card. Best bet would be to pick up a USB wireless card.

I got the "Netshare" app, i installed, and did all the configurations it asked for. I even did the "about:config" for Firefox... Yet when I try to connect it shows like 2kb of data and doesn't do anything, it only worked one time for me, and after that it quit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

okay.. well.. I've tried all suggestions. socks 4 and 5.. I'm definitely connected.. but, never get my puter to see the internet connection. I get a socks proxy is not accepting connections through firefox as the error message.

I'm hoping to get netshare.. and I'll try that. Wonder if there are just some phones that won't do it.

j

I am using Netshare, and I am connected too, but it only worked once for me, and now it's just sitting there, nothing will load.

hehe.. tried it with foxyproxy and just doesn't do it.. they connect.. but, the internet connection just doesn't work.

oh well. .must be somethign with this particular phone.

j

well, i still can't get mine to load the internet, it's connected, but not sending information, i am not what else i can do, if someone has an answer, that would be great...lol

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keatonreckard For This Useful Post:

jwfab1 (08-04-2008), name00 (10-24-2008)

same thing here Vox.. and I do have netshare.. same stuff..

connects fine.. no internet.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast