Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMS, Video, Games, and SDK to be announced at MacWorld 2008

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default MMS, Video, Games, and SDK to be announced at MacWorld 2008
    Macrumors has reported that they have recieved a transcript of whats on the docket for the MacWorld 2008 keynote speech. Of course like all rumors, there is no way to know if it is true or not until MacWorld.

If it is true here are somethings we'll see:
    • MMS
    • Video
    • eBook Reader
    • Games for purchase via iTunes
    • The SDK released
    The iPhone transcript
    iPhone

iPhone SDK released today. Developers will be able to sell their signed applications via iTunes (from March '08)
    New iPhone software released today - adds Multimedia Messaging, video recording with camera, eBook reader & other features.
    New iPhone games released today - available for purchase via iTMS.
    3G iPhone announced (looks almost identical to existing iPhone).
    iPhone announcements for new countries (some/all may not be announced - pending network negotiations)

Tunes & iPod

iTunes 8 supports Movie Rentals and eBook sales. Released today.
    Software update for iPod Classic & Touch to support eBooks.

Mac Pro

Blu-Ray option to be rolled out to all Macs within 18 months, starting with Mac Pro - available now.
    Processor and graphics updates also to Mac Pros, but no other changes.

Cinema Display

Slightly re-designed cinema displays with new range of screen sizes. All support at least 1080HD.

Mac Mini & Apple TV

New product that converges the Mac Mini & Apple TV:
    - Thinner & wider that Mac Mini, thicker than Apple TV. Designed to be horizontally or vertically mounted.
    - Blu-Ray and hard drive options.
    - Graphics capabilities in-line with the iMac.
    - Can boot into Front Row 3.0 (not final name - see below) or full OS X Leopard.
    - Innovative controller (sold separately).
    - Elgato to release a range of specially styled add-ons.

Front Row 3.0 (not final name)

- All macs will optionally be able to boot into Front Row 3.0.
    - Supports iTMS.
    - Elgato hardware integration, giving (DRM-limited) PVR functionality.
    - Front-row versions of iCal, Mail & Safari.
    - New eBook application.
    - SDK so 3rd parties can make their applications launch directly from Front Row.
    - Can be controlled by Apple Remote, new controller, iPhone or iPod Touch.

New ultra-portable/tablet "MacTouch"

- Neither a MacBook nor a MacBook Pro. Totally new product.
    - Two 9" multitouch-sensitve widescreens, both 1280 x 854.
    - Innovative, minimalist, two-way folding/sliding, dual-screen, multi-position design with magnetic clasps. Inspired by the paperback book, but thinner, more flexible and surprisingly tough.
    - No optical drive. No mechanical hard drive.
    - Will run most existing OS X apps when in 2-screen mode (the 2nd screen becomes the keyboard and touch-pad).
    - iPhone-like "Springboard" when in single-screen mode.
    - New possibilities for future OS X Apps - demonstrated by a gesture-driven version of iPhoto.
    - Bluetooth, 802.11b/g, USB2.0, optical/analogue audio in/out, built in speakers & microphone.
    Another transcript:
    Steve enters from backstage and welcomes the audience to MacWorld 2008. He says that there are big plans for the day, but first he wants to provide numbers. His focus topics are the adoption rates for iPhone and Leopard, as well as quick notes on iTunes, iPod, and Mac sales.

Steve then apologizes, saying that there is nothing as big as the iPhone this year, but he thinks a lot of smaller “revolutionary” changes are happening that will hopefully make this year exciting as well.

Mac Nano
    Steve mentions the iPod Nano, calling it the best-selling music device in history. He then reminds us that the “Nano” used to be “Mini” and brings up the existence of the Mac Mini. Steve then unveils the “Mac Nano,” a redesigned Mac Mini that is approximately half the height of its predecessor and in an anodized aluminum shell to match recent design changes in the Apple lineup.

The Mac Nano will come in two flavors, 2.0 GHz and 2.2 GHz (using current Santa Rosa chips), each of which comes standard with a 32 GB solid-state drive. Build-to-order options will include a 64 GB solid-state drive, as well as the option to instead use a conventional hard drive, with sizes up to 160 GB, all 5400 rpm.

On sale: TODAY. Shipping: FEBRUARY.

Mac Pro
    Steve then says that “sometimes bigger is better,” and brings up the Mac Pro, lauding it as the “best workstation on the market.” Steve then introduces the new Penryn chipset, praising Intel for its innovation. He then introduces a redesigned Mac Pro. (There is no “final image” present in this draft Keynote). Steve brags that the Mac Pro was the first mainstream computer to feature eight cores, and says its time to bring that into everyone’s hands.

The new Mac Pro comes with dual 2.8 GHz Penryn Xeons standard, with build-to-order options for 3.0 GHz and 3.2 GHz. Standard RAM is bumped to 2 GB, standard hard drive to 320 GB. Standard graphics card is now 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, with other graphics cards build-to-order.

Steve then reveals a final new feature: the Mac Pro is the first Mac to feature a high-definition optical drive, a Blu-ray drive for $400, BTO.

On sale: TODAY. Shipping: TODAY.

MacBook Pro
    “Also an update for our mobile professionals.” Steve introduces the “new” MacBook Pro, built off of the mobile version of the “same Penryn chipset used in the Mac Pro.”

Clockspeeds upped to 2.4 GHz/2.6 GHz. 17” MacBook Pro gets LED backlighting. 15” MacBook Pro gets a resolution upgrade option BTO similar to the 17”. Still using the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, but video RAM upgraded to 256 MB/512 MB.

New option: black anodized aluminum, like the iPod Classic, due to the high demand of the “BlackBook.”

ON SALE: TODAY. Shipping: FEBRUARY.

New Accessories
    Steve then lines up the three Mac desktops and points to their now common aluminum shells, then points out the white plastic Mighty Mouse. Quickly introduces the new aluminum Mighty Mouse, which is slightly slimmer than its predecessor and gets an extra 10% battery life.

Updated Cinema Displays
    Steve calls the Apple monitors the “most gorgeous displays on the market,” but then lines up the iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro. Points to the lack of an iSight camera on the Cinema Display. All Cinema Displays now include a 2 MP iSight camera. Resolutions and other specs stay the same, but backlighting changed over to LED.

New prices:
    20”: $399.
    23”: $599.
    30”: $1,249.

Steve then pretends to wrap up the speech, then does his usual...
    One More Thing...
    Grid illustration using keynote. Across the top: “Compact,” “Consumer,” “Professional.” Across the bottom: “Portable,” “Desktop.” Steve then illustrates how their current five offerings (including the “Mac Nano”) fill in five of the six spots. Steve points out the “missing hole” and brings up the 12” PowerBook G4.

Said that the 12” MacBook Pro was sort of like the PowerBook G5--everyone wanted it, but it was never meant to happen. Instead, Apple is entering the market with the “MacBook Nano,” the smallest and lightest Mac laptop ever produced.

This new ultra-portable will come with a 13” LED-backlit screen with 1280x800 resolution. It will come in two flavors, using 1.6 GHz and 1.8 GHz low-voltage Core 2 Duos each. The lower-end will feature a 32 GB SSD, the higher- a 64 GB. Neither will use optical drives and will rely on integrated graphics.

Steve will also reveal that they will be capable of getting up to 10 hours battery life. The two models will retail for $1,499 and $1,999, respectively.

The keynote address concludes.
    thanks to ramm, er subfluous, er morzek, er, whatever username you are using today on the #modmyi irc channel

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

quahog_convo (01-07-2008)

Thanks

Omg.
    I hope.
    Omg that would be great. And i hate it when people say omg...

meh 3G iphone. I don't need 3G when i have WiFi. And EDGE does the job.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    meh 3G iphone. I don't need 3G when i have WiFi. And EDGE does the job.
    Yeah its the SDK and the Video im pumped for
    But this is 90% chance not true
    Last edited by DoerrFan; 01-05-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Just curious, does anyone know if you can watch MWSF live instead of being there or is it later released via online news or what.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dalopesinator View Post
    Just curious, does anyone know if you can watch MWSF live instead of being there or is it later released via online news or what.
    Yes keynote audio is streamed live by various sites

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    thanks to ramm, er subfluous, er morzek, er, whatever username you are using today on the #modmyi irc channel
    roffle

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

about freaking time, but then again they are just RUMORS.

I wish, you know I think I would be better off not reading these rumors, not many have come true.
    Thanks,
    Matt

iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be so amazing. Hope it's true!!
    Sent From My iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

we'll see....
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidetalker For This Useful Post:

DirtyDan (01-08-2008)

Lol..

and that one guy also talked about 1.1.3 coming out how long ago?
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

So if this new firmware would come out with video, mms, would it be jailbreakable or would it be completely locked and you would just have to wait for more apps to come out through the SDK?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

hopefully someone (beejive :]) makes a good native app for IMs

As much as I'd like to think it's real... never had one of these be right before... But it would be nice!

what's the point of the MacBook nano? wouldnt it be better to have a 32/64 GB iPhone/iTouch that can actually run real os x apps? I thought the point of the iPhone was to get rid of all the various gadgets you carry with you and combine them in one, adding another teeny underpowered laptop without an optical drive would be steering away from that .......

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

who knows at 1500 its a rip off but it will ne very fast for no reason because of intergretaded graphics :-/

Looks like a collection of rumors from the past 6 months..

everything sounds great, we'll see what is to come.

i swear i'm a mac lover, i had a mac Christmas, but when is the keynote? what date? i can't find it anywhere!!!

edit: nevermind....

"The keynote address happens on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM in the Moscone West facility at San Francisco’s Moscone Convention Center." thanks to macworld google search.
    Last edited by mrlilguy157; 01-05-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast