Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 97

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: All AT&T SIM Cards Work Now

  1. #21
    O.K. Im trying this now with my current ATT sim. The only thing is, its making me go through the iPhone activation. Is this o.k.? I don't want to end up with an iPhone plan in the end.

  2. #22
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    508
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 155 Times in 54 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by randomopinion View Post
    so if i have original iphone 16gb on 2.0 firmware, i can just swap a vaild att sim in and out with no issue?

    for example if i wanted to copy my friends sim contacts real quick and then give back his sim?
    On the 3G it would work like that, on the 1st gen phone it seems you need to connect it to itunes before it works.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PhoneLine For This Useful Post:

    randomopinion (07-16-2008)

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by kline1 View Post
    Maybe if you read the threads title it will help you a little......." All AT&T SIM Cards Work Now " OMFG ...Who said anything about t-mobile.
    omfg lmaol the best quote ever.... peace (who said anything about t-mobile) lol keep up the good work.. half the people in here are dumm as rocks. peace

  5. #24
    ok so I'm still confused. I have an AT&T sim from another phone that I've had , then I got iPhone and I got it unlocked and jailbroken. I still pay my old plan with a data plan. I want to upgrade to 2.0 but I do not want pay for iPhone plans. If I upgrade I know I will have to upgrade my plan. Am I waiting for unlock or jailbroken?

  6. #25
    When I bought my 3G iPhone, the AT&T guys did not set up my plan correctly. So, once I got my old 2G iPhone working for my son, and my 3G working, each were on a $20 2G plan. I could not notice much difference in Internet speed until I called AT&T and switched to the 3G data plan. Even though my phone said 3G on the signal bar, it was still fairly slow. However GPS worked and it performed at least as good as my old 2G. So, yeah, keep the old 2G data plan and 200 text msgs - but also the keep the same 2G internet speed when in 3G country.

  7. #26
    I got the iPhone 3G yesterday and the lady at the store activated it (so i thought). Well when i left it showed i had service and everything, but then i looked at my old iPhone which still had the old SIM in it and that ALSO had service. I used another phone to call my number and my OLD iPhone rang... I came home switched SIM cards and hooked my old iPhone up to my PC and its telling me to set up a new plan and what not. If i switch them back and try hooking up my new iPhone to my PC nothing happens... I dont get this.. I Cant use my new SIM for my new iPhone 3G, but it has service...

  8. #27
    Default both
    just stay on 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbroken until the dev team releases their unlock/jailbreak methods.

    once they are released, you will be able to upgrade to 2.0, jailbreak/unlock it, and then continue to use your plan as it is, without having to pay the iphone plans. if you upgrade to 2.0 right now, you will have to activate it through itunes, which in turn will force you to have a 2G data plan

  9. #28
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Slashwrist View Post
    ok so I'm still confused. I have an AT&T sim from another phone that I've had , then I got iPhone and I got it unlocked and jailbroken. I still pay my old plan with a data plan. I want to upgrade to 2.0 but I do not want pay for iPhone plans. If I upgrade I know I will have to upgrade my plan. Am I waiting for unlock or jailbroken?
    For you it wouldn't matter.

    Jailbraking allows any sim from the official provider of iPhone in that country to work. Eg, all O2 in UK sims would work, all AT&T sims in USA would work, T-Mobile sims in Germany etc. You get the idea.

    Unlocking would allow any sim in the world to work no matter where the iPhone was bought.

    I think I'm right anyway.

  10. #29
    well then I'm still waiting for pwnage from dev team then.

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashwrist View Post
    ok so I'm still confused. I have an AT&T sim from another phone that I've had , then I got iPhone and I got it unlocked and jailbroken. I still pay my old plan with a data plan. I want to upgrade to 2.0 but I do not want pay for iPhone plans. If I upgrade I know I will have to upgrade my plan. Am I waiting for unlock or jailbroken?
    Sort of like my question, if its like my answer then you would need to still activate in iTunes once you swap in that sim, which then does what to your plan?

    a) will ask you to sign up for an iphone plan
    b) just activate knowing it is a sim with an att plan

    If the answer is a) you obviously need to wait for a jailbreak/fake activation for 2.0

    *this is only because you have the original iphone, if you had a 3g then it would just work without connecting to iTunes. but trying to physically acquire a 3g iphone without a contract, that may be tough. Again this is what I gather, please correct me if I'm wrong

  12. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by randomopinion View Post
    Sort of like my question, if its like my answer then you would need to still activate in iTunes once you swap in that sim, which then does what to your plan?

    a) will ask you to sign up for an iphone plan
    b) just activate knowing it is a sim with an att plan

    If the answer is a) you obviously need to wait for a jailbreak/fake activation for 2.0

    *this is only because you have the original iphone, if you had a 3g then it would just work without connecting to iTunes. but trying to physically acquire a 3g iphone without a contract, that may be tough. Again this is what I gather, please correct me if I'm wrong
    I'm waiting on someone to confirm this also. I'm hoping the answer is B.

  13. #32
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by randomopinion View Post
    Sort of like my question, if its like my answer then you would need to still activate in iTunes once you swap in that sim, which then does what to your plan?

    a) will ask you to sign up for an iphone plan
    b) just activate knowing it is a sim with an att plan

    If the answer is a) you obviously need to wait for a jailbreak/fake activation for 2.0

    *this is only because you have the original iphone, if you had a 3g then it would just work without connecting to iTunes. but trying to physically acquire a 3g iphone without a contract, that may be tough. Again this is what I gather, please correct me if I'm wrong
    I need a confirm on this also. I've been phoneless for 5 days waiting for this "pwnagetool" because i accidently updated to 2.0.

  14. #33
    If this is true? Then if and when and its only a matter of time before I come across a 3g iPhone on the street. I will be able to pop my current att activated sim card in that 3g and be good to go.... Freaking awsome....

  15. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmsam View Post
    Now that this cat is out of the bag... here is a new one:

    I bought a 3G, signed up for the $30 data plan and activated it normally.

    Took the chip out of the 3G, placed it on a 2G and signed up for the regular 2G $20 data plan with the same number.

    Took the chip back to the 3G iPhone (it did not require reactivation) and now I am running a 2G cheaper data plan with my new 3G.

    Can't escape the contract extension, but saves some $$$ over the long term.
    thats nothing man. i have a 2G iphone i am using on AT&T. in their billing system i have a moto razr listed. i masked my imei with the imei from the razr listed in the billing system. so the imei reported by the network is the same listed in teh bililng system, and nobody is the wiser.

    why is this significant? because the razr's connection is through medianet ($15 for unlimited access) and the iphone has its own $20 plan. ($30/3G) so... at&T thinks i have a razr, charges me the rate for the razr, i save money.

  16. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by randomopinion View Post
    Sort of like my question, if its like my answer then you would need to still activate in iTunes once you swap in that sim, which then does what to your plan?

    a) will ask you to sign up for an iphone plan
    b) just activate knowing it is a sim with an att plan

    If the answer is a) you obviously need to wait for a jailbreak/fake activation for 2.0

    *this is only because you have the original iphone, if you had a 3g then it would just work without connecting to iTunes. but trying to physically acquire a 3g iphone without a contract, that may be tough. Again this is what I gather, please correct me if I'm wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    If this is true? Then if and when and its only a matter of time before I come across a 3g iPhone on the street. I will be able to pop my current att activated sim card in that 3g and be good to go.... Freaking awsome....

    this is true and I've confirmed this already. any ATT sim in a 3g iPhone works. Now i'm waiting on someone to confirm that any ATT sim will work on a 2g iPhone running 2.0

  17. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by burr1t0 View Post
    this is true and I've confirmed this already. any ATT sim in a 3g iPhone works. Now i'm waiting on someone to confirm that any ATT sim will work on a 2g iPhone running 2.0
    It does work.. I put my OLD iPhone SIM (which had 2.0) into my New iPhone 3G and it had service. The part i dont get is how the new SIM card in the iPhone 3G shows it has service and i can call out but i dont receive calls my OLD iPhone recives the calls... Can anyone explain that to me? When i replace the new SIM card with the OLD one i get service both ways incoming and outgoing in my iphone 3G...

  18. #37
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    im sorry for asking this, but i get lost so easily..

    u guys are talkin about the $200/300 3G iphones, right? so if i buy an 8GB iphone for $200, i wont have to subscribe to a plan to get it activated it if i have a go phone simcard?

    and also, if i buy the $600 (if its available and this wud be stupid if the above is true) its already unlocked for any simcard or does it still only accept at&t??

    thanks alot
    8GB 2G OS3.0 iPhone Unlocked+JailBroken

  19. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager673 View Post
    It does work.. I put my OLD iPhone SIM (which had 2.0) into my New iPhone 3G and it had service. The part i dont get is how the new SIM card in the iPhone 3G shows it has service and i can call out but i dont receive calls my OLD iPhone recives the calls... Can anyone explain that to me? When i replace the new SIM card with the OLD one i get service both ways incoming and outgoing in my iphone 3G...
    they probably didn't deactivate your old sim somehow. you might want to go to an att store and have that fixed

  20. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by burr1t0 View Post
    they probably didn't deactivate your old sim somehow. you might want to an att store and have that fixed
    Oh alright then i will go to the store I will tell you how that goes.

  21. #40
    iPhoneaholic Kruejl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    For you it wouldn't matter.

    Jailbraking allows any sim from the official provider of iPhone in that country to work. Eg, all O2 in UK sims would work, all AT&T sims in USA would work, T-Mobile sims in Germany etc. You get the idea.

    Unlocking would allow any sim in the world to work no matter where the iPhone was bought.

    I think I'm right anyway.
    Jailbreaking has NOTHING to do with whether a different SIM will work or not. It opens up read/write/system file access to install third party apps or whatever.

    Unlocking is what allows a different carrier's SIM to work in the phone.

    BTW, this is one of the most confusing threads ever.
    Apples taste good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •